Recalled/Assigned: 2018-19 Roster moves thread: 4/25 Black Aces: Suomela, True, DeSimone, Korenar and Middleton

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Watch them call up True after game 74. Use him for a 8 games and see how he does, that way they don't burn his ELC.

My understanding is that playoff games don't count towards ELC. Right?
His ELC burns no matter what, only guys playing at age 18 or 19 outside the NHL can have their contracts slide.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I thought the year of the ELC only burned if you played more than 9 games in a season. Is that not the case?
In my initial response I made a mistake, it’s not just the CHL. The whole thing is dependent on age, so once they reach a certain age (20), the contracts are used up whether they play in the NHL or not. So Gregor and Blichfeld for example, since they’re 20 and playing overage in the CHL, they’re actually burning the first year off their ELCs. Chekhovich and Chmelevski since they were 19 to start the season, their contracts slide. The 9 game threshold only applies to players under the age of 20 playing in the NHL.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
In my initial response I made a mistake, it’s not just the CHL. The whole thing is dependent on age, so once they reach a certain age (20), the contracts are used up whether they play in the NHL or not. So Gregor and Blichfeld for example, since they’re 20 and playing overage in the CHL, they’re actually burning the first year off their ELCs. Chekhovich and Chmelevski since they were 19 to start the season, their contracts slide. The 9 game threshold only applies to players under the age of 20 playing in the NHL.
Ah ok. That makes sense. Thanks.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Just based on nothing but numbers, Alex True would probably be an upgrade on Barclay Goodrow as a 4C right now.

I am thinking the only way True gets a chance this season is if Labanc gets moved by the TDL and one of the 4th liners get hurt. I can't see Melker being moved out of the lineup. And it seems like Gambrell is the 1st F call-up.

I would love to see 4th liners that are in the 0.25 to 0.3 PPG. Right now, Melker and Goodrow are at 0.2 and 0.22 respectively. That being said, Goodrow is 55% at face-offs which is pretty good. I think our 4th line is really not a problem right now. While I do expect True to be a good fit as the 4C, I don't think he will be that big of an upgrade over Goodrow.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Gambrell assigned to Cuda (scheduled to play this afternoon).

Brass will meet to talk about roster for upcoming road trip.

SharksAddict

Dec 21, 2008
Gambrell assigned to Cuda (scheduled to play this afternoon).

Brass will meet to talk about roster for upcoming road trip.

Wouldn’t be surprised if DW makes a trade before the roadie gets underway Thursday.

With all the big names out there, would make sense to strike early on second tier guys before other contenders miss out on the big guns.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Wouldn’t be surprised if DW makes a trade before the roadie gets underway Thursday.

With all the big names out there, would make sense to strike early on second tier guys before other contenders miss out on the big guns.

That’s more or less what we did in the 15-16 run to the finals. Overpayed on the first half of a trade a few days before the TDL to set the market, and then recouped a few days later when we picked up Reimer. I could definitely see Doug doing that again. I don’t think we are in on any of the “domino” pieces, like Duchene or Stone.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
That’s more or less what we did in the 15-16 run to the finals. Overpayed on the first half of a trade a few days before the TDL to set the market, and then recouped a few days later when we picked up Reimer. I could definitely see Doug doing that again. I don’t think we are in on any of the “domino” pieces, like Duchene or Stone.

People are going to be shocked if they think we’re not in on those players. We may not acquire any one of them but when the they do get traded and insiders mention the list of teams that were in on them, you can bet that they will list us as one of them.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
People are going to be shocked if they think we’re not in on those players. We may not acquire any one of them but when the they do get traded and insiders mention the list of teams that were in on them, you can bet that they will list us as one of them.

And if we don't get them and there was a massive premium got for them. You can probably point to wilson knowing he had no chance so he upped the ante on the other teams.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
DW is notorious for that anyway. We most likely do not want to give up what is being asked for the top-3 guys but after that it is pretty much fair game. If DW desperately wanted one of the 2nd tier guys he would have done so already. It would probably have been an overpayment and something we would not have liked as fans either.

I just think DW is going to be patient this TDL and make a move if the price is right for him. I still think he makes a move because we have cap available to do so, just not sure who we end up with.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
DW is notorious for that anyway. We most likely do not want to give up what is being asked for the top-3 guys but after that it is pretty much fair game. If DW desperately wanted one of the 2nd tier guys he would have done so already. It would probably have been an overpayment and something we would not have liked as fans either.

I just think DW is going to be patient this TDL and make a move if the price is right for him. I still think he makes a move because we have cap available to do so, just not sure who we end up with.

Oh he’s definitely making a move. He’s been linked to Brassard, Simmonds, Zuccarello, Nash, and Johansson. You don’t check in on that many players at this point and do nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad