Line Combos: 2018/19 Roster Discussion mk2 - Opening Night

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I will say I'm surprised they're considering an all-rookie third pairing.

To anyone who followed pre-season more intently than I: Did we see pairing at all?
I believe they were together for a game or two.. someone would have to correct me on that.

With Valimaki playing super solid as of late I am not worried at all about that third pairing. Andersson is no slouch either, every time he’s come in he hasn’t made bad plays that would be concerning to discuss.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
TFW Bennett gets moved up and Ras is in.

MP6HEEa.gif

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Looks like Bennett will get a chance up the line-up and Janko will be scratched, also Andersson might make his season debut tomorrow.

I like it!
Hopefully the 3rd line of Bennett-Dube-Neal clicks.
With regards to the 4th line I don't understand why RH shot Hathaway is on the left and LH shot Frolik is on the right. Would prefer Janko on the left if Ryan is the center.

Fingers crossed for the Valimaki-Andersson pairing. Really hopeful for this unit. Could be the Flames future for the next 10 years, along with Hanifin.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like the sounds of a Bennett, Dube and Neal line. Neal plays best with players that have speed, Bennett and Dube have no shortage of that. Neal and Bennett would be a tough match for any team to play against, they will also create a lot of room for Dube to utilize his speed and create scoring chances. I like it.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

Hanifin and Dube in for pp2, Ryan and Brodie out.

This I find interesting because Brodie has barely got any pk time, so if that trend continues along with this change Brodie will only see the ice 5v5.

Hopefully with the changes on the 2nd unit we'll see a better PP. I like Hanifin over Brodie.
Gaudreau usually carries the puck into the zone on the first PP. Dube on the second? Hopefully Dube can supply some much needed creativity on the second unit. I want to see Neal's 6'3" 212# body in front of the net screening the goalie. Most of today's goalies, if they can see the shot will stop it all day long. Screenings, deflections, one timers, and pass redirections are the way score on the PP these days.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I will say I'm surprised they're considering an all-rookie third pairing.

To anyone who followed pre-season more intently than I: Did we see pairing at all?
That all-rookie pairing could be the stars of the game. Certainly not inconceivable. I like it. Lets see what we have. If it works well the we could very possibly see Stone moved to the #7 d-man position.

We didn't see a Valimaki-Andersson pairing in preseason but then again the Flames had a lot of bodies and you have to try and work everyone into the lineup to see where they fit in the Flames organization.
However, Valimaki-Andersson have practiced together more than once. I'm excited to see this pairing. We could very well be watching the future in the making.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Nothing is set in stone except for the first two lines and the first PP unit. I would also assume that the Gio-Brodie pairing is a lock too.
Final decision to be made on the plane to Nashville with regards to lines, pairings, and PP and PK units.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Hope we get to see Dube get an extended look at center. Think that's where he'll be the most effective. Bennett and Neal can do the lion's share of the work on the boards.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
And this is where I remind people I said Peters like to shake things up, especially early and get a feel for how different groups and lines can work. That way he gets a good read on his players

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I loved the lineups last night. I also really liked Lindy briefly on the Backs line with Bennett the previous game, but it also sparked Neal to last night.

Lindy has quietly been our best player overall this season and I feel like he can play anywhere and even C the 3rd line. I think it’s obvious though, Bennett has looked his best this season playing with Backs by a county mile. And that is only a good thing, if Bennett can spark Backs and say Neal, that gives us 2 dominant toplines.

Honestly I would also consider this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Dube
Bennett - Backs - Neal
Tkachuk - Lindy - Czarnik

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He doesnt have a whole lot of points so far, but I've been really impressed with Czarnik. He's a puckhound and a pretty good playmaker

Edit: nvm he has 3 pts lmao. Still good

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I loved the lineups last night. I also really liked Lindy briefly on the Backs line with Bennett the previous game, but it also sparked Neal to last night.

Lindy has quietly been our best player overall this season and I feel like he can play anywhere and even C the 3rd line. I think it’s obvious though, Bennett has looked his best this season playing with Backs by a county mile. And that is only a good thing, if Bennett can spark Backs and say Neal, that gives us 2 dominant toplines.

Honestly I would also consider this:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Dube
Bennett - Backs - Neal
Tkachuk - Lindy - Czarnik
Swap Dube and Lindholm a day I'd be willing too try it for a game and see how it goes.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He doesnt have a whole lot of points so far, but I've been really impressed with Czarnik. He's a puckhound and a pretty good playmaker

Edit: nvm he has 3 pts lmao. Still good
I've loved Czar thus far

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I don’t mind that lineup at all. I’m fact I could see Peters using both combos throughout a game.
I just don't think there is any justification to move Lindholm down the lineup to give top line minutes to Dube, who IMO while has played alright, has yet to make me think that he will be with this team throughout the year, nevermind be placed on our top line.

edit: x2.... edited the wrong post :laugh:

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I just don't think there is any justification to move Lindholm down the lineup to give top line minutes to Dube, who IMO while has played alright, has yet to make me think that he will be with this team throughout the year, nevermind be placed on our top line.

The most ironic thing about those claiming he was out best player during that time, are the same ones that complain about his linemates bringing him down... yet that stretch was with Hathaway and Jankowski.

I agree that Dube has been good, but he might not be quite ready. The thing I like about him is his speed, I think it’s a big bonus to any line he plays on. But I do think he’s likely to go down soon if he doesn’t start hitting the score sheet more.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don't think they'll demote Dubs for not scoring. He brings other elements to the Flames. Possession, speed that gives the D chills, great on ice vision, energy, enthusiasm. I think he's here to stay.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think they'll demote Dubs for not scoring. He brings other elements to the Flames. Possession, speed that gives the D chills, great on ice vision, energy, enthusiasm. I think he's here to stay.

It’s not that he’s not useful if he’s not scoring, it’s more that we want him scoring a lot in the pros. Getting a taste of the show and going down for a couple of months is exactly what Kyle Connor did and look at him now. If he’s not putting up the points he’s capable of, let him go down and get the feel of putting the puck in the net. Once he dominates there, get him back up and put him in a role he can succeed in.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's a kid that needs to develop his offensive game. It's that simple.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
He's actually got a bit of grit in his game too, which is surprising.

Like he's not going to lay someone out, but he doesn't back away from the rough play either.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

This is how Lazar and Bennett were screwed up early on. By insisting they are doing the right things and just getting unlucky is counter intuitive to keeping their confidence and swagger levels high. By game 9 if Dube is still struggling to put up offensive numbers I think Tre sends Dube to the AHL. First his replacement (Jankowski or Ryan) is likely just as capable offensively and better defensively and second Dube would be getting much more special teams time. This has been key with teams like Chicago, TO, San Jose, Anaheim and Boston because when the players get called up they are ready to contribute in all facets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad