Line Combos: 2018/19 Roster Discussion mk2 - Opening Night

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I'm still wondering if the plan is to give Valimaki <9 games (allows ELC to slide rather than burn a year) and then send him down and bring Andersson up. I don't think Valimaki stays beyond 9 games unless he is really ripping it up.

Unless Valimaki somehow implodes he is here for the season. Unlike with Chucky, Sam, or Janko there was no we will see from here and make a judgement then. Peters is planning to have Dube and Valimaki in the line-up for the season.

These kids brought it this year (contrary to many peoples opinion around here) 5 NHL coaches on the staff, Conroy and Tre all believe they deserve to be there. They ultimately must believe the kids best opportunity and development interests are in the starting line-up for the Flames not the Heat.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Capture.JPG

I just want to clarify that my post about "real NHL numbers" was made as a joke. I thought it was clearly so but apparently not. 'Nuff said.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm surprised they kept Lazar up after his comments.

I suspect that will change sooner rather than later.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

I think you have 30 days to send him down. I'm curious to know if management is working closely with Lazar to prep him for a sort of mentoring aspect in Stockton. Furthermore, Lazar said he needs to reinvent his game. I wonder if management is working with him to figure out how he should do that in Stockton.

Unless Valimaki somehow implodes he is here for the season. Unlike with Chucky, Sam, or Janko there was no we will see from here and make a judgement then. Peters is planning to have Dube and Valimaki in the line-up for the season.

These kids brought it this year (contrary to many peoples opinion around here) 5 NHL coaches on the staff, Conroy and Tre all believe they deserve to be there. They ultimately must believe the kids best opportunity and development interests are in the starting line-up for the Flames not the Heat.

That's the thing though. Preseason vs Regular season are different. Valimaki could potentially "implode" enough that management wants to send him down after the cup of coffee. However, it's possible that the bottom 3 rotating would be Valimaki - Stone - Andersson as well.

We shall see.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
His comments were exactly what you want his to say, my god

That has nothing to do with my point. Lazar wants to play and doesn't want to sit around anymore.

Management will almost certainly oblige him at some point. They're probably just waiting to see if they're any injuries within the next week or two that force him into regular rotation. Otherwise, they'll send him down and call up someone else to be pressbox fodder.

I mean, he really couldn't have been more clear on his wishes:

He certainly wasn’t demanding a demotion.

But shortly after going unclaimed on the NHL’s waiver wire, Calgary Flames forward Curtis Lazar admitted that a stint with the farm team might be the best thing for him.

In fact, the 23-year-old would rather — at least, for now — be a regular with the American Hockey League’s Stockton Heat than a frequent healthy scratch at the Saddledome.

“I just want to play. If it’s here, if it’s down in the minors, anything … I need to play,” said an open and honest Lazar after Monday’s practice. “I want to be a part of this organization. I’m more so looking bigger picture. I haven’t been a regular since my rookie season (in Ottawa). The only way I’m going to get better is if I play every single night and get the chance to handle the puck in games and everything like that.

“For me, I’m kind of fed up of being that so-so guy that’s just plugged in here and there. I want to rebuild my game and re-establish myself, and I think the organization is on the same page with that.”

Flames' Lazar believes stint in AHL ticket to big-league success

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That has nothing to do with my point. Lazar wants to play and doesn't want to sit around anymore.

Management will almost certainly oblige him at some point. They're probably just waiting to see if they're any injuries within the next week or two that force him into regular rotation. Otherwise, they'll send him down and call up someone else to be pressbox fodder.

I mean, he really couldn't have been more clear on his wishes:

Flames' Lazar believes stint in AHL ticket to big-league success
Every player wants to play. If anything they're going to try and move him ala Kulak. Now that he's cleared waivers, he might have some suitors.

That said, I'd like .See him go down and play and gain confidence, he has the right attitude and seems like a genuinely good person. Can't help but root for him

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

I think he is s much better replacement for Dube if he struggles or they want him to sit and watch a game from the PB than either Hathaway or Pelusoso perhaps they keep him up early until Dube is settled into his role.

Or maybe they just like him better than Peluso and don’t want to risk him not being able to get up here in time if there is an injury.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I wouldn’t mind Buddy Robinson as our 14th forward, I liked how he played and he is already developed to his peak. Get Lazar down on the first line in stockton.

I liked Buddy a lot too, but I think what he brings to the Heat is nearly as important.

Glad to see Brad's comments on Rasmus.

I hope this preseason ends the conversation about the team holding back young guys from getting spots.

Reactions: Potty John

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009

This sounds to me like Treliving is working on a deal to open up a RD spot for Andersson. He seems pretty definite about it... more so than if he was just expecting a RD injury situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad