Prospect Info: 2018-19 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Bowers being severely underrated here.

Also nearly one calendar year later and I'm still not convinced that Makar will be a better NHLer than Timmins. Flame away :dunno:

Considering just about everyone has him at #3 behind Makar and Timmins I'd love to here how he's being underrated.

Also cant wait to see the argument for Timmins over Makar. :laugh:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I just hope people don't turn on Timmins too savagely when he starts the season in the AHL and has some struggles out of the gates...nevermind if he gets caught with another concussion because of his skating & how much he likes to hold onto the puck.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He has a considerably better skillset then any other Defender we've sent to the AHL in a long, long time(Probably since Barrie).

I'm not worried about him in the slightest.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Bowers being severely underrated here.

Also nearly one calendar year later and I'm still not convinced that Makar will be a better NHLer than Timmins. Flame away :dunno:
Lets wait and see, he was playing easier 3rd line minutes (and some 2nd) for majority of the season last year and didn't really face the best of the best competition. This isn't to discredit his season because I think he deserves some hype, but before labeling him as a top 3 prospect we should see if he's going to be able to replicate that with a more increased role against tougher competition. Considering his strengths, I think he should do good, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him a take a step back offencively.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He has a considerably better skillset then any other Defender we've sent to the AHL in a long, long time(Probably since Barrie).

I'm not worried about him in the slightest.

Still doesn't guarantee that he's going to waltz into major PT right off the bat :dunno: and I worry the reports about how close he was to making the team last summer will lead some people to assume he's regressed if he doesn't make the NHL team out of camp this time around. Especially if he isn't even getting 25 minutes a night in the AHL.

I'm not really worried about him getting concussed again either, but it also wouldn't shock me if he was. The AHL is wreckless ass league, which can be a bad mix with a guy who likes to hold onto the puck but might not be shifty enough to evade AHL-speed.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lets wait and see, he was playing easier 3rd line minutes (and some 2nd) for majority of the season last year and didn't really face the best of the best competition. This isn't to discredit his season because I think he deserves some hype, but before labeling him as a top 3 prospect we should see if he's going to be able to replicate that with a more increased role against tougher competition. Considering his strengths, I think he should do good, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him a take a step back offencively.

I thought BU fans said he anchored their second line?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I thought BU fans said he anchored their second line?
He played between both, it was someone like Morrison who played against the team's toughest competition throughout the entire season. Again I am not trying to discredit him here, what he did as a freshman definitely warrants hype, but just sayin' that next season will tell us if he needs to play in his junior season or if Avs should sign him right after his sophomore year.

Reactions: McMetal and cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He played between both, it was someone like Morrison who played against the team's toughest competition throughout the entire season. Again I am not trying to discredit him here, what he did as a freshman definitely warrants hype, but just sayin' that next season will tell us if he needs to play in his junior season or if Avs should sign him right after his sophomore year.

Yeah, I think the production & age gap between him & Tkachuk could lead some of us to expect a much bigger year out of him next season, then what we'll actually see as he moves up the food chain. Still hard not to be excited about the kid as a Soda-upgrade of the future...if not a potential genuine Jeff Carter knockoff.

Reactions: S E P H

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Heading into the draft my top 10 is:

1-Makar

2-Meloche
3-Bowers

4-Kamenev
5-Greer
6-Lewis
7-Timmins
8-Beaudin
9-Shvyryov

10-Barron
HM-Henry

Why so down on Timmins? And to a lesser extent, Shvyryov? At least now that we know he's coming over. He's clearly got a skillset above & beyond Kamenev's, even if (unlike Kam) he could use AHL time this season.

I can't say I see much separating Lewis & Smirnov in quickness...though as I've said before I'm not much more use at assessing skating technique than I am at assessing goalie technique. Lewis is obviously coming off the stronger season given Smirnov's illness, but I can see either one hitting their stride in the AHL first.

And I'm really glad Henry got to show well at the end of the year, that shoulder injury gives him a mulligan for the whole season IMO, but seeing him come back from it before the summer & look that good was definitely a positive. Is he going back to junior for another season, or is he a later birthday who can go to the AHL this summer?

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
And I'm really glad Henry got to show well at the end of the year, that shoulder injury gives him a mulligan for the whole season IMO, but seeing him come back from it before the summer & look that good was definitely a positive. Is he going back to junior for another season, or is he a later birthday who can go to the AHL this summer?
Henry is headed back to juniors. One more year at that level to see what he can do when healthy.

Reactions: cgf

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Why so down on Timmins? And to a lesser extent, Shvyryov? At least now that we know he's coming over. He's clearly got a skillset above & beyond Kamenev's, even if (unlike Kam) he could use AHL time this season.

I can't say I see much separating Lewis & Smirnov in quickness...though as I've said before I'm not much more use at assessing skating technique than I am at assessing goalie technique. Lewis is obviously coming off the stronger season given Smirnov's illness, but I can see either one hitting their stride in the AHL first.

Cause he's an atrocious skater , Timmins that is

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

I don't believe that you can definitively state that Shvyryov has a higher skillset. I think you are undervaluing what Kamenev has done at the AHL level and in international tournaments. Shvyryov tore up the MHL, but I am not as high on the MHL (or the KHL) as others.

Reactions: Patagonia

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I don't believe that you can definitively state that Shvyryov has a higher skillset. I think you are undervaluing what Kamenev has done at the AHL level and in international tournaments. Shvyryov tore up the MHL, but I am not as high on the MHL (or the KHL) as others.

Grigorenko has had great numbers in all those stages too, just saying.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Grigorenko has had great numbers in all those stages too, just saying.

I am not arguing what Kamenev may or may not do at the NHL level, just merely stating that I don't believe that you can say Shvyryov has a definitively better skillset than Kamenev based on quantitative accomplishments at this point. I think you misinterpreted what I was saying in my post.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I am not arguing what Kamenev may or may not do at the NHL level, just merely stating that I don't believe that you can say Shvyryov has a definitively better skillset than Kamenev based on quantitative accomplishments at this point. I think you misinterpreted what I was saying in my post.

Kamenev seem to have the better career with his AHL performance. Shvyryov has more talent that stalled when benched at the KHL level. I really like both and glad they’re AVs prospects. Kamenev would be my slight choice, but both are really close.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002

Saying Shvyryov has a better skillset than Kamenev is a matter of personal opinion/evaluation by watching the two players, i think it has little to do with quantitative accomplishments.

Reactions: cgf

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Saying Shvyryov has a better skillset than Kamenev is a matter of personal opinion/evaluation by watching the two players, i think it has little to do with quantitative accomplishments.
Agreed I think they are two totally different players that offer completely different skill sets.

Kamenev is a 200ft player. Good on faceoffs and can play PP or PK. Shvyryov is pure offensive skill and doesn't offer a complete game. Kamenev I'd compare to a guy like Soderberg with more offensive potential. Shvyryov is a bit of a project, but if things go well and he progresses I think a light version of Panarin is possible. He is just very talented offensively speaking and you can see the offensive IQ, but the all around game will probably never develop.

Both types of players are needed to win games.

Reactions: McMetal

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Again, that was my point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

What does their level of play have to do with their skill set? Playing in the AHL doesn’t make Kam’s hands quicker & softer, or his shot more lethal :-/ Level of play affects polish, production, and where in their development arcs they are, but none of that has anything do with raw talent :dunno:

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
What does their level of play have to do with their skill set? Playing in the AHL doesn’t make Kam’s hands quicker & softer, or his shot more lethal :-/ Level of play affects polish, production, and where in their development arcs they are, but none of that has anything do with raw talent :dunno:

I'm done. I apparently should have made my point in a different manner, because I was not engaging in any argument on the points that are being raised in response, and I don't particularly care who is right.

I could not care less who is more skilled, or who is perceived to be more skilled.

My point was about stating opinions as definitive facts, which is a pet peeve of mine on this board and with the world in general at the moment.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm done. I apparently should have made my point in a different manner, because I was not engaging in any argument on the points that are being raised in response, and I don't particularly care who is right.

I could not care less who is more skilled, or who is perceived to be more skilled.

My point was about stating opinions as definitive facts, which is a pet peeve of mine on this board and with the world in general at the moment.

I see, cause yeah, that's not how your first post quoting me reads at all.

Anyways, that seems silly on an opinion board, cause most of the discussions here are opinions. Now some are widely held like "Johnny Malkin > Crosby", but the only discussions on hf that aren't opinion are discussions of production...and those are usually part of discussions of opinion.

Do we really have to couch every single post in "I think"s & "IMO"s & "to my eyes"s?

Last edited:

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012

Anyways, that seems silly on an opinion board, cause most of the discussions here are opinions. Now some are widely held like "Johnny Malkin > Crosby", but the only discussions on hf that aren't opinion are discussions of production...and those are usually part of discussions of opinion.

Do we really have to couch every single post in "I think"s & "IMO"s & "to my eyes"s?

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Goulet17

May 22, 2003

Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->