2018-19 Roster Speculation: Tis the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I am not sure Nylander will be succesfull on his opposite side on the right side so it's all wishful thinking right now.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Am I crazy for thinking Beaulieau has actually looked alright so far?

He's had a few bonehead moments. But I think he's been a legit 3rd pair defenseman overall. After scoring that goal the other night, he went on a rampage and played REAL well for the next period or two.

Once Bogo comes back, we might actually have a legit 3rd pairing.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Some trade targets:

Chris Tierney. Would slot real well as the 3C in a Bonino role. Pushes Berglund to 4C.

Colton Sissons. Same idea as Tierney, except as more of a bottom 6 swing player.

Sam Bennett. Change of scenery might do him good.

We need to upgrade our RW and the player i would target is Brendan Gallagher, if Montreal is truly interested in moving a winger as rumoured. Good contract. Gritty.
LD - Karl Alzner has been a health scratch this season with 4 years left on his deal.
Botts likes his combo trades...

Okposo and McCabe?? Plus.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
We need to upgrade our RW and the player i would target is Brendan Gallagher, if Montreal is truly interested in moving a winger as rumoured. Good contract. Gritty.
LD - Karl Alzner has been a health scratch this season with 4 years left on his deal.
Botts likes his combo trades...

Okposo and McCabe?? Plus.

Would love to get Gallagher.

Reactions: Sabreality

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
He's had a few bonehead moments. But I think he's been a legit 3rd pair defenseman overall. After scoring that goal the other night, he went on a rampage and played REAL well for the next period or two.

I even recall games last year when Beaulieu was just fine in a 3rd pairing role. It's when you start requiring 20 minutes a night that you get into read trouble with the guy.

Reactions: Fezzy126

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

It’s a crazy world when you think Bogo and blowyou together could be workable. And it’s a perfectly reasonable scenario.

This season is going to be bizarre.

Reactions: steveoath

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Would anyone give up one of either Nylander or Guhle if it meant someone took Okposo and we give zero retention. He is now that bad and his contract is one of the worst in the league. We cannot commit 6 mil a year for 4 more years after this one. That money needs to go to Skinner and Sheary. I reluctantly would package Guhle with Okposo.

Best case scenario is we can do something like our middle first round pick in the mid teens and we trade to the end of the first for someone to take Okposos deal. Wishful thinking.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Way-too-early-5-game-takes:
I've had less of a problem with lines and usage than I've had for any Sabres coach since we were last in the playoffs, probably. Here's why - I've liked Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart, which I think will get better and better offensively (Sam is playing well and will start popping them in sooner or later) and wanted this trio since we acquired Conor. The 4th line is about the only way we could get use out of Pommers, and we are. Girgs has looked okay in that role too, and Erod makes it dangerous. I think these two lines are set in stone as far as being good in their specific roles/domains. And the think I've liked about Phil is that in his several attempts to get the other two going, he hasn't messed with these two. I want that to continue.

Now, it is of course important that we figure out how to get the other guys going. Skinner is gonna Skinner, he's a cockroach in nuclear winter - he'll keep doing his things whether he's out there with the best or out there by himself 5 on 3. Not worried about that other than eventually finding some chemistry pairs (Sam if we ever decide to upgrade ERod and see if he can hang with Jack?). The most pressing issue is that, from what we've seen, you cannot guarantee that any of Berglund, Sobotka, Okposo, Tage, and Casey will start reliably producing, because they don't consistently generate anything of note outside of fluke looks that usually don't get buried. Good middle sixes in hockey play solid fundamentally and it leads to scoring chances like clockwork - slower clockwork than top lines, but you should be able to set your watch by it.

We don't have that because Kyle is shot (even though he hasn't been a super anchor yet, he can't create sustainably), Berglund and Sobotka never bring that kind of game, they gum things up by nature (and that's being used pretty well by Phil) and Tage and Casey are a bit weak and their brains haven't fully adjusted yet. I think they have a chance of providing this offense before the season is out, but for the next batch of weeks, there's no guarantee and we need to keep chugging along to give ourselves a real chance when things DO come together, as we have the best chance of in-season development with this organizational roster that we've had in some time. I have no idea what the combos and players should be for this middle six, but Phil's tough job will be to figure it out.

Real goaltending makes a world of difference and will help us in the quest to clawing in points until we're humming. Please, you two, keep this up. You're going to give us a chance this year if you do.

I hate our defense, but I like our pairings for what we have, but shave a minute and a tough situation or two off of Risto/Scandella and give it to Dahlin's pair. Focus on finding a guy that can pair with Rasmus on the top pairing next season this offseason, so that Risto and Scandella can settle in nicer roles behind them, because they're having a tough time right now and are going to be run into the ground with these minutes which we've all cautioned against every coach since Ted as far as Risto is concerned

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The positive thing about the individual heroics is that we didn’t get this kind of stuff the last four years (or is it more?). The negative is that our small success is built on taskwork and not teamwork. Our record will get a lot worse unless we get Maradona/Gretzky/Lemieux/Hasek level of taskwork from Eichel, Hutton and company.

This is mostly on Housley even if some players don’t have the ability to contribute in a meaningful way.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Would anyone give up one of either Nylander or Guhle if it meant someone took Okposo and we give zero retention. He is now that bad and his contract is one of the worst in the league. We cannot commit 6 mil a year for 4 more years after this one. That money needs to go to Skinner and Sheary. I reluctantly would package Guhle with Okposo.

Best case scenario is we can do something like our middle first round pick in the mid teens and we trade to the end of the first for someone to take Okposos deal. Wishful thinking.
Unless we have an actual 2C ready for next season I’d rather trade Scandella to make room. I’d be happy to give up one of Skinner/Sheary as well if we could get a good return. Considering how Mittelstadt looks and Nylander being in the AHL their next desls will probably be bridges due to small sample size of success or bustfactor...

It might be better to put Okposo in Rochester and then LTIR. His contract is pretty much buyout proof.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I've had less of a problem with lines and usage than I've had for any Sabres coach since we were last in the playoffs, probably. Here's why - I've liked Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart, which I think will get better and better offensively (Sam is playing well and will start popping them in sooner or later) and wanted this trio since we acquired Conor. The 4th line is about the only way we could get use out of Pommers, and we are. Girgs has looked okay in that role too, and Erod makes it dangerous. I think these two lines are set in stone as far as being good in their specific roles/domains. And the think I've liked about Phil is that in his several attempts to get the other two going, he hasn't messed with these two. I want that to continue.

Now, it is of course important that we figure out how to get the other guys going. Skinner is gonna Skinner, he's a cockroach in nuclear winter - he'll keep doing his things whether he's out there with the best or out there by himself 5 on 3. Not worried about that other than eventually finding some chemistry pairs (Sam if we ever decide to upgrade ERod and see if he can hang with Jack?). The most pressing issue is that, from what we've seen, you cannot guarantee that any of Berglund, Sobotka, Okposo, Tage, and Casey will start reliably producing, because they don't consistently generate anything of note outside of fluke looks that usually don't get buried. Good middle sixes in hockey play solid fundamentally and it leads to scoring chances like clockwork - slower clockwork than top lines, but you should be able to set your watch by it.

We don't have that because Kyle is shot (even though he hasn't been a super anchor yet, he can't create sustainably), Berglund and Sobotka never bring that kind of game, they gum things up by nature (and that's being used pretty well by Phil) and Tage and Casey are a bit weak and their brains haven't fully adjusted yet. I think they have a chance of providing this offense before the season is out, but for the next batch of weeks, there's no guarantee and we need to keep chugging along to give ourselves a real chance when things DO come together, as we have the best chance of in-season development with this organizational roster that we've had in some time. I have no idea what the combos and players should be for this middle six, but Phil's tough job will be to figure it out.

Real goaltending makes a world of difference and will help us in the quest to clawing in points until we're humming. Please, you two, keep this up. You're going to give us a chance this year if you do.

I hate our defense, but I like our pairings for what we have, but shave a minute and a tough situation or two off of Risto/Scandella and give it to Dahlin's pair. Focus on finding a guy that can pair with Rasmus on the top pairing next season this offseason, so that Risto and Scandella can settle in nicer roles behind them, because they're having a tough time right now and are going to be run into the ground with these minutes which we've all cautioned against every coach since Ted as far as Risto is concerned
I agree with most of you comments about the lines. I’m certainly higher on Mittelstadt and thought he looked real solid last night. Getting better every game.

Dreaming of the day Okposo, Sbotka and Berglund are replaced with Swedish treo of Asplund, Olofsson and Nylander.

Reactions: Reddawg

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Spot on.

Regarding our defense, I'd like to see closer to a Nashville or Anaheim type of deployment where the top 4 is all relatively even, I don't think we need to live in a world where 1 pair is buried and everyone else is sheltered.

I would also love to see someone like Pilut paired with Risto. For all the grief Risto gets around here, he has very distinct strengths, and distinct weaknesses. I think his strengths get overlooked and his weaknesses overblown... I think Pilut's ability to outlet, exit the zone, and jump into the play could compliment Risto's game very well. We could then slide Scandella down with Dahlin, and McCabe down with [insert Bogo injury replacement here].

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Nelson gotta go. Adds nothing offensively and is Antipinesque in the D zone. Other than him the roster is solid. Feels great to not be a laughing stock anymore.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
We get Ellie for free who's similar to Carrier. We lose Carrier and keep Ullmark and give up a 6th I believe and people are calling out Botterill. I admire Botterill's patience. Would love to get rid of a lot of fluff contracts but he's not jepoardizing the future cap for interim. I would like to see him get rid of Okposo and Berglund's long-term deals but after this year we lose Pominiville, Moulson, and Larsson (11 million) and can hopefully re-sign Skinner. The following year we get rid of Bogosian, Sobotka, Scandella, Hunwick (16 million) to re-sign Reinhart and Dahlin long-term.

Buyout calculator time

Okposo - This would be tough and literally impact our cap for a while. If we can give him to Seattle somehow, that would be huge. Or if a new CBA happens, and we get a compliance buy out that would also be great
2019-20$3,000,000$6,000,000$1,000,000$2,000,000$4,000,000
2020-21$3,000,000$6,000,000$1,000,000$2,000,000$4,000,000
2021-22$2,000,000$6,000,000$1,000,000$1,000,000$5,000,000
2022-23$4,000,000$6,000,000$1,000,000$3,000,000$3,000,000
2023-24$0$0$1,000,000-$1,000,000$1,000,000
2024-25$0$0$1,000,000-$1,000,000$1,000,000
2025-26$0$0$1,000,000-$1,000,000$1,000,000
2026-27$0$0$1,000,000-$1,000,000$1,000,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Berglund - Not really worth it, better off letting him play out on the fourth line as a purely defensive center

2019-20$4,500,000$3,850,000$1,094,444$3,405,556$444,444
2020-21$2,900,000$3,850,000$1,094,444$1,805,556$2,044,444
2021-22$2,450,000$3,850,000$1,094,444$1,355,556$2,494,444
2022-23$0$0$1,094,444-$1,094,444$1,094,444
2023-24$0$0$1,094,444-$1,094,444$1,094,444
2024-25$0$0$1,094,444-$1,094,444$1,094,444
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

We are still paying Cody Hodgson until 2022-2023, $791,667

Our RFA situation is going to be real interesting next year: Who is qualified for more than they are making currently?

Girgensons making 1.6 - 50/50

Beaulieu making 2.4 - No

McCabe making 1.6 - 50/50

Larsson making 1.475 - No

The other RFAs are all signigantly less money and likely to be qualified minus a few prospects.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
No need to buy out Berglund or look to move him. For how he has played defensively and in late game situations he has earned his sub 4 mil aav. Even in the last year or two if he falls off offensively he would still be a solid vet def. Center like a Matt Cullen.
Okposo though....6 mil for 4 more years AFTER this one. I thought we would at least get one more 50+ point year out of him before he became a 35 to 40 point player but he is approaching Moulson level drop off.

Hopefully Seattle can be bribed with a 2nd and a decent prospect at the expansion draft.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Am I crazy for thinking Beaulieau has actually looked alright so far?

Offensively he looks fine, he's still terrible in his zone. He has looked better than Casey Nelson as of late though, which I feel bad for Casey. No one should be worse than Beaulieu on this team outside of Bogosian since he barely sees the ice outside of the view from the press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad