Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I see a lot of Claude Giroux in Lablanc. Hopefully he keeps riding the high confidence to becoming a star player himself.
I like the stylistic comparison. Neither are great skaters, but both move the puck well. Crazy good playmakers.

Labanc is a great talent. Glad you've joined us and recognize his value so quickly.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Couture Hertl Labanc
Meier Pavelski Karlsson
Kane Suomela Donskoi
Goodrow Gambrell Sorenson

Due to JT injury when he comes back
he should be with

Goodrow Thornton Karlsson, Chartier, or Sorensen

Vlasic Karlsson
Ryan Burns
Dillon Braun

Goalie
Dell
Jones

Last edited:

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Ya know, I just know DeBoer isn't going to like our 4th line look, and as great as Sumo is I think he's the only guy that's going to give it a threatening look.

Also, how about that Francis Perron with 4 pts in the Cuda. I think they should have called up a winger and let Hertl command a line. I think the drop off in our 4th line kinda slows down Burns/EK momentum. I said this in the beginning, its more important we ice a line up that doesn't have drop off than icing 1 or 2 lines with chemistry.

I would go
Kane-Pavs-Donskoi
Meier-Couture-Labanc
Sorenson-Hertl-Goodrow (hertl can straight up carry this line and continue EKs pressure)
Rookie W-Sumo-Karlsson ( maybe give Sumo Sorenson for the scoring touch )

I think for M. Karlsson to be effective on the top line he has to be there for awhile, and PDB doesn't have patience for that, its not his style. He likes to plug guys that are going, anyways. Just keep him on the 4th line.

I know its only been 3 games, but let EK/Burns dictate the game then trying to get your top lines to or the magical 3rd line. As long as they keep Kane/Meier/Hertl on separate lines, I think the momentum would just start compounding with Sumo on the 4th line. The wingers don't need to be spectacular if they're reading off EK or defending when Burns jumps in.

Reactions: 5H4RK5

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Ya know, I just know DeBoer isn't going to like our 4th line look, and as great as Sumo is I think he's the only guy that's going to give it a threatening look.

Also, how about that Francis Perron with 4 pts in the Cuda. I think they should have called up a winger and let Hertl command a line. I think the drop off in our 4th line kinda slows down Burns/EK momentum. I said this in the beginning, its more important we ice a line up that doesn't have drop off than icing 1 or 2 lines with chemistry.

I would go
Kane-Pavs-Donskoi
Meier-Couture-Labanc
Sorenson-Hertl-Goodrow (hertl can straight up carry this line and continue EKs pressure)
Rookie W-Sumo-Karlsson ( maybe give Sumo Sorenson for the scoring touch )

I think for M. Karlsson to be effective on the top line he has to be there for awhile, and PDB doesn't have patience for that, its not his style. He likes to plug guys that are going, anyways. Just keep him on the 4th line.

I know its only been 3 games, but let EK/Burns dictate the game then trying to get your top lines to or the magical 3rd line. As long as they keep Kane/Meier/Hertl on separate lines, I think the momentum would just start compounding with Sumo on the 4th line. The wingers don't need to be spectacular if they're reading off EK or defending when Burns jumps in.

I like how each line is centered Deboer should try that and some big guys in front of EK65 during PP.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Im trying to even think of a pp in the league with no trigger. I really hope this is just some weird experiment.

Isnt that like pp 101? Keep handedness accounted for?

Also its humorous, but not unexpected, pavs is our best tipper but they have him behind the net and our strongest board player, you guessed it, in front of the net.

What do we have? 12 pps in 3 games? I just looked. Its 10. 3rd in the league. Also 2nd in times shorthanded.

If we clean up the penalties and keep drawing them due to our style thats a huge opportunity. Just through probability youd probably be at 20% with a guy ib a shooting spot lpl.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Suomela, aside for one defensive zone turnover at the goal line, has played pretty conservatively to start the season and I think it works for his spot in the lineup and who he's playing for. He has done his best to stay on the defensive side of the puck at pretty much all times which is good as a 3C playing with the likes of Donskoi and Kane.

Karlsson, as a supreme playmaker, just needs time to get used to other players' tendencies and them to his. Once that starts clicking, probably around game 10 or 20, the assist totals are going to start racking up. The only change the power play really needs is a lot more of letting Karlsson handle it on the rush and on the setup. The big problem is going to be that with the forward setup they have, puck retrieval after zone entries is going to be a losing battle unless they carry in because their forwards won't win many races with Thornton, Hertl, Couture, or Pavelski up front.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Watch Karlsson walk because DW decided to listen to Deboer and keep Spott as a PP coach.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Watch Karlsson walk because DW decided to listen to Deboer and keep Spott as a PP coach.

There was a shot of Burns and Karlsson talking while setting up for the face off at one point, and they were laughing and bantering and i was like KARLSSON LIKES THEM HE REALLY LIKES THEM

So...

I HAVE to imagine that things will click soon. We’ve played three games and have looked far better than the three teams we’ve played for the majority of those games — at some point, we’ll start scoring.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Matt-LeBlanc-who-plays-Joey-on-the-hit-NBC-series-Friends-makes-a-funny-face-on-the-set-during-one-of-their-last-shows-on-474x344.jpg

Can this be labancs goal picture?

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
There was a point last year where I hated Labanc haha. If he can play at this level all year it would be amazing

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
His decision making slowed down over the course of the year :/

He looks good then he starts doing things differently and it makes me want to bang my head against the wall. If he's playing with Kane and Pavs I think it takes the pressure off him. He just gets to be the playmaker and that suits him. He's so comfortable with the puck on his stick and he seems the game really well.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
There was a shot of Burns and Karlsson talking while setting up for the face off at one point, and they were laughing and bantering and i was like KARLSSON LIKES THEM HE REALLY LIKES THEM

So...

I HAVE to imagine that things will click soon. We’ve played three games and have looked far better than the three teams we’ve played for the majority of those games — at some point, we’ll start scoring.
I'm assuming it's the honeymoon phase... when the interactions are happening out if obligation rather than being mostly serendipitous and they still find a way to openly and honestly communicate without fear of judgement, I'll believe it

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'm assuming it's the honeymoon phase... when the interactions are happening out if obligation rather than being mostly serendipitous and they still find a way to openly and honestly communicate without fear of judgement, I'll believe it

So in other words game 1 of the 2019-20 season when karlsson signs for 8 years at 9 mil a year?

lucky0slevin

Aug 9, 2011
There was a point last year where I hated Labanc haha. If he can play at this level all year it would be amazing
I think he had 0 confidence at that point. But his skating improved so much and his balance strength that I'm not worried for this kid. He's just getting better and better

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Possible suggested moves

If Dell picks up we can move Jones for Bobrovsky or if they think Korenar is good then Dell and Korenar and move Jones for picks or trade deadline deal rentals.
If Couture can't drive the play he is more of a wing sniper best fitted for speed center like McDavid or Duchene thus I propose Couture for Draisaitl or get Duchene to pair with Couture.

Meier Pavs Labanc
Couture Duchene Hertl
Kane Sumo Don
Sorensen Goodrow Karlsson

or

Meier Pavs Labanc
Hertl Draisaitl Radil
Kane Sumo Don
Sorensen Goodrow Karlsson

The Hertl Couture line needs speed to open it up.

Meier Pavs Labanc
Couture Hertl Sorensen
Kane Sumo Don
Goodrow Char Karlsson

If Couture can't drive the play or get it going I would go to trade for Simmonds and Hagg for Couture and Heed.
We can move Dillon and rent Duchene.

Meier Pavs Labanc
Hertl Duchene Radil
Kane Sumo Don
Goodrow Simmonds Char
Karlsson

Vlasic Karlsson
Ryan Burns
Hagg Braun

Dell
Korenar or Bobrovsky

or

Couture for signed Panarin 8-8.5 per and Jones for Bobrovsky.

Meier Pavs Labanc
Panarin Hertl Radil
Kane Sumo Don
Good Simmonds Char
Karlsson

Can you win a cup vs Ovechkin, Backstorm, Kuznetsov, Oshie
Stamkos, Kucherov, Point, Gorde
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel
Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Marleau

Our only dangerous forward is Kane vs the world.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->