Recalled/Assigned: 2018-19 Roster moves thread: 4/25 Black Aces: Suomela, True, DeSimone, Korenar and Middleton

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
I always go look at RotoGrinders for the projected lineups for my fanduel lineup and according to them this is the lineup for Monday's game vs the Isles.

Pavelski Couture Meier
Hertl Suomela Labanc
Donskoi Goodrow Kane
Karlsson Gambrell Sorensen

Ryan Burns
Karlsson Vlasic
Braun Dillon

So it looks like they might keep 2/3 of each line together.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I always go look at RotoGrinders for the projected lineups for my fanduel lineup and according to them this is the lineup for Monday's game vs the Isles.

Pavelski Couture Meier
Hertl Suomela Labanc
Donskoi Goodrow Kane
Karlsson Gambrell Sorensen

Ryan Burns
Karlsson Vlasic
Braun Dillon

So it looks like they might keep 2/3 of each line together.

Probably pure speculation...and not a very good one. None of the beat guys reported any line rushes during practice so there most likely weren't any.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Gambrell sent back to the Barracuda to play in tonight’s game. Sharks are off today so no idea if there’s an update on Thornton.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Gambrell sent back to the Barracuda to play in tonight’s game. Sharks are off today so no idea if there’s an update on Thornton.
He was the 13th forward on the trip so that makes sense. Probably no Jumbo for another week ish

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Yeah tell that to thornton as he watches the team struggle out of the gate.

Them struggling out of the gate now doesn't mean much for now. There's a lot about their game that looks good and a lot that will get better as the season goes on. The points will come.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Them struggling out of the gate now doesn't mean much for now. There's a lot about their game that looks good and a lot that will get better as the season goes on. The points will come.

I agree. But as of right now a player like thornton wants on that ice now, no more waiting games.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Yeah tell that to thornton as he watches the team struggle out of the gate.

As PF said the points will come. He doesn’t need to rush back because of the results in the first few games. He rushes back and has another setback then we lose him even longer

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree. But as of right now a player like thornton wants on that ice now, no more waiting games.

Of course he does but I'm not worried about getting Thornton in now. I'm only concerned that when he does get in that he stays healthy and doesn't have his knee swell moving forward. There's plenty of time to get him in and get him familiar with new teammates.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I know the Sharks and Barracuda share the same building, but can someone explain the philosophy of the call up in hockey? You send him down, then less than 24 hours later he gets recalled. Is it really news if you send a player down now? If he's going to be riding the press box during Sharks games, keep him on the Cuda.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I know the Sharks and Barracuda share the same building, but can someone explain the philosophy of the call up in hockey? You send him down, then less than 24 hours later he gets recalled. Is it really news if you send a player down now? If he's going to be riding the press box during Sharks games, keep him on the Cuda.

Because we still need extra body's on the nhl club especially if this bug keeps going around and gets worse.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

You need to have enough players actually listed on the Sharks roster. Being on the Cuda roster doesn't count even if they're technically in the building and able to suit up at any moment.

Additionally, player pay (and thus the cap figure) is calculated on a daily basis. If you juggle a guy up and down between the NHL and AHL on off-days, you can build up some cap savings day-by-day and maybe by the time you hit the deadline you've bought yourself an extra little bit of wiggle room in terms of how big of a contract you can bring in

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I would think playing for San Jose would look extremely tempting to those on the AHL/NHL bubble. Knowing that a quick call up is just a walk down the hall and not a flight from out of town, they may think that teams in that situation would mean the chance for more call-ups and an NHL payday.

Reactions: Gecklund

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Cap manipulation. NHL teams are required to have a minimum of 18 skaters and 2 goalies on their roster. So not having that extra D/F around means you can save cap $$s. Especially with flu hitting the team, having those extra couple of bodies (at least on game days) can be helpful/needed.

(And flu season often means that guys have personalized water bottles, no sharing, to help prevent the spread of illness/disease.)

I would think playing for San Jose would look extremely tempting to those on the AHL/NHL bubble. Knowing that a quick call up is just a walk down the hall and not a flight from out of town, they may think that teams in that situation would mean the chance for more call-ups and an NHL payday.

San Jose and Winnipeg/Manitoba share the same playing building. Toronto the same city.

Those three cities/pairs of teams have an advantage on other teams in that you don't have to change your domicile to be sent down/recalled.

If you have a family that is a huge thing. (The only worry would be a trade to another organization)

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
You need to have enough players actually listed on the Sharks roster. Being on the Cuda roster doesn't count even if they're technically in the building and able to suit up at any moment.

Additionally, player pay (and thus the cap figure) is calculated on a daily basis. If you juggle a guy up and down between the NHL and AHL on off-days, you can build up some cap savings day-by-day and maybe by the time you hit the deadline you've bought yourself an extra little bit of wiggle room in terms of how big of a contract you can bring in

It sounds like it's more of an accountancy thing than anything else, kind of a crossing the T's dotting the I's kind of thing. That makes sense, but it doesn't really seem like news worth reporting, but maybe that is also a requirement?

I guess the Flu bug is going around (I know Karlsson got it but I thought that was isolated). I wish it was like a Power Play bug or something. ;)

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012
Cap manipulation. NHL teams are required to have a minimum of 18 skaters and 2 goalies on their roster. So not having that extra D/F around means you can save cap $$s. Especially with flu hitting the team, having those extra couple of bodies (at least on game days) can be helpful/needed.

(And flu season often means that guys have personalized water bottles, no sharing, to help prevent the spread of illness/disease.)

San Jose and Winnipeg/Manitoba share the same playing building. Toronto the same city.

Those three cities/pairs of teams have an advantage on other teams in that you don't have to change your domicile to be sent down/recalled.

If you have a family that is a huge thing. (The only worry would be a trade to another organization)
Boston/Providence is only 45 minutes......

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Boston/Providence is only 45 minutes......

Long commute to sleep "at home" and in that crazy winter weather might not be advisable. :D

(Distances calculated arena-to-arena, for the most part)

San Jose Sharks/Barracuda and Winnipeg Jets/Manitoba Moose = 0 miles
Toronto Maple Leafs/Marlies = 2.5 miles
Montreal Canadians/Laval Rocket = 15 miles

The above could definitely induce folks to live in one place between teams.

Los Angeles Kings/Ontario Reign = 45 miles (but up to 90 minutes away)
Colorado Avalanche/Colorado Eagles = 50 miles (but 60+ minutes)
Boston Bruins/Providence Bruins = 51 miles (but easily 60+ minutes)
Philadelphia Flyers/Leigh Valley Phantoms = 68 miles
New York Islanders/Bridgeport Soundtigers = ~70 miles
Buffalo Sabres/Rochester Americans = 76 miles
Chicago Blackhawks/Rockford Hogs = 89 miles
Anaheim Ducks/San Diego Gulls = 90 miles

Now we're up to more in the range of "easy call up", but not necessarily conducive to sleeping in your own bed range.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It sounds like it's more of an accountancy thing than anything else, kind of a crossing the T's dotting the I's kind of thing. That makes sense, but it doesn't really seem like news worth reporting, but maybe that is also a requirement?

I guess the Flu bug is going around (I know Karlsson got it but I thought that was isolated). I wish it was like a Power Play bug or something. ;)

I don't know if it's required to be reported, but it's been standard practice for teams to report all roster transactions no matter how inane for a long time, so that just seems to be the way it is.

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad