2018/19 Powerplay Thread

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Someone should tell McLellan to make an HF account and listen to people who actually know hockey.
Heck, he put RNH with McD months after we said to.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The last time Puljujarvi's been tried at his own PP spot was in one preseason game (just a period actually?) a year ago. That's the comments from it:

Jesse looks good on the point on that second PP.

Pulju QBing the second PP unit there. Not looking too bad at all controlling the puck there.

Good passing by Pulj on the PP.

I only watched the third period but Pulju looked great, IMO.

I watched the last 10 minutes of game so not much to comment other than Pulju looked confident on that PP. Good to see.

As he's shown exeptional QB'ing skills at earlier levels and he probably has the hardest shot of the team (harder than Laine when measured) it's hard to understand why he's not even getting a chance. It's been over two years now so yes I'm very frustrated.

Reactions: Aerrol

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Thank goodness for that one McDavid rush and pass to Lucic, and that McDavid awkward backhand from the goal line going in. Thank goodness for McLellan I mean, he can claim the PP is awesome because it scored.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
No it hasn't. Most have been scored on individual efforts by Connor. The 2nd PP goal yesterday was probably the first normal PP goal of the bunch they've scored.
Meh at the end of the day our PP% is 5th and our PK % is 30th.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Unpopular opinion time: I like the PP setup. I'm not a fan of the all righties thing, but McDavid, Klefbom, and Nuge are great moving the puck around the perimeter. A lot more puck movement than last year.

talitintti

Oct 13, 2018
No it hasn't. Most have been scored on individual efforts by Connor. The 2nd PP goal yesterday was probably the first normal PP goal of the bunch they've scored.
And the one against Rangers too. Of course Connor made a good reception of the pass, but it wasn't a rush goal.

That's still better than last year.

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
The bonus of having shear nonsense for a pp is that the opposition has nothing to gameplan against.

ap17vkug34c11.jpg

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Unpopular opinion time: I like the PP setup. I'm not a fan of the all righties thing, but McDavid, Klefbom, and Nuge are great moving the puck around the perimeter. A lot more puck movement than last year.
The set up is fine so long as it runs through the left side. Whether that is Nuge or McDavid... doesn't really matter I don't think. But Now that RNH is starting to get more touches with the puck on the left half boards the other teams defensive coverage is breaking down a bit more.

Reactions: ujju2

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
The set up is fine so long as it runs through the left side. Whether that is Nuge or McDavid... doesn't really matter I don't think. But Now that RNH is starting to get more touches with the puck on the left half boards the other teams defensive coverage is breaking down a bit more.

Yeah, this is pretty much what I was thinking. And with Nuge handling the puck more, it's forcing teams to pressure him while still trying to keep McDavid covered on the opposite side of the ice. Both Nuge and McDavid are shifty enough to beat defenders and can also pass really well. I think Klefbom's done quite well in terms of mobility and keeping the puck in the offensive zone too, although I'd like to see more shooting from him.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

I really thought they were gonna swap Nuge and McDavid. That would give McDavid 4 guys to set up for 1-timers. Nuge is much more of a shooter now for us. Not sure why they don't give McDavid a try now and then on the other side. Would be a great play to change the PP up like that even half way in to throw teams off.

space321

May 11, 2011
I really thought they were gonna swap Nuge and McDavid. That would give McDavid 4 guys to set up for 1-timers. Nuge is much more of a shooter now for us. Not sure why they don't give McDavid a try now and then on the other side. Would be a great play to change the PP up like that even half way in to throw teams off.

Or split RNH and McDavid. Do you guys remember RNH's rookie season he was feeding those passes to Eberle every game. Good times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad