Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'll forever be salty about losing Yandle. Great player, great personality and the future captain. f*** you, Maloney.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
This organization has done some stupid **** in the past.

Trading Yandle is one that I'll never forgive them for. He (along with Doan, Vrbata, and OEL) are the only players who actually liked being Coyotes. We should keep more of those kinds of guys.
Just wanted to add that Morris really liked being a Coyote too but otherwise I completely agree. You don't just get rid of players who are good and actually love being part of Coyote nation. Those guys are f***ing unicorns man!

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Trading Yandle is one that I'll never forgive them for. He (along with Doan, Vrbata, and OEL) are the only players who actually liked being Coyotes. We should keep more of those kinds of guys.

I'm not wholly convinced that OEL particularly likes being a Coyote, personally.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm not wholly convinced that OEL particularly likes being a Coyote, personally.
Huh? He’s sure got a funny way of showing it. Signing a maximum length extension seems at odds with your doubts.

Coyotes Sign Ekman-Larsson to Eight-Year Contract

"This is a very happy day for me and my family," said Ekman-Larsson. "I have always loved living and playing in Arizona and this is where I want to be. I signed with the Coyotes because I believe in our team, I believe in our fans and I believe in this market and I want to win here. I'm very grateful to Andrew Barroway, John Chayka and Rick Tocchet for showing great confidence in me. I can't wait for the season to begin."

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
"This is a very happy day for me and my family," said Ekman-Larsson. "I have always loved living and playing in Arizona and this is where I want to be. I signed with the Kayowtees because I believe in our team, I believe in our fans and I believe in this market and I want to win here. I'm very grateful to Andrew Barroway, John Chayka and Rick Tocchet for showing great confidence in me. I can't wait for the season to begin."

Fixed. Made it sound more like OEL.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Huh? He’s sure got a funny way of showing it. Signing a maximum length extension seems at odds with your doubts.

I fully realize I'm splitting hairs here (and really, isn't that #OnBrand for me anyway? :D), but to me OEL feels comfortable being a Coyote rather than being happy to be a Coyote.

The distinction, for me, is this. Shane Doan's entire professional identity was "Captain Coyote," and he was this franchise's biggest proselytizer and booster. He proactively worked with the league to help the team stay here. He considered, and still considers, Arizona to be his home. His enthusiasm for Arizona and the Coyotes was undeniable and infectious.

OEL, to me, seems content to be playing for this team. He's got a good situation, a good contract, a nice place to live. He's willing to go out and perform community service, meet fans, the whole bit. He's got great stability in his professional life for a reasonable price for both him and the franchise. But if the team moved to Houston, I don't feel like he would break a sweat. When his season's over, he goes back home to Sweden, and that's where he's going to go when he's done with the game. I think he would like being a Canuck or a Jet or a Blackhawk just as much as he likes being a Coyote.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Doan made the Coyotes and Arizona his life, and OEL is basically at a job he likes. I fully realize that Doan's bar is one that almost nobody can reach. But I think in terms of aligning one's identity with one's team and market, to me OEL has always kept a bit of distance between himself and the Coyotes and Arizona. Maybe my opinion is colored by the fact that he's shy and still struggles with English - that might give an erroneous impression that he's remote when he really isn't. Like I said, it's my opinion and I'm probably just splitting hairs.

EDIT: I should add that I think Yandle would have been Doan 2.0 if we hadn't traded him. But based on what he's said since the trade, I think he's been disabused of his idealism by now. He may come back here after his career is over but only for the Scottsdale nightlife.

Last edited:

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Tocc said Demers is day to day. Could be back as early as this weekend

Whoever this doctor is, holy ****

Found a pic of him:
jesuschrist.jpg

Reactions: Katie Connauton

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I fully realize I'm splitting hairs here (and really, isn't that #OnBrand for me anyway? :D), but to me OEL feels comfortable being a Coyote rather than being happy to be a Coyote.

I think OEL is just shy and reserved, even by Swedish standards. Doan is in a league of his own, by all accounts he's an extraordinary human being, that's an insanely tough act to follow. I think OEL wants to be here and likes being a Coyote, he just has a very different style than Doaner and that's ok. While I'm sure he takes many queues from Doan (he'd be stupid not to) he has to be himself and be a captain that plays to his own strengths. We also have to remember OEL is still fairly young, he's still building his wisdom.

I agree on Yandle though, he had C material written all over him. He seemed to truly love being a Coyote and had the perfect personality for it. He would've been a lifer if they would've allowed him. He's that guy who wanted to marry his high school sweet heart but she turned him down so he's forced to go out looking for someone else and discovers he can pull someone who is much nicer, prettier and has their shit together. Meanwhile his ex has gained 100lbs and had several failed relationships since.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017

I miss Yandle

tuxonpups

Mar 15, 2009
I agree on Yandle though, he had C material written all over him. He seemed to truly love being a Coyote and had the perfect personality for it. He would've been a lifer if they would've allowed him. He's that guy who wanted to marry his high school sweet heart but she turned him down so he's forced to go out looking for someone else and discovers he can pull someone who is much nicer, prettier and has their **** together. Meanwhile his ex has gained 100lbs and had several failed relationships since.

Then he ends up retired in Florida at 32, living with a 39 year old Italian man who flails helplessly when they run into his now miraculously 25 year old ex, who side-steps them both, puts the puck in behind them and rolls on...

Reactions: CC96

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
So at the draft, I hope Chayka can get ole Chucky Fletcher to bite. Capobianco or POJ + Goligoski + 2nd round pick for Ghost Bear. Is that enough? Young D with good potential, a reliable veteran with a little term left, and a 2nd round pick? Maybe a 2nd and a 3rd...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->