Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Just want to put this here for future reference so people remember all players go through slumps:

Couture: 0 goals, 1 assist, -8 in last 6 games
Donskoi: 1 goal, 1 assist, -1 in last 9 games
Kane: 2 goals, 1 assist, -6 in last 10 games

Because if Labanc goes through a stretch like that people want to waive him.

I’m not too fussed about Donskoi, because frankly the worse his point totals the more likely we’re able to keep him at the end of the year. But the other two are making $8M and $7M per respectively. They need to step the f*** up. Kane in particular has been useless offensively since his hot start.

Reactions: Solmors

jarr92

May 7, 2013
LaBanc has been pretty solid all season, even during his slumps. He’s 7th on the team with 12 points and he’s on pace for 49 points and he really hasn’t been floating at all. People just see him as an easy target for criticism because he isn’t particularly physical or gritty.

If you would like to use basic stats look at who is worst on the team in turnover differential, spoiler alert it's LaBanc. That's exactly what the eye test shows as well. I really want LaBanc to turn into a great player and I (half sarcastically) picked him to lead the Sharks in points, but not sure how one can't see his turnover issues stemming from him not making fast enough decisions with the puck.

He is still the best playmaker behind Thornton and Karlsson, but he definitely has holes in his game.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm honestly annoyed by how Vlasic is playing. Dude has chemistry with nobody and keeps making some really selfish plays.

Braun,Dillion, and Ryan have all been better to me.

Is it just me?

It’s tough to compare him to Dillon/Ryan due to their deployment, but I think he’s definitely been better than Braun.

I don’t know about the selfishness thing. I can see some weird body language from him at times and his comments regarding the D-pairings might be ever so slightly different from what we normally hear, but I really think it gets blown way out of proportion.

I will say that it’s probably not just you. You probably started watching the Sharks with very high expectations of Vlasic, unaware that he had already severely declined since the start of the 2016-2017 season.

BTW, this is only the first year of an 8-year contract which pays him $7M/year. The same (with different terms and salaries) goes for Martin Jones and Evander Kane. Welcome to our world! :facepalm:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I don't think it is about effort. Labanc just doesn't do as much away from the puck.

Might be true but it has everything to do with him trying to stick handle thru guys without actually moving his feet which results in atrocious turnovers.

If i'm making the decisions I trade him along with one of the D-men for a more impactful forward.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
LaBanc has been pretty solid all season, even during his slumps. He’s 7th on the team with 12 points and he’s on pace for 49 points and he really hasn’t been floating at all. People just see him as an easy target for criticism because he isn’t particularly physical or gritty.

No. It's because he's a turnover machine. Not sure how you haven't noticed him floating...

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Can we trade for micheal haley? He would be an upgrade on melker karlsson.

Haley 2 games played 1 goal, 1 assist.
Karlsson 22 games played 0 goals, 1 assist.

boredatwork

Oct 7, 2013
I agree with trading Braun for a scoring forward. Watching Braun and Vlasic trying to move the puck against the Oilers was like watching a pair of sloths playing catch with a hand-grenade.

The fourth line has been non-existent lately. I like Soumela and Goodrow: I just don't see much from either of them right now. Karlsson is ineffective at 5 v 5--the other two haven't accomplished much recently. I expected much more against the depth-deprived Oilers.

Jones is literally the worst goalie 5 on 5 in the league right now. The Sharks sit 1st in SCF% and 4th in HDCF% at 5 v 5 score adjusted. They give up a lot of high danger chances themselves, which is evident by the porous defense. Nevertheless, Jones simply has to be better. This is the new NHL.

This team is on the right track and I think they'll figure the defense out. I'll be patient until the 40 game mark. In house options can fix the 4th line, but if the defensive struggles continue, I'll call for DeBoer's head. Only Jones can solve Jones.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Complete (but educated) speculation that Joakim Ryan is nursing some kind of foot injury. His pivoting and footwork has not been up to form all season and especially the last 5ish games.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

jarr92

May 7, 2013
What would the Sharks have to give up with either Melker or Goodrow to aquire Zack Kassian?

Vegas destroyed the Sharks physically. They need someone to combat that heavy style, and the one person who could take on Reeves is Kassian.

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
What would the Sharks have to give up with either Melker or Goodrow to aquire Zack Kassian?

Vegas destroyed the Sharks physically. They need someone to combat that heavy style, and the one person who could take on Reeves is Kassian.
Like Kane or Dillon?

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ

I think we're fine physically. I think its just the price that comes with making the playoffs so often, teams try to hang it over our heads. I think that's all it is really. Like Roenick said last night sharks just need to be more consistent in their play and it wont be like that, and again those games do happen. The knights got whooped by Calgary the game before 7-2 or something, so im not surpised knights had a response game, just so happened to be vs us.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Other options for Nylander:

1. Pavelski straight up...
2. Vlasic for Nylander + cap dump

OH, and Fire DeBoer!

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Other options for Nylander:

1. Pavelski straight up...
2. Vlasic for Nylander + cap dump

OH, and Fire DeBoer!

Sharks likely can't afford either on the cap right now. People have to remember that Nylander's first year cap hit is going to be larger than his AAV.

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
DW is a god. If he wants it to happen, it will happen.
DW is, no doubt, one of the best GMs in hockey as far as trading is concerned.
He's also, no doubt, one of the "most generous/worst" when it comes to handing out above-market contracts to players, which is why we are so close to the cap, and might lose Pavelski for nothing this summer. But, hey, we got Kane and Vlasic for another half decade!

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Can’t we trade Melker for a 7th round pick in 2021 draft to free up $2m?

They could but that doesn't necessarily provide enough space to sign Nylander depending on his AAV.

They have the space for Vlasic for Nylander right now.

Not necessarily. If Nylander signs a deal with 7 mil AAV, that cap hit for the first year is going to come in right now over 9 million. Sharks don't have that kind of space even with Vlasic for Nylander straight up.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I think there is little to no chance we land Nylander. Especially if we send 7M+ dollars back because TML needs to open up cap space for Marner, Matthews, Kapanen all of whom are making under 1M a year right now.

Not sure if they re-sign Gardiner or not, but I am not sure how good their D pipeline is.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
One would think.. but clearly that doesn’t work. Vegas, to me, seems like they play without fear every time they play the Sharks. I would hope Dillon or Kane would instill some, but it doesn’t happen.

The problem is the reffing. Vegas rarely, if ever, gets called for their dirty play, so of course they "play without fear." If someone on the Sharks would instill fear, they would end up with either a double minor or major penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad