2018-19 NHL TV ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Fans (understandably) don't like NBC/NBCSN showing the same teams all the time, but I think it is pretty obvious why they do. Only a handful of teams/markets can deliver decent national regular season ratings, and when those teams suck, the other markets, at this point at least, can't pick up the slack.

The good news is that the past couple of SC Playoffs has seen significant TV viewership growth despite a lack of "flagship" teams.

Good points as I said a few days ago I didn't have a problem with NBC doing the handful of teams because it's what gets the ratings and the ratings will get us the big TV money for the next deal.

Last edited:

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Point.

10/3/2018 Boston/Washington 633k
10/3/2018 Anaheim/San Jose 338k

10/10/2018 Vegas/Washington 543k
10/16/2018 Arizona/Minnesota 197k

11/07/2018 Pittsburgh/Washington 642k
11/07/2018 Nashville/Colorado 222k
You comparing games starting at 7 et to games starting at 9 and 10...why? Late games always have worse ratings regardless of team

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink

Washington didn't become another HawkeyTown...

Solid rating for early game season in Pittsburgh.

How isn't a 3.0 for a regular season game on a cable channel no one watches in a market as diverse as DC good? I don't know what you foreigners expect, but that's a great number for a game in November.
Anyways, I'm curious to see how the Bruins rated going up against the big Boston College football game. Surely, they crushed the football game, right? Hopefully I have the numbers Tuesday.

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
How isn't a 3.0 for a regular season game on a cable channel no one watches in a market as diverse as DC good? I don't know what you foreigners expect, but that's a great number for a game in November.
Anyways, I'm curious to see how the Bruins rated going up against the big Boston College football game. Surely, they crushed the football game, right? Hopefully I have the numbers Tuesday.
Please stop. You are the king of fake news and we know it.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
But only for NHL. NBA numbers tell another story. West coast is a weak hockey market.
No. Late games get worse ratings than early games. Same for MLB, the Thursday Night/Monday Night doubleheaders for the NFL, same for the NBA. The NBA is affected less because of the smaller tv window. You can have a doubleheader start at 7 and end at 11 unlike pretty much every sport

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Brutal rating for the Bruins. Due to the holiday today I won't have any numbers till tomorrow. I'll try to get the Celtics rating, but I can already guarantee they are head and shoulders above the Bruins.

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
OT:

Favorite theme NHL vs MLS.

Numbers from MLS Conference Semifinals last weekend:

ATLANTA/NEW YORK CITY FC 285k (ESPN)
NEW YORK RED BULLS/COLUMBUS 188k (FS1)
KANSAS CITY/REAL SALT LAKE 253k (ESPN)

NHL play-off numbers are approximately four to five times higher. E.g. the second round of the playoffs 2018 averaged more tha 1 million viewers on the NBC family of networks. Caps/Penguins series avaregad over 2M viewers,...

These MLS numbers have to be sad for ESPN and Fox Sports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anisimovs AK

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
116NHL REGULAR SEASON L: TAMPA/BUFFALONBC SPORTS NETWORK7:33 PM1630.09243
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
NHL 2018/2019 TV ratings

NBCSN:

10/3/2018 Boston/Washington 633k
10/3/2018 Anaheim/San Jose 338k
10/4/2018 Nashville/NY Rangers 194k (non-exclusive)
10/4/2018 Philadelphia/Vegas 227k (non-exclusive)
10/9/2018 San Jose/Philadelphia 249k
10/10/2018 Vegas/Washington 543k
10/16/2018 Arizona/Minnesota 197k
10/17/2018 NY Rangers/Washington 329k
10/17/2018 Boston/Calgary 162k
10/19/2018 Minnesota/Dallas 196k
10/23/2018 San Jose/Nashville N/A
10/24/2018 Toronto/Winnipeg 167k
10/24/2018 Tampa Bay/Colorado 177k
10/30/2018 Vegas/Nashville 227k

11/01/2018 Winnipeg/Florida N/A
11/06/2018 Edmonton/Tampa Bay N/A
11/07/2018 Pittsburgh/Washington 642k
11/07/2018 Nashville/Colorado 222k
11/13/2018 Tampa Bay/Buffalo 243k
11/14/2018 St. Louis/Chicago 407k
11/14/2018 Anaheim/Vegas 230k

Average: 299k

Next week:

11/20/2018 Edmonton/San Jose (non-exclusive)
11/21/2018 Philadelphia/Buffalo (non-exclusive)
11/23/2018 Chicago/Tampa (non-exclusive)

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
OT:

NHL play-off numbers are approximately four to five times higher. E.g. the second round of the playoffs 2018 averaged more tha 1 million viewers on the NBC family of networks. Caps/Penguins series avaregad over 2M viewers,...

The games ran up against NFL Sunday. MLS is filler programming for Fox and ESPN (though it is more important for Fox as they need content). Ultimately the two networks were buying the USNT rights and to keep that and MLS away from NBC.

Reactions: eddygee

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
OT:

The games ran up against NFL Sunday. MLS is filler programming for Fox and ESPN (though it is more important for Fox as they need content). Ultimately the two networks were buying the USNT rights and to keep that and MLS away from NBC.

Since Coin brought it up honestly the only comparison that can be made is the TV ratings between NHL and MLS Reg. season TV numbers they've become comparable. As much as we complain about needing more games on NBC to showcase NHL to a larger National Audience consistently, NHL still gets 2x the amount of games on NBC as MLS does on FOX . So that shouldn't be discounted. What would NHL Reg Season TV numbers look like without those extra 6-7 games on NBC to pull up regular season numbers. Add in the games so far that didn't rate high enough the regular season average is much lower right now.

As far as Playoffs it's not much of a discussion NHL dominates an is great TV, also as Devil noted those MLS games were going head to head vs King NFL all day long. MLS isn't winning that battle nor would we. Ultimately all 3 networks ESPN, Univision, and FOX are happy with MLS Why? Why because MLS Cable Viewership has steadily increased each yr since 2013. ESPN did just acquire MLS Live this season to provide much needed content for the launch of ESPN+. The same with FS1 like Devils said, MLS provides Much needed live content to a channel like FS1. Which is a horrendous channel btw . Univision is happy as they are experiencing strong TV growth year to year with MLS. As far as NHL I think the arrival of Seattle could propel the league forward and grow on the Knights success when they come on board.

MLS RATINGS.JPG

Attachments

• NHL TV ratings.JPG
    NHL TV ratings.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Sixers have been ahead for a while now, buddy.

Only cities where the NHL team is ahead of the NBA team currently is Washington and Toronto (which is getting closer by the week).

With American Thanksgiving this week, I should be seeing my Canadian source who has access to the ratings up in Canada. I'll pick his brain and see what he gives me. Curious to see if Winnipeg is still in freefall (they failed to sell out playoff games last season and local ratings were down significantly to start this season).

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
I'd like to a graph of the average regular season rating for NHL on NBC and NBCSports over the past 5 years.

Ratings trending up? Trending down? Stagnant? (which would be as good as "up" considering everything else is going down).

All of these numbers being posted are kinda useless without context.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
I'd like to a graph of the average regular season rating for NHL on NBC and NBCSports over the past 5 years.

Ratings trending up? Trending down? Stagnant? (which would be as good as "up" considering everything else is going down).

Good point I will have to look for the NBC on NHL one gimme a sec.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018

Here you go a wikipedia chart that goes all the way back to the start of the TV with NBC in 2010 and here's a graph from Sports Business Daily that tracks NBC and NBCSN going back to the 2013-2014.

NBC/NBCSN See Lowest NHL Season Under Current Media Rights Deal
NBC, NBCSN See Viewership Figures Decline For '14-15 NHL Regular Season

NHL TV ratings.JPG

NHL Ratings Capture.JPG
NHL Ratings Capture2.JPG

Reactions: SwaggySpungo

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
The good news is that the past couple of SC Playoffs has seen significant TV viewership growth despite a lack of "flagship" teams.

Exactly, NHL play-offs ratings and Stanley Final ratings are up. NHL did a good job with NBC. The difference between pre-lockout and post-lockout numbers is huge.

upload_2018-11-18_12-13-27.png

Last season's playoffs was rating bonanza even without Original Six teams. These numbers don't include Final:

NHL TV ratings are in a good condition. The weakest from Big Four, but far away ahaed other leagues.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Let's see.......

Regular season trending slightly down. But, playoffs up when considering who is involved. There is a fairly easy conclusion there: People enjoy watching hockey on TV when it means something, but not otherwise.

Next question: What changes when Seattle enters the league?
Probable answer: Regular season doesn't change much. No reason to expect it will, since why will so many Seattle people tune in to watch what are mostly ETZ games? Playoffs maybe don't have room to expand much more.

Current working theory: If NHL thinks that adding Seattle will make their TV contract rise by a large margin, they are going to be disappointed.

2nd current working theory: In spite of what the BOG wants, this will remain a 2nd-tier league (although the only league in that tier - big gap above and below).

3rd working theory: That means that the revenue gap between the haves and the have-nots will continue to grow, and the players may demand more revenue sharing among owners in the next CBA.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Let's see.......

Regular season trending slightly down. But, playoffs up when considering who is involved. There is a fairly easy conclusion there: People enjoy watching hockey on TV when it means something, but not otherwise.

Next question: What changes when Seattle enters the league?
Probable answer: Regular season doesn't change much. No reason to expect it will, since why will so many Seattle people tune in to watch what are mostly ETZ games? Playoffs maybe don't have room to expand much more.

Current working theory: If NHL thinks that adding Seattle will make their TV contract rise by a large margin, they are going to be disappointed.

2nd current working theory: In spite of what the BOG wants, this will remain a 2nd-tier league (although the only league in that tier - big gap above and below).

3rd working theory: That means that the revenue gap between the haves and the have-nots will continue to grow, and the players may demand more revenue sharing among owners in the next CBA.

I agree pretty much. NHL does have to figure a way to reverse the regular season trend with ratings if they can get NBCSN back up to around 400k from 302k by the middle of next season I think we can get a large TV bump. When you consider what tiers I look at it like this, there are even certain levels among tiers. IMHO most Americans see the below US Pro Sports leagues like this based off of popularity polling, social media interaction and TV ratings. Whats's changed in the past 10+yrs? The NBA has solidly overtaking MLB, NHL has went from a honest debate of being low tier 1 where they were alone before. MLS has ascended from from low tier 3 level to the verge of joining NHL in Low tier 2. NHL of course will be top in Tier 2 because MLS doesn't have the revenue to get the very top players. I don't think they have to be like the other top Americans leagues, where they're the top league in the world. Soccer is different there are more than one top league, they're (5) in the world. MLS is between top 10-15 amongst leagues. They just have to get close to draw EPL type TV numbers. If you were a business man what leagues would you guys invest stock in? I love the business and analytical side of sports TV.

Tier 1
NFL
NBA

Low Tier 1
MLB

Tier 2
NHL

Low Tier 2
MLS

Tier 3
WNBA
MLL