2018-19 Roster Speculation: Tis the season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Girgensons on the Berglund RW, Sobotka to 4C, Elie/AHL rotation over Larsson.

I dunno, I thought Larsson worked hard today. Yeah, he's not going to provide any meaningful offense, but he's a pain to play against, brings a PK presence and isn't slow as molasses.

Girgensons-Larsson-Sobotka would be a nice line to put out against other teams' secondary scoring lines, IMO.

Reactions: Sabreality

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I dunno, I thought Larsson worked hard today. Yeah, he's not going to provide any meaningful offense, but he's a pain to play against, brings a PK presence and isn't slow as molasses.

Girgensons-Larsson-Sobotka would be a nice line to put out against other teams' secondary scoring lines, IMO.
Berglund-Girgensons does a lot of those same things with better players. Larsson doesn't have to hit waivers, but on the season I'll take Elie's special teams value and the AHL upside, until Johan strings together more games like this.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd still like to see some early-season shopping for defense. Dahlin is a keeper. Risto without the minutes/responsibilities too. Then after that, getting someone to push everyone down the lineup would be helpful. Having to rely on Bogo, McCabe, and the faltering Scandella with Beaulieu as depth is maddening. I wonder if Pilut could be that guy?

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

All I could think today was: I sure hope there's an abundance of pro scouts watching this game, this is the 1st time in 3 years that Larsson didn't look useless. Maybe someone can be fooled into taking him off our hands.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
All I could think today was: I sure hope there's an abundance of pro scouts watching this game, this is the 1st time in 3 years that Larsson didn't look useless. Maybe someone can be fooled into taking him off our hands.

They could use film/viewing from the WC's where he was effective in a shutdown/PK role too. Amazing how even on bigger ice he looked better than he did since before the arm injury in that tournie, even though he's not the swiftest skater in the pack.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I'd rather put Larsson (or Elie), Sobotka and Okposo on the 4th line and play them about 5 mins plus PK time. Minimize their poor play, ice the top nine about 14-17 mins each, plus PP time. If you stink for 4-6 games, get benched or get 4th line duty. Let the effective players get ice time.
You don't need to be so aggressive with the TOI cut, but this should happen as soon as possible.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
Not many teams in the league, if any, currently have the U23 talent that we do quantity/quality wise.

Eichel, Dahlin, Mitts, Reinhart, Nylander, Asplund, Olfosson, Tage, Guhle, Pilut, and Risto along with Ullmark is an elite U23 group of players.

Reactions: schpaff

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Hypothetical:

You can sign Skinner or Stone for the same money, and it isn’t cheap, which one?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Hypothetical:

You can sign Skinner or Stone for the same money, and it isn’t cheap, which one?

Skinner. He already has shown to click here, he waived a nmc to come to Buffalo and is a legit 30 goal winger. Stone is very good and better overall but I think Skinner fits better. Stone is like the winger version of RoR (not a bad thing) good two way hockey and if given 20 mins he will get you 60 points. Skinner otoh will get you more goals and the same point total in several less minutes with more efficiency. I also love Skinners speed.

Now if Skinner leaves then Stone is the only acceptable replacement. I also think Stone will be getting 7.5 mil maybe 8. I think we can get Skinner extender for a team friendly 6-6.5 per over 6 or 7 years.

I would love if Botts could get Skinner extended for 6 or 7 years at closer to 6 then 7.

It is crazy to compare Okposo, slow, declining 30 point type player with a 6 mil aav and then Skinner, fast, exciting, 30 goal winger at 5.8. Give Skinner 6.25-6.5 long term and figure out what to do with Okposo.

Moulson and Okposo should have zero bearing on a Skinner extension. Fast, athletic top line wingers like Skinner and Evander are safe to give 7 year deals to, especially when they end by age 33. You think San Jose is regretting the Kane deal? I always said I would give Kane 7x7 and Doug Wilson a top GM did. But even better Botts brought in a better and cheaper winger.

Reactions: Rasmus CacOlainen

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It would be so much better to use one of our firsts to go after a younger winger than sign any winger to high end ufa money. Barring us being in a playoff spot, skinner should get moved at the deadline.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Not many teams in the league, if any, currently have the U23 talent that we do quantity/quality wise.

Eichel, Dahlin, Mitts, Reinhart, Nylander, Asplund, Olfosson, Tage, Guhle, Pilut, and Risto along with Ullmark is an elite U23 group of players.

This are products of the 2013-2018 draft classes. Buffalo had a ton of picks in the top 3 rounds they had over 30 picks in their possession and acquired a couple of players drafted in this range.

They key is how picks draft latter third of 1st round or later develop ( after pick 20)into nhl players.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Hypothetical:

It depends on the term. There are the sane age from the same draft. Stone will be looked at more money given current salary.

The expected sign price is around what Stone is currently making. A big issue is long term cap implications. I don’t want these players going beyond 5 years.

Thus team if the young players are successful will have cap problems.

Reactions: darcyRegier

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
It would be so much better to use one of our firsts to go after a younger winger than sign any winger to high end ufa money. Barring us being in a playoff spot, skinner should get moved at the deadline.

Are you referring to getting a player on an ELC or a player like nylander due a big long contract?

You need to strategize around the Seattle expansion draft.

SatanwasaSlovak

Jan 18, 2013
Malmö, Skåne
I'm still convinced they are giving Okposo the wrong role on the offense. He's a defensive guy either but he isn't in a position to excel at what he does best. Get him down low and let him be the power-forward that he is good at. Let him come with speed into the O-zone without the puck and he is hard to stop. Just one to touches to the puck, a shot or a pass, drive to net like E-Rod has been doing.

I noticed it again now in the latest game, the effort is there but he ends up in a position where he either has to have the smooth hands of a Pat Lafontaine or deke 2-3 guys like he's Mario Lemiuex. I would put him together with E-Rod and someone like Sam Reinhardt or something, let them break the blue-line and let Okposo come with speed towards the net and if that doesn't work, cycle the puck in the kitchen-area. It's still a very effective-spot to drive even good goaltenders useless as evident by last game where Skinner got two goals from that spot.

Stop trying to make things too fancy. Okposo is simple hockey. Keep it simple and he will be effective because it's not like the effort is not there. And he isn't done physically either. Just use him in a way that he can be an effective hockey player like he used to be.

As a side-note, i like Reinhart's game, he does many things right, the points will come eventually. Same goes for Mittlestadt who has been showing good signs and i don't understand why you would demote him at this moment, he's picking up stride and has been amongst the better players offensively at times. We're a young team, gotta have a little bit of patience. Our wily veteran, Rasmus Ristolainen who seems to have been with the team a decade is only 23.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If you assembled a Frankensteins monster of Bogo, Nelson and Huneick - what parts would you use? Beaulieu is available as well.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I'd still like to see some early-season shopping for defense. Dahlin is a keeper. Risto without the minutes/responsibilities too. Then after that, getting someone to push everyone down the lineup would be helpful. Having to rely on Bogo, McCabe, and the faltering Scandella with Beaulieu as depth is maddening. I wonder if Pilut could be that guy?

Scandella has another year left and both McCabe and Beaulieu are headed into RFA.
I’ll be interested to see how Botts leverages these assets. Especially with the likes of Pilut, Guhle and Borgen on the way.
Too much dead wood next season.

Pilut - Dahlin
XXX - Risto
Guhle - Borgen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->