2018-19 Roster talk; Part three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
shat if the flyers were able to get quick from Los Angeles for Nuevy/3rd rounder/and a b prospect. Would we all be against that still?

I think Fletcher needs to make something happen in season because a wishlist of 1 goalie/1 top 4 defenseman/1 top six forward is hard to get in just a short few months.

Quick traded for in season.

Sign Panarin this off season

During the draft trade for Trouba or another top 4 defenseman available. Signing Karlsson might be difficult with Panarin signing.

Give the team a chance with the new lineup and then if they don’t succeed shake it up. Voracek would be the first option to be traded of course. But I’m looking for a hockey trade.

I don't see how LA trades Quick for that. I think they are expecting at least a 1st rounder and top prospect - Flyers first and Carter Hart, or Flyers first and Frost, or maybe both. He has 4 years left at a reasonable cap hit for a starting goaltender with two Cups. How many other goalies can claim all that?

I expect the Flyers to do something like that because I don't trust that Holmgren isn't creeping around in the background trying to pull off some stupid thing like this. I would not trade Frost or Hart or our first unless somebody like Matthews is coming our way, which is not going to happen.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
@Here4ThaList the other thread closed before I could get to it, but I just wanted to say that Doug Crossman is WAY out of place on that list - I realize that you called him a "whipping boy," and that was true, but he was an excellent part of that defense and played a crucial role in the run to the Finals and extending the Oilers to seven games in 1987.

I had to get that off my chest. Because when I tell people about my Crossman #3 home sweater with the #31 patch, I want them to understand why I had it lol

No doubt. Crossman and Marsh were awesome. Those top 4 d-men of the Flyers back then (including Howe-McCrimmon) were so good.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don't see how LA trades Quick for that. I think they are expecting at least a 1st rounder and top prospect - Flyers first and Carter Hart, or Flyers first and Frost, or maybe both. He has 4 years left at a reasonable cap hit for a starting goaltender with two Cups. How many other goalies can claim all that?

I expect the Flyers to do something like that because I don't trust that Holmgren isn't creeping around in the background trying to pull off some stupid thing like this. I would not trade Frost or Hart or our first unless somebody like Matthews is coming our way, which is not going to happen.
If that’s what LA wants in return then Quick won’t be traded.

The LA beat writer seemed to suggest he could be the first one dealt

Last edited:

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Trading for Quick would be disastrous.
Its one thing if Fletch and co wanna ride false hope and try to make the playoffs for #PRIDE.

Its another thing if they wanna throw away cap needlessly. That just exacerbates the problem.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
Patrick should have been on the PP1 since the start of the season, but it makes me wonder if they kept Simmonds there to try and keep his value higher. I don't mind Fletcher taking his time making moves either. I think at the deadline or a little before he will end up making more moves after he has watched the team and got to know everyone a little better.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Trading for Quick would be disastrous.
Its one thing if Fletch and co wanna ride false hope and try to make the playoffs for #PRIDE.

Its another thing if they wanna throw away cap needlessly. That just exacerbates the problem.
The season is almost surely lost.

I want quick for next year. At 5.8 per year him and Hart can share the net. If it’s not quick we are looking at Bob or Varlomov. Both I believe will get longer term and $ on the market. Quick gives us a component #1 who can become a great 1-2 punch when Hart takes over.

Reactions: Rebels57

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I'm open to Quick, injury risk aside, and I agree it's more for next year. A savvy GM can always move players, especially if we have an excellent prospect pipeline that's continually restocked. There's always risk but doing nothing is also painful (at least as a fan).

If Hart was 23 and fully capable to ascend to play 60 games then fine but he's only 20 and it would immensely help him to learn from Quick and play his role as 1B or b/up depending on health/usage, but still seen as the future.

With that tandem, solid coaching, adding Myers, Frost and possibly a bigger f/a like Panarin and we can be a legit team.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I’m holding onto our first no matter what. Quick isn’t worth it anyway. I don’t mind 2nd+ for him.

That top 10 pick is my ammo to land a Pietrangelo or Trouba. Of course I would add but it is a very good start. You trade in season for quick. At the draft for a top 4 defenseman. Then sign Panarin.

Let the team play next year and see where you end up. If they miss the playoffs, I’m all for a huge shake up.

You manage to trade Macdonald and free up 5 million this and signing our RFAs is very possible. And would have some room left over.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
You guys surprise me a lot. The support for Quick is baffling. 4 years left after this season @ 5.8 million. He'll be 33 years old in less than a month with very bright neon signs saying "I'm breaking down physically" in his injury history. Yiiiikes.

Quick has issues for sure but he's a buy-low candidate with upside.

If Crawford is done it's challenging to find a veteran goalie with any kind of track record.

UFAs
Bob
Varlamov

Both will get too much money and too many years for our needs

Mike Smith 36
Jimmy Howard 34
Cam Talbot 30
Cam Ward 34
Brian Elliott 33
Michael Neuvirth 30

Any of these guys interest you? Koskinen? Kincaid?
Trade for Lundqvist? Trade for Halak?

Reactions: flyersfan187

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
You guys surprise me a lot. The support for Quick is baffling. 4 years left after this season @ 5.8 million. He'll be 33 years old in less than a month with very bright neon signs saying "I'm breaking down physically" in his injury history. Yiiiikes.

I know I am in the minority here, but I liked Hextall's patience. After spending decades watching teams who always tried to fix the team through trading instead of building from within, and leaving the team short of its goal, I just figure the Flyers way is to always do that; so I expect a trading of youth and prospects for a veteran. I think it makes little sense at all, but, aside from the Hextall years, this is how the Flyers roll. With Holmgren still lurking about, I assume he will have some influence. This is the guy who traded a first for Steve Eminger and a first for Kris Versteeg and traded Bobrovsky while signing Bryz to a giant contract. Not all of his moves were bad, but as a true Philly fan, I always remember the negative.

For a team that struggles with injured goaltenders, I would in no way commit to a guy for 4 years with recent injury problems.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Quick has issues for sure but he's a buy-low candidate with upside.

If Crawford is done it's challenging to find a veteran goalie with any kind of track record.

UFAs
Bob
Varlamov

Both will get too much money and too many years for our needs

Mike Smith 36
Jimmy Howard 34
Cam Talbot 30
Cam Ward 34
Brian Elliott 33
Michael Neuvirth 30

Any of these guys interest you? Koskinen? Kincaid?
Trade for Lundqvist? Trade for Halak?
And that's the big issue.

Only Quick, Bob and Varly are clear upgrades on what we can have with Elliott at 3 million.

The one thing with quick, is how much his "real" money is the last 3 years: 3.5, 3 and 2.5. So he could be movable to a non cap team the last 2 years if you wanted the cap space back, most likely.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Quick has had seasons of 72, 69, 72, 68, & 64 regular season games played. In the year with 69, he added 20 more in the playoffs carrying them to the Cup.

Some here would consider this an impossible feat & call the Dept of Services on Terry Murray & Darryl Sutter for abuse.

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
I could see the downside. No doubt about that. His age, usage, style and injury history are a concern, if not a down right red flag.

I'm just tired of mediocrity. Yes, I believe in Hart, but it would do him no harm to ease him into the #1 position on our team in 2 years (allowing him to be the b/up to Quick). He'd only be 22.

IF the team looked into his health history and determined he's worth the risk AND the price is reasonable, I'd be pretty excited to add him to the team.

He'd be the best goalie we'd have had in an eternity and when "on" is one of a few goalies who can win playoff series on his own.

As @Tripod stated, his actual salary drops, making him desirable to a low budget team.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
If he’s so poor he needs to be traded, his actual salary makes him desirable by attaching an asset with him to dump him. It doesn’t make him desirable. There’s a key distinction.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
@Here4ThaList the other thread closed before I could get to it, but I just wanted to say that Doug Crossman is WAY out of place on that list - I realize that you called him a "whipping boy," and that was true, but he was an excellent part of that defense and played a crucial role in the run to the Finals and extending the Oilers to seven games in 1987.

I had to get that off my chest. Because when I tell people about my Crossman #3 home sweater with the #31 patch, I want them to understand why I had it lol

Maybe you should have gotten that Crossman sweater off your chest instead :naughty:

No, seriously, I don't dislike Dougie at all. And you're absolutely right, he doesn't belong on that list at all, especially after glancing at his numbers again. Maybe years of biased old-timers bellyaching have rotted my memory? Seems like he still gets it worse than Therien. I'll see if I can edit him out [Update: Nope!].

More to the larger point, it really is hard to pull names from that era when people didn't laugh at the notion of a 'Flyers Way'. It just seems like you either grew to be a competent contributor, were unceremoniously traded, or your coach grabbed you by the neck in the locker room. :eek:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
What's wrong with just signing Varlamov or Keith Kinkaid in the offseason? They are reasonably aged, productive, not falling apart, and won't command long contracts. Maybe even add Mikko Koskinen or Robin Lehner to that list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->