Line Combos: 2018/19 Roster Discussion mk2 - Opening Night

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
giphy.gif

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Hamonic is probably good for two injuries a season so we're bound to see Andersson up at some point

Siignal

Apr 16, 2014
Berlin
I think the Flames are a contender a year from now. We haven't seen this much depth on our roster in such a long time, but we need time to iron things out and have our rookies improve with a year. What a time to be a fan. So excited for this season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I'd think more so he is just reinforcing that Andersson will be the first injury call up.

I can agree to this.

And though some of you may still not agree, I still think there's a chance for Valimaki to be demoted later this season. I'm thinking it's something along the lines of, "After 9 games, we will evaluate and determine if you stay with the big club or are moved down for additional development." sort of thing. I don't think he is guaranteed to stay the entire season. We shall see.

I also wouldn't be surprised if a trade happens. Prout as the 7th man isn't a bad thing, but Peters did ok without a ton of face punchers and grit on the roster. If that's the case we don't need nuclear deterrents on the roster and the grit our current players provide is enough for his system. Again, we shall see.

IMO my guess is that Andersson comes up due to the following scenarios:
- As 3rd pairing RD if Valimaki isn't good enough to stick after 9 games
- Injury call up
- Movement of a player

It seems obvious enough that Valimaki and Andersson are going to be staples on our blue line for quite a while. Tre will make the necessary moves to accommodate them.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'm definitely of the opinion this is a 9 game trial for Valimaki. I don't think his roster spot is guaranteed at all.

He’s getting a look. Which is fine. Up to him what he does with, if he keeps up his play... he will be here all season, and don’t be surprised if he ends up the 5D sooner rather than later.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
He’s getting a look. Which is fine. Up to him what he does with, if he keeps up his play... he will be here all season, and don’t be surprised if he ends up the 5D sooner rather than later.

I’m not saying that to doubt him, I think he will do real well. I just think if he doesn’t, they won’t lose sleep over sending him down.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m not saying that to doubt him, I think he will do real well. I just think if he doesn’t, they won’t lose sleep over sending him down.

I think Treliving and Peters are prepared to do whatever is best for him. If he struggles he will be sent down. But I don’t think they are anticipating that will be the outcome. If they did, Kulak would still be here. They threw his security blanket away. And actually in this case, the backup is now Kylington so that shows he isn’t far off and leapfrogged Kulak.

Reactions: SKRusty

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I disagree.

(I disagree)^2

Two things to consider:
- Ice Time - will he get >15 or <15 minutes a game? If the former, he'll stick. If the latter, the team might not think that's the best development for a guy who only turns 20 in a few days. We'll have to find minutes for him and that's doubly so because he probably won't be on either side of special teams. For a guy who is still eligible for a slide year this matters.

- Andersson - it's possible Valimaki is only up because they're trying to figure out the Stone situation and Valimaki is a LHD - maybe they'd prefer to trade Stone for a vet LHD to pair with Andersson. When they essentially tell Andersson he's made the team, that's a kiss of death for a guy like Stone. Now personally I see this as a Glencross / Ferland situation but maybe it's not and the team would rather have Andersson in the lineup but need to acquire a throwaway vet for the season in that role.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'm definitely of the opinion this is a 9 game trial for Valimaki. I don't think his roster spot is guaranteed at all.
I disagree.
(I disagree)^2

Two things to consider:
- Ice Time - will he get >15 or <15 minutes a game? If the former, he'll stick. If the latter, the team might not think that's the best development for a guy who only turns 20 in a few days. We'll have to find minutes for him and that's doubly so because he probably won't be on either side of special teams. For a guy who is still eligible for a slide year this matters.

- Andersson - it's possible Valimaki is only up because they're trying to figure out the Stone situation and Valimaki is a LHD - maybe they'd prefer to trade Stone for a vet LHD to pair with Andersson. When they essentially tell Andersson he's made the team, that's a kiss of death for a guy like Stone. Now personally I see this as a Glencross / Ferland situation but maybe it's not and the team would rather have Andersson in the lineup but need to acquire a throwaway vet for the season in that role.

I disagree. This is no trial. Kulak even admitted how good this kid was in his interview with Kristine Anderson. Valimaki is so much better than the rest competing for the last pairing it isn't close.

There is a reason Kylington was sent down so early. Tre had Kulak penciled in that slot but the kid simply came and claimed it as his own. Valimaki is not just recognized in Calgary. Whenever a trade offer came in every team was asking for the kid.

Scouts have Valmaki as the heir apparent to Gio within 2 to 3 years. This kid is that special. Valimaki is oft compared to Ekblad when people talk about the maturity of his game. If anything Valimaki takes Hanafin's spot on the second pairing by the end of the season.

I watched this kid a few times last season and he was truly a man playing among the boys but he didn't just sit back and coast he worked to become better and better. He played 28-30 minutes a night until the playoffs then was often up around 30-37 minutes. To me he was more impressive than watching Dion Phaneuf when he was in junior.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I disagree. This is no trial. Kulak even admitted how good this kid was in his interview with Kristine Anderson. Valimaki is so much better than the rest competing for the last pairing it isn't close.

There is a reason Kylington was sent down so early. Tre had Kulak penciled in that slot but the kid simply came and claimed it as his own. Valimaki is not just recognized in Calgary. Whenever a trade offer came in every team was asking for the kid.

Scouts have Valmaki as the heir apparent to Gio within 2 to 3 years. This kid is that special. Valimaki is oft compared to Ekblad when people talk about the maturity of his game. If anything Valimaki takes Hanafin's spot on the second pairing by the end of the season.

I watched this kid a few times last season and he was truly a man playing among the boys but he didn't just sit back and coast he worked to become better and better. He played 28-30 minutes a night until the playoffs then was often up around 30-37 minutes. To me he was more impressive than watching Dion Phaneuf when he was in junior.

Yes. By the sounds of it, there's the opinion that Valimaki is very much the real deal. Top tier defender who'll be a #1 in this league.

I really think they didn't want to run two rooks; because I think Andersson won a spot in camp with his high end play. Andersson and Valimaki separated themselves from the defensive pack, that's absolutely for sure.

I'm in the same boat as you. I catch enough WHL hockey, watching this kid was special. The guy was the best Dman in he WHL by a margin. He was better than Cal Foote, he just didn't play as much. The fact he won a camp spot as a 19 year old... on a team that's absolutely deep on the backend, speaks volumes about this kid. Mature, smart, good skating, good offensive instincts, simple D... this guy is going to be a 35+ point Dman who'll play 25 minutes a night in a few years.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Yes. By the sounds of it, there's the opinion that Valimaki is very much the real deal. Top tier defender who'll be a #1 in this league.

I really think they didn't want to run two rooks; because I think Andersson won a spot in camp with his high end play. Andersson and Valimaki separated themselves from the defensive pack, that's absolutely for sure.

I'm in the same boat as you. I catch enough WHL hockey, watching this kid was special. The guy was the best Dman in he WHL by a margin. He was better than Cal Foote, he just didn't play as much. The fact he won a camp spot as a 19 year old... on a team that's absolutely deep on the backend, speaks volumes about this kid. Mature, smart, good skating, good offensive instincts, simple D... this guy is going to be a 35+ point Dman who'll play 25 minutes a night in a few years.

The way Tre was talking today Rasmus will be up in the NHL relatively soon. This leads me to believe he wants to move Stone and the best way is to play him in a situation where he is going to maximize his value. Let's be clear here Stone is second pairing material on many clubs so getting his value will be important.

That and Calgary could use a right shot or 2 in the AHL developing. So the only way to do that is show Toronto, Tampa and a couple other teams shopping for right shot d-men that Stone is still relatively young and valuable.

Reactions: Volica

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Know what we haven't really been talking about, with Dube and Valimaki in camp. This team is f***ing YOUNG.

Gaudreau (25) - Monahan (23) -Lindholm (23)
Tkachuk (20) - Backlund (28) - Frolik (30)
Dube (20) - Ryan (30) - Neal (31)
Bennett (22) - Jankowski (23) - Czarnik (25)

Giordano (34) - Brodie (28)
Hanifin (21) - Hamonic (28)
Valimaki (19) - Stone (27)

Smith (36)
Rittich (26)

Average age: 24.4 years old
Youngest team last year: 25.0 years old.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Know what we haven't really been talking about, with Dube and Valimaki in camp. This team is ****ing YOUNG.

Smith (36)
Rittich (26)

Provided we keep developing draft picks Calgary's window for winning should be at least a decade.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Know what we haven't really been talking about, with Dube and Valimaki in camp. This team is ****ing YOUNG.

Smith (36)
Rittich (26)

HF hot take: Flames are old and have missed their window

Sep 13, 2009

Smith (36)
Rittich (26)

I didn't realize how young this team is. Thanks for posting! :thumbu:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Smith (36)
Rittich (26)

Great post. I had no idea the Flames overall age was this young.

I wonder who they call Dad... Mike Smith or Gio.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
HF hot take: Flames are old and have missed their window

Best young teams:
Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Toronto.
Calgary? Old, Overrated and Obsolete. The NHL's 3 O's that are worse than the driving ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad