Line Combos: 2018/19 Roster Discussion mk2 - Opening Night

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Hammer shouldn’t be fighting, he’s too damn valuable to our top 4. That being said, Andersson deserves the nod here.

Reactions: FlamerForLife

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
If/when Andersson comes up and IF he goes into the lineup I expect him to be paired with Valimaki. I don't think they want him on the 2nd !ine playing major minutes in his first Nhl game. They will probably have Stone play with Hanifin.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If Prout plays over Rasmus we should fire everyone in management. Can’t have two big slow dummies in the modern game

It’s funny that everyone loved our offseason and yet I feel like we overspent in FA and cut a good player in Kulak to keep two players that aren’t meant for the modern game in Prout and Stone.
it depends if Hammer is put on IR. If he's not, we don't have roster space to call up Andersson

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
it depends if Hammer is put on IR. If he's not, we don't have roster space to call up Andersson
According to Eric Francis Andersson is already in Calgary, only sourcing Francis because I haven’t seen anyone else report it so take it for what it’s worth

Edit: Flames twitter just announced that they recalled Andersson

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He got hit in the face in a fist fight which he himself started, that's about as far from a freak injury as you can get in a hockey game.

Maybe freak injury is the wrong word but how many fights result in guys being out long term?

Saying no fighting at all for him is likely not the right approach especially when this fight was a reactionary move to a young teammate getting a cheap shot hit.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Surprised he even finished last game. He's a warrior.

We wanted to see Andersson up, but not like this.

That's a big hit to our top 6. Hammer for all the shit he gets on this forum is a true middle pair guy who can anchor that pair. He's a good dude, and a warrior.
Why couldn't Stone have answered the bell, at least he's more in Gudbransson's weight class.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This is going to be interesting how they handle the pairings and minutes.

Two rookies on a pair is a little concerning but I guess they could limit minutes and really shelter them.

Andersson with Hanifin seems like a concern defensively because Andersson definitely can't cover for Hanifin so we are either left with some bad defensive situations or Hanifin having to dial it back which isn't ideal either.

This is where Brodie being meh is really hurting us as we can't shuffle the pairings to have him be a stabilizing guy with Hanifin or Valimaki and I am not sure I want him being heavily played even with Gio to take time from the other pairings.

Gio and Hamonic are so key back there because of their ability to play with different guys and let them make mistakes/take risks.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
They should try:

Hanifin-Brodie
Giordano-Andersson
Valimaki-Stone

I really can't see it being worse than putting Stone in the top four. Or Prout in the lineup instead of Andersson.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
So.

If you're going to be a soft p***y team like Calgary, you have to make teams pay on the powerplay. Nuff said.

If you're going to be a soft p***y team, and not make people hurt on the PP, may as well dress a knucklehead in the lineup.

Think of those prime Canuck teams. All they had were rats and butter soft players (remind you of anyone?); except the Sedins would murder you on the PP. We have either learn how to PP or get more team toughness. It's A or B, there's no middle ground here.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
So.

If you're going to be a soft ***** team like Calgary, you have to make teams pay on the powerplay. Nuff said.

If you're going to be a soft ***** team, and not make people hurt on the PP, may as well dress a knucklehead in the lineup.

Think of those prime Canuck teams. All they had were rats and butter soft players (remind you of anyone?); except the Sedins would murder you on the PP. We have either learn how to PP or get more team toughness. It's A or B, there's no middle ground here.
We need to make the PP work because even with one of Prout or Peluso in the lineup. Neither are nuclear deterrents to guys like Gudbranson who are a few inches taller, 25 pounds heavier and know how to fight as well.

They also make us a worse team by being in the lineup (maybe not Prout he isn't terrible). This team has the players to have a top 15 powerplay but they run the worst formations and don't generate anything through the middle of the ice.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We need to make the PP work because even with one of Prout or Peluso in the lineup. Neither are nuclear deterrents to guys like Gudbranson who are a few inches taller, 25 pounds heavier and know how to fight as well.

They also make us a worse team by being in the lineup (maybe not Prout he isn't terrible). This team has the players to have a top 15 powerplay but they run the worst formations and don't generate anything through the middle of the ice.

Those don't exist anymore.
I'm just saying, if you're going to be the team that stinks, gets beaten up all night, and still loses on the scoreboard, may as well dress someone who could be a small deterrent. Anthony Peluso is a heavyweight, he's about the same size as Gudbranson.

Thing is. We play in Pacific. There are still dinosaurs out here. I think we should be the team that kills people on the PP, versus the one that has to dress an limited role idiot... but man, we need to figure it out quick.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Those don't exist anymore.
I'm just saying, if you're going to be the team that stinks, gets beaten up all night, and still loses on the scoreboard, may as well dress someone who could be a small deterrent. Anthony Peluso is a heavyweight, he's about the same size as Gudbranson.

Thing is. We play in Pacific. There are still dinosaurs out here. I think we should be the team that kills people on the PP, versus the one that has to dress an limited role idiot... but man, we need to figure it out quick.

How is Peluso a deterrent?

Is Gudbranson scared to fight him? I doubt it. Even if he was he doesn't have to fight him. He can skate away, turtle, not even be on the ice with him at all.

If I am Gudbranson knowing that if I throw questionable hits means that my team gets to face guys like Peluso and Prout I am throwing those hits all day. If beyond playing terribly those guys come at me and take stupid penalties to show how tough they are even better.

The deterrent to Gudbranson throwing questionable hits are: 1. Suspensions and lose of pay 2. Him being benched for taking dumb penalties 3. His team getting scored on the PP while he is in the box.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
No, a stupid worthless enforcer doesn't need to dress. You make Gudbranson pay by chipping it in his corner and taking the puck from him because he is garbage-tier defenceman, LITERALLY the worst d-man in the league. You make the Canucks pay as a team by scoring on the PP (like you guys mentioned).

Enough of this 1970's/Brian Burke/old timer hockey attitude. It's 2018, these tough guys are always shit players who can't skate. Gudbranson got walked regularly, he never wins puck battles, but he threw one big hit. Respond by dominating the scoreboard, respond by blowing up Petterson (cleanly mind you, not saying hurt him).

The f*** is Prout or Peluso going to do? Weigh down Bennett for the entire game because he is ass (Peluso)? Get turn styled every game because he is slow and awful (Prout and Stone)?

Flames didn't play scared because of one hit from the worst player in the league, they played soft because they have been for the past 3 years.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
15387607704781928777480.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad