2018-19 Roster Speculation: Tis the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I would assume Mittelstadt on PP1 is an attempt to get him going. But I would’ve moved Okposo, not Sheary. That being said, it’s early, try anything.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Way I would look at it is that they want a dman with a nhl future on each pairing. Pilut will get some games up here.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I hate that Okposo is on pp1 and I think that he is the weak link at the half wall, but I will say that his move when he fakes the shot and then throws a backhand pass to Risto is pretty effective. Reference Jack's pp goal against Vegas to see what I'm referring to.

Also Sam Reinhart's hand-eye coordination is insanely good. Like possibly best in the league. He knocks down every puck that is in the air and it's really impressive to see. I think the Sabres should utilize that by running some set plays on the powerplay where Sam is next to the net waiting to tip in a pass from Jack or Mitts like how Crosby does all of the time.
They should also run more stuff through Reinhart behind the net on the PP. Lots of untapped potential there.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I wonder if Mats Zucarello could be a target for this team. He is in the last year of his contract, shouldn’t cost a ton, and can slot in as one of our better RWs by default.

Thoughts?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I wonder if Mats Zucarello could be a target for this team. He is in the last year of his contract, shouldn’t cost a ton, and can slot in as one of our better RWs by default.

Thoughts?
He's been the top scorer for NYR for a few years now. Idk if he'll be cheap

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
why would they have Pilut on the 3rd pair? Is he getting the Antipin treatment?

I wouldn't look at that lineup and label Pilut on the 3rd pair or Asplund on the 3rd line just because of the way the graphic was put together.

Looking at those D pairs, I seems like Taylor is trying to spread the talent throughout the lineup and have a nice offensive-defensive blend amongst all three D pairs.

And they are all pretty even.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Looking at that Rochester line-up makes me pray for more center depth in the system within the next year or so. Yes, I know we have Mittelstadt up, but that play down the middle is paltry outside of Asplund.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee

Thoughts?

If it's for the right price sure, however at this point I'd rather keep assets in place. If we're really "seriously" in the hunt for the playoffs sure he's a solid two way reliable RW. He's also from a speed skill asset wise, a giant upgrade over Okposo.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Malone, O'Regan, Oglevie as further depth. Just need to keep drafting. It's not a big issue with Eichel entrenched and Mitts hopefully panning out at the position.
The possibility of moving Reinhart to C is also always on the table. We're fine at the position long-term.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
No high-level deadline rentals, please.
I don't really envision a scenario where such a move makes sense, but it's not like there's any risk of them making a move like that now, so maybe we should wait and see where the team is closer to the deadline before worrying about such things.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
even if we are in the wild card hunt by deadline I can't see this team making any deadline acquisitions when management knows we aren't there for a cup run yet.

no premature splashes needed.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
This year will hopefully be fun, but looking further ahead, this off-season could be really fun with 3 potential first round picks, Eichel locked up long term, Dahlin still on an ELC and the possibility of using some of that draft capital and prospect depth to go after an established younger player (ex. Trouba). Idk if it’s realistic or not, but if they could walk into next year with a defense having Scandella-Risto, McCabe-Dahlin, Pilut-Trouba, that’d be a heck of s defense group and maybe something to counteract long term the forward heavy Leafs.

I just wonder if something around Guhle+1st+forward prospect not named Asplund could get us a nice piece to go with Risto and Dahlin long term.

Maybe I’m looking too far ahead, but the draft capital this off-season, combined with having Eichel up front and Dahlin on the back end is really enticing.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This year will hopefully be fun, but looking further ahead, this off-season could be really fun with 3 potential first round picks, Eichel locked up long term, Dahlin still on an ELC and the possibility of using some of that draft capital and prospect depth to go after an established younger player (ex. Trouba). Idk if it’s realistic or not, but if they could walk into next year with a defense having Scandella-Risto, McCabe-Dahlin, Pilut-Trouba, that’d be a heck of s defense group and maybe something to counteract long term the forward heavy Leafs.

I just wonder if something around Guhle+1st+forward prospect not named Asplund could get us a nice piece to go with Risto and Dahlin long term.

Maybe I’m looking too far ahead, but the draft capital this off-season, combined with having Eichel up front and Dahlin on the back end is really enticing.

Big question for me is if they re-sign Skinner.

First factor will be how well he does for us this year, but I do wonder if it's feasible for us to lock him up to a 7x7 deal.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Big question for me is if they re-sign Skinner.

First factor will be how well he does for us this year, but I do wonder if it's feasible for us to lock him up to a 7x7 deal.

This is basically my nightmare. Unless the new CBA includes a compliance buy out or two they'd be F'd in the C.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
This is basically my nightmare. Unless the new CBA includes a compliance buy out or two they'd be F'd in the C.

Yea but even if they signed Skinner and another guy at $7M each, they’d still be about a couple million under the cap, even with Bogosian on the roster, along with Sobotka.

I would prefer to keep a Skinner deal to five years. Seems like the going rate for a lot of the term unless the guys are franchise players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->