Speculation: 2018-19 Roster Discussion #3 - Not so bad at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
2003 2010 2015 will all go down as key failures of this organization. Heaps and heaps of franchise players out of those drafts and we managed to draft nada
2015 had first round misses (Strome/Merkley), but Fisher, Capabianco, Hill and Garland were AZ picks in later rounds. Brendan Warren was another AZ 2015 pick, he and a 5th were traded to Philly for Cousins/Madsen. Looke, who probably never amounts to a decent AHL player, was also a Coyote pick.

The equivalent sum of the draft for the Coyotes is impressive, it's just not McD, Eichel, Marner, Rantanen, Barzal, Boeser, etc impressive.

2003 is another story, not a single Coyote player drafted played in NHL game.

Reactions: Edenjung

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
2015 had first round misses (Strome/Merkley), but Fisher, Capabianco, Hill and Garland were AZ picks in later rounds. Brendan Warren was another AZ 2015 pick, he and a 5th were traded to Philly for Cousins/Madsen. Looke, who probably never amounts to a decent AHL player, was also a Coyote pick.

The equivalent sum of the draft for the Coyotes is impressive, it's just not McD, Eichel, Marner, Rantanen, Barzal, Boeser, etc impressive.

The problem with the 2003 draft is it was the best draft possibly of all time and we gave our first away for a 2nd like C Daymond Langkow. That trade set is back 5 years.

Reactions: _Del_

AZviaNJ

Setbacks, no Defeats
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
The problem with the 2003 draft is it was the best draft possibly of all time and we gave our first away for a 2nd like C Daymond Langkow. That trade set is back 5 years.
That 2003 draft was soooo deep: Bergeron, Weber, Pavelski, Buff, Howard, Crawford, etc.....all drafted outside of the 1st round.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014

Draft doens't look horrible, but when you have pick #3 in a draft with those kinds of guys, leaving without a topline player is disgraceful

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Trade deadline has me thinking about next year's roster. I have modest hopes. The only pickup I want is Donskoi. I think this team can be really good with better health and some growth from the young guys.

Galchenyuk - Schmaltz - Vinnistroza
Keller - Stepan - Garland
Cousins - Dvorak - Donskoi
Grabner - Richardson - Fischer
Crouse - Archibald

OEL - Hjalmarsson
Chychrun - Oesterle
Goligoski - Demers
KConn - Lyubushkin

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like it, although I’m not sure there’s enough firepower still.

I think Crouse deserves to be a regular.

I’d be curious if the above lineup cracks next year’s cap floor. The Schmaltz extension is coming but will be more than off set with Bolland and Smith coming off the books.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Crouse is the only forward we have that can make a hit without dying. He has to be a mainstay bottom 6 player going forward.

Next seasons training camp will be interesting if everybody is healthy. I wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Nick Merkley make the jump to the big show. Hopefully Schmaltz and Keller can continue that chemistry they had in the 17 games they played together. Schmaltz had 14 points, Keller 15. Their line with Galchenyuk was a total liability defensively, but they created a ridiculous amount of scoring chances.

Reactions: Name Nameless

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Are we interested in DSP?

Personally, I am. Brings an aspect we don’t have a ton of.

I wanted him a few years ago when he was bouncing around and we were icing absolute trash on the team, and wouldn't mind replacing some of our "lighter" bottom-six now with some size, but the guy is real up-and-down. If you're only bringing grit and speed to the lineup, you need to bring it everynight. Not sure I'd bite . He'd just be an extended tryout for next year like Weal. He's an upgrade on Kempe, who should not be here when healthy. Archibald has started to look like an actual NHL player. Not sure DSP brings enough to the table to justify the roster spot. Unless we're moving someone else out.

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Mosby

<3 Uncle Gary
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
5 x 5.5 for Silfverberg is a little steep. Probably 1 year and 1 mil too much. Admittedly he was on my list, so that's one less name now. If he's pulling down that sort of deal, no doubt in mind we'd have to go to 9 mil to get Stone.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I just want Burakovski as my deadline target. He's 6'3", great hands, and very fast. Only 24 though it seems he's been around a long time. He's another guy to plug in at center if needed. Has a decent track record. We need offense. He's highly available because of a down year on a playoff team. We need to be all over this.

Reactions: OT OEL

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I just want Burakovski as my deadline target. He's 6'3", great hands, and very fast. Only 24 though it seems he's been around a long time. He's another guy to plug in at center if needed. Has a decent track record. We need offense. He's highly available because of a down year on a playoff team. We need to be all over this.
I agree that Burakovsky should be a target. He’s just not getting any ice time. So maybe with more opportunity, he’d find a groove here. That said, he’s had a lot more talent in Washington and that isn’t sparked him. So he’d definitely be a dice roll. I would pay too much. Not sure where the “plug in at center” but is coming from? He’s never played center at the NHL level and he didn’t play center in the OHL. At least not when he was playing a prominent role on those stacked Otters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->