Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Dillon braun seemed perfectly designed to be hemmed in their own zone.

Fully expecting 45% FF, -1.09 GA60 if they stay a thing.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Dillon braun seemed perfectly designed to be hemmed in their own zone.

Fully expecting 45% FF, -1.09 GA60 if they stay a thing.

How? Just because Braun is defensively oriented doesn't mean he can't manage 3rd pairing minutes. He's been in the role before and did well with much less experience.

Reactions: hohosaregood

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
How? Just because Braun is defensively oriented doesn't mean he can't manage 3rd pairing minutes. He's been in the role before and did well with much less experience.

Because contrary to popular belief, braun is not a good puck mover in a way that generates shots on net a clean entries. This is especially true of dillon.

Both of them are great at keeping guys outside and limiting scoring chances but they suck at beating guys to pucks and transitioning the play.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Because contrary to popular belief, braun is not a good puck mover in a way that generates shots on net a clean entries. This is especially true of dillon.

Both of them are great at keeping guys outside and limiting scoring chances but they suck at beating guys to pucks and transitioning the play.

I disagree with you regarding Braun and beating guys to pucks and transitioning play but you also have to account for the reality that his competition level is going down drastically. I agree they won't generate shots on net or clean zone entries but I do think Braun is more than competent at making the first pass to exit the zone and that's really all they need.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I am kind of worried about Dillon - Braun, they are both good players, pure quality wise it's a great 3rd pairing, but I worry about moving the puck heh.

This is my exact problem with them. Neither can make a breakout pass. If they aren't carrying it out it's being shoved right back down their throat. Really hoping Braun is traded for a top 6 forward sooner than later. 8 D on the roster with the top 3 they have is silly.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I disagree with you regarding Braun and beating guys to pucks and transitioning play but you also have to account for the reality that his competition level is going down drastically. I agree they won't generate shots on net or clean zone entries but I do think Braun is more than competent at making the first pass to exit the zone and that's really all they need.

I agree Braun is great at getting to the puck but his passing sucks. Hopefully playing against lesser competition more often will give him the time to be better at it.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I noticed we've had nearly identical records with PDB
15-16 46-30-6
16-17 46-29-7
17-18 45-27-10

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
It's nice to see them working on the PP, but it's not the personnel that I feel is the problem. Hopefully they are lining them up differently.

5H4RK5

May 3, 2007
Couture Hertl Donskoi Best chemistry line
Labanc Thornton Meier righty shot and PWF for JT
Kane Pavelski Sorensen balance speed of lines
Goodrow Suomela Chartier all around with Char as PLY

We only gave up 14 shots combined with our D so

Vlasic Karlsson
Ryan Burns
Dillon Braun

Goalie
Dell due to faster 5 hole just needs to work on left and right steadiness

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I really liked a Lablanc-Karlsson PP setup. They are both agile and great playmakers who can snipe. Their creativity shines through and they give each other good looks.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I really liked a Lablanc-Karlsson PP setup. They are both agile and great playmakers who can snipe. Their creativity shines through and they give each other good looks.

I was thinking that too. Labanc and Karlsson seem to click pretty well out there. It’s been said around here that one of Labanc’s strengths is his hockey IQ. I think it’s telling that him and Erik Karlsson seem to “see the ice” in kind of the same way.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I think we need to trade Aaron Dell. He isn’t a bad goalie, but for the number of games he is gonna see, we can’t take his cap hit. That will save us an important million right there. And the sooner we do it, the higher our cap window come the TDL. We aren’t banking much of anything at the moment. Clearing cap space now could be the difference between an extra Eric Fehr versus Mats Zuccarello in the playoffs.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I think we need to trade Aaron Dell. He isn’t a bad goalie, but for the number of games he is gonna see, we can’t take his cap hit. That will save us an important million right there. And the sooner we do it, the higher our cap window come the TDL. We aren’t banking much of anything at the moment. Clearing cap space now could be the difference between an extra Eric Fehr versus Mats Zuccarello in the playoffs.

We don’t need Mats Zuccarello and we probably don’t have the assets to acquire him. We need an elite, superstar #1C, and since we can’t get that, we sure could use Aaron Dell when Jones inevitably gets hurt or goes through a rough patch.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
We don’t need Mats Zuccarello and we probably don’t have the assets to acquire him. We need an elite, superstar #1C, and since we can’t get that, we sure could use Aaron Dell when Jones inevitably gets hurt or goes through a rough patch.

I think someone like Zucc is gonna be within our price range at the deadline. The market is never huge to begin with, but guys like Panarin, Hayes, Stone, Staal are all going to attract the big pieces we can’t afford. A mid-6 winger like Zucc isn’t really something every team wants, and would help add another few points through our run. Obviously Eric Staal is BAE, but those guys are gonna be way to expensive.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
Zucc would be ideal, shore up the right wing with either Thornton or Pavs, could reunite the KPD line as the 3rd line. And it would be an extreme luxury to have Sumo as the 4C who could probably tear it up with Sorensons surge and Goodrows brass.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Hell no. How quickly people forget what it was like having Stalock as the backup. You never know when Jones might go down. Do you seriously want to leave the chances of this team, that's built to win this season, up to some AHL goalie?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Agreed. I like Labanc and Karlsson together. Probably the two best raw offensive talents on the team outside of an aging Jumbo and Burns.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Agreed. I like Labanc and Karlsson together. Probably the two best raw offensive talents on the team outside of an aging Jumbo and Burns.
I see a lot of Claude Giroux in Lablanc. Hopefully he keeps riding the high confidence to becoming a star player himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad