Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Cam Morrisson 1g+ 2 assist , here come our next power forward top 6 ? I hope.what do you think about Cam.?

As a Notre Dame fan it seems year 3 in Jacksons’ system is when most of their forwards emerge as team points leaders. CamMo’s a junior, so I’m looking for a big year from him. He has a nose for the puck, & a tendency to create problems in front of the net via screens, etc. He also possesses a solid wrist shot when he actually chooses to utilize it.

He had a quiet regular season as a freshman, but received PP time, and contributed w/ key goals & assists, or general disruption in front of the net during their Frozen 4 run in 2017. Last year he had a bit better point production over the course of the regular season, but wasn’t as prevalent in the stats column en route to their national runner up finish.

In the short term I’m hopeful he puts it all together this season, as the Irish need him to. As for his professional aspirations, in my inexpert opinion I’m unsure what to expect, but if he can progress to the next level it’d be especially big, because I don’t think the Avs have anyone with his skillset (big body, nice wrist shot for spot duty in middle 6, or the bottom 6, park him in front of the goalie on PP for screens, tip deflections, etc, while being physical & no fun to play against defensively) on their NHL roster.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
I am not sure if he is considered a prospect at the age of 28, but Pavel Francouz has been very impressive in his first three outings at the AHL level (3GP, 1.33 GAA, .957 SVS%).

A guy by the name of Dominik Hasek started to play in the NHL at 26

I am not comparing the 2 but i hope Francouz will have a chance

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
A guy by the name of Dominik Hasek started to play in the NHL at 26

I am not comparing the 2 but i hope Francouz will have a chance
Nabokov, Kiprusoff, Tim Thomas, Niklas Bäckström also emerged late in NHL. Good start by Francouz but atm it looks like a Varly injury is his only big chance of playing with Avs.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
We have ample supply of big winger prospects, we really need that 2C to hedge if Jost doesnt step it up.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So y’all remember that UMass is trash sort of talk? UMass is a top 10 team easily! Very well coached and an excellent group of sophomores and freshmen. MDG and Makar are working insanely well together.
Yup, I remember far to well how the progamme was trash and he should've went to the CHL. Not sure they're top 10 for me, but should definitely be ranked after this performance against Ohio State.

Cameron Morrison (Notre Dame) 3 GP - 4 points (2 goals, 2 assists)
Morrison being a junior on a still pretty talented team even though they lost some good players needs to around PPG if he wants a contract and gain some respect from us. Thus far, he has done a pretty good job.

Smirnov also played last night, but didn't register a point in a 8-2 win. Additionally, Ranta in an exhibition game against the USNTDP a week back picked up a primary assist in a 7-3 win, so he's been PPG to start the early season.

ljb4

Feb 10, 2016
westminster Co
Some early notable prospect numbers -

Cale Makar (UMass) 4 GP - 7 points ( 3 goals, 4 assists)

Cameron Morrison (Notre Dame) 3 GP - 4 points (2 goals, 2 assists)

AJ Greer (AHL-Colorado) 5 GP - 5 points (2 goals, 3 assists)

JC Beaudin (AHL-Colorado) 5 GP - 3 points (3 goals)

Nicolas Meloche (AHL-Colorado) 4 GP - 2 points (2 goals)

Martin Kaut (AHL - Colorado) 5 GP - 1 point (1 assist)

Sampo Ranta (Minnesota) 2 GP - 2 points (2 goals)

Shane Bowers (BU) 2 GP - 1 point (1 goal)

Note: Bowers has two goals last night against the USNDP U-18 team including the OT Game winner. Since it was an exhibition game, it will not be reflected in the official stats.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Should Makar be a forward?

Also note, he looks to me a lot like Bigras facially. Both are rosy cheeked.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I see. That's too bad. I get thinking there are better development paths than the one Makar chose, but there's still plenty that can benefit him there.

We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out. And I'm not personally familiar with NCAA programs enough to say for sure whether Makar made a good or bad decision. But I do trust the opinions of people here who were adamant for a long time over the last year that UMass was a good spot for him, and I think you're seeing the pay off of that right now.

They were and still are a very young team, but with a lot of talent among that youth and you're seeing them grow together as a team over the last year and now they are a legit top team with a chance to do some damage as the year goes on.

I mean you dont just beat a #1 team on the road out of fluke. The fact Makar is a huge reason for this early success only makes it better.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We'll have to wait and see how it all plays out. And I'm not personally familiar with NCAA programs enough to say for sure whether Makar made a good or bad decision. But I do trust the opinions of people here who were adamant for a long time over the last year that UMass was a good spot for him, and I think you're seeing the pay off of that right now.

They were and still are a very young team, but with a lot of talent among that youth and you're seeing them grow together as a team over the last year and now they are a legit top team with a chance to do some damage as the year goes on.

I mean you dont just beat a #1 team on the road out of fluke. The fact Makar is a huge reason for this early success only makes it better.

Personally I would have preferred the junior route, but I never got that worked up about it. The extra time for strength training, and experience playing against older young men is pretty helpful.

For players like Makar, with the kind of work ethic he has, and ambition to be one of the best, I think they'll get to the level they're capable of regardless of whether they choose junior or NCAA. What's most important is that they're comfortable where they are, and have a good coaching staff to help them learn the details of the game. Makar seems to have that at UMASS.

It's even better that UMASS has a better team to surround him with this year. As opposed to the five freshman that were in their top 5 in scoring and carrying the team last year, only one freshman is in the top 7 in scoring for them right now. The rest are sophomores, a couple juniors, and a couple seniors.

I could be wrong, but they seem to be playing a more up tempo style this year too. Watching the highlights of the Ohio game, and they were out skating them all over the ice. If that's the case, it will benefit Makar greatly because that's the style he will play in Colorado.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Spark notes?

- He was living in a hotel room the whole time he was rehabbing and the Avs just decided it'd be better if he went home to recuperate. That makes sense.

- They reiterate that he seemed to be doing well, then had a setback. Now he has good days and not-so-good days.

- Timmins' agent (who also appears to be a family friend) cited what happened to Patrice Bergeron earlier in his career, who also had an extended absence due to a concussion but has since made a full recovery. Obviously not all players recover the same from concussions but let's hope it follows that path or something similar.

- Timmins and Travis Barron are close friends who were rivals in juniors.

- Everyone, from Barron to the Soo Greyhounds GM talks about his "mobility," which I thought was actually one of his worst traits as a player, but whatever.

- At the time of this article he was already set to return to Denver.

“The reason he’s home is because between management and myself, everyone said this would be a good chance for Conor to get a break. Simple as that,” Thun [his agent] said. “Getting a mental break from it, and that’s OK. You’re showing up and getting the same treatment and feeling like you’re making progress and you’re doing it on your own.

“We’re just going to take it really slow with him. He is progressing. He was doing well, had a setback,” Avalanche general manager Joe Sakic said earlier this month. “[He’s] starting to skate more now but he’s a guy we’re going to be very careful with. When he gets to 100 percent, we’ve talked to him about what the plan is going to be. He missed the whole summer of training.
“Once he’s really 100 percent … we plan on taking our time with him. When he’s really, really ready to go, then he’s going to start playing.”

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Now he has good days and not-so-good days.

FFS, that's just terrible to read. That's exactly what you don't want: a nonlinear concussion recovery. "Good days / bad days" is a common theme among players that have permanent damage.

We sure hope he's another Bergeron and not another Marc Savard.

hockeyviking

Jan 8, 2012
malmo
FFS, that's just terrible to read. That's exactly what you don't want: a nonlinear concussion recovery. "Good days / bad days" is a common theme among players that have permanent damage.

We sure hope he's another Bergeron and not another Marc Savard.
I hand god days and bad days but i havent had any problems for about 15 years now. When i got my first there was no programs or step to folow so i got a second one only a short while after. In hindsight i was lucky to separat my shoulder and have surgery so i got a Long Long break from hockey a short time after my second concussion. You newer Know how the brain is going to reavt and heel

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Makar picked up an assist tonight in another UMass win. He also got a 5 min major for charging so we might have another goon on our hands.

Reactions: RoyIsALegend
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad