Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
*Mob patsy voice*

Durr I thought we was taking a survey bawss

source.gif

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
You know what's a better joke? Our star players in a game 7 and that we haven't won a Cup yet.

We haven't won a Cup yet Morty!

Another strike against no cup: The franchise actually has won a cup, and not all that long ago (comparatively). It feels like we'd have to explain too many of the jokes.

On Paper was an improvement on No Cup (and I'm the guy who came up with No Cup, I think). Like, Yanni Gourde is a new father... but he doesn't have a cup, might not even be taken as a joke. Whereas: Yanni Gourde is a new father... On paper. Is ****ing hilarious.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Another strike against no cup: The franchise actually has won a cup, and not all that long ago (comparatively). It feels like we'd have to explain too many of the jokes.

On Paper was an improvement on No Cup (and I'm the guy who came up with No Cup, I think). Like, Yanni Gourde is a new father... but he doesn't have a cup, might not even be taken as a joke. Whereas: Yanni Gourde is a new father... On paper. Is ****ing hilarious.

I think it just comes down to that "on paper" does not do as much for me to spite the main boards. The Lightning threads and subsequent reminders that we havent won a Cup yet are so prevalent that I don't think the joke needs to be explained. I think everyone gets it. There is a few decent on paper jokes to be made but if we actually won the Cup in the year of the No Cup avatar I have the option of acting like our win never happened as well.

It's a good avatar but feels like setting when I bought into the idea of making a conscious effort to show HF Main how dumb it has been talking about us and reminding of failure at every turn

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
"on paper" I think would work better if our team had a mediocre place in the standings, not historically decimating the competition. Nobody on our team has won the cup, so "no cup" while technically not being accurate has implied meaning and fits the troll-ish narrative we are going for, tieing into the GSW theme we were also considering without muddying up our avatars with basketball related context.

...I do think the "no cup" avatars could use some more elegance to be a proper slogan we could rally behind though, because as it stands it's a little ambiguous and kinda of makes us sound like we don't know proper English. I wanna troll, but it's only effective if we also come off as the wiser opinion in the thread, and not like we'd be candidates to defend Point as a greater player than Kucherov because of some sparsely used advanced stats.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I think it just comes down to that "on paper" does not do as much for me to spite the main boards. The Lightning threads and subsequent reminders that we havent won a Cup yet are so prevalent that I don't think the joke needs to be explained. I think everyone gets it. There is a few decent on paper jokes to be made but if we actually won the Cup in the year of the No Cup avatar I have the option of acting like our win never happened as well.

It's a good avatar but feels like setting when I bought into the idea of making a conscious effort to show HF Main how dumb it has been talking about us and reminding of failure at every turn
You could still come up with a "no cup - on paper" avatar, if we decide to use the "on paper" concept. Like refer to our 2004 Cup win or something. It's weak but better versions are imaginable. Same for tying the GSW theme into "on paper".

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You could still come up with a "no cup - on paper" avatar, if we decide to use the "on paper" concept. Like refer to our 2004 Cup win or something. It's weak but better versions are imaginable. Same for tying the GSW theme into "on paper".

I actually loved Phobias combination of both themes but I think most agree it needs one theme and basically if I HAD TO pick one it's no Cup. But regardless of what happens I'll go with the flow. If on paper wins I'll be wearing it.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I actually loved Phobias combination of both themes but I think most agree it needs one theme and basically if I HAD TO pick one it's no Cup. But regardless of what happens I'll go with the flow. If on paper wins I'll be wearing it.
Yeah I really liked the combination of both as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->