2018-19 NHL TV ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Im surprised by this because of the Predators. Can anyone else give some insight on this? Does anyone have viewership numbers?

It's doubtful as that site basically is the only game in town when it comes to reporting US TV ratings to the public. Unfortunately SportsTVRatings ceased operating as a functional site and no longer reports ratings Daily Ratings.

Last edited:

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
I really wonder what the next move is for TV ratings people complained and said ratings were down because of the same 6 teams. But what if it is what it is and like most leagues you kinda need and want the big markets to carry your league?

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I really wonder what the next move is for TV ratings people complained and said ratings were down because of the same 6 teams. But what if it is what it is and like most leagues you kinda need and want the big markets to carry your league?

Well, it was during Game 2 of the world series. Put this game in January or February and you might get higher ratings.

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Wow a 0.8 for the Bruins. Never thought I'd see the day. Have to go way back in my notebook to find the last time they rated so poorly. They are clearly a distant 4th in the Boston sports landscape currently. Hell, they're probably closer to the Revs than any of the other 3.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Not shocking here:

The Bruins asked the NHL if they could move Saturday's game against Montreal to a 4 or 5 PM start and were told no because of TVAS and Rogers wanted the 7 PM start.

The HF Bruins board on Tuesday had more people posting about the World Series than the Bruins......and honestly that reflects the Boston market.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wow a 0.8 for the Bruins. Never thought I'd see the day. Have to go way back in my notebook to find the last time they rated so poorly. They are clearly a distant 4th in the Boston sports landscape currently. Hell, they're probably closer to the Revs than any of the other 3.

They are 4th but not very far behind the Celtics.

A lot of people were watching the Bruins via NESNgo which is not reflected in the ratings.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Are people seriously complaining about the Bruins getting trounced by the Red Sox in the WORLD SERIES?

The Blue Jays would positively obliterate the Leafs in a similar scenario. When the Jays made the playoffs a few years ago, nobody was talking hockey in Toronto.

This is just common sense, folks. You would have to REALLY hate Baseball to not watch your home team in the World Series. I’m surprised the game even got a 0.8.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta

Is it the same notebook with the made-up TV numbers, and not the authentic TV ratings?

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Why is everyone still getting uptight about poorly rated games in October? Besides opening night and the Black Friday thing, when has the NHL ever received high ratings when the MLB playoffs and NFL/NCAA football are in full swing?

Also, the COO of the NHL is on record as saying that for advertising and tv purposes most of the value comes from the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Those 2.5 months are worth more than the entire regular season. So until those start drastically declining I think the league will be alright

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
On Saturday night - Bruins/Montreal started with a 4.0 rating in the 7 to 8 PM slot but by 8 PM with Montreal leading 2-0 and the World Series starting at 8:09 PM it dropped to a 0.6.

I am sure many fans checked in on the Bruins game between innings but unless they watched for more than 5 minutes it would not show. Remember the World Series outcome was in doubt on Saturday after the Game 3 marathon on Friday.

Nobody bleeds Bruins black and gold more than I but the Red Sox in the World Series will take center stage in this market even with hardcore hockey fans.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
On Saturday night - Bruins/Montreal started with a 4.0 rating in the 7 to 8 PM slot but by 8 PM with Montreal leading 2-0 and the World Series starting at 8:09 PM it dropped to a 0.6.

I am sure many fans checked in on the Bruins game between innings but unless they watched for more than 5 minutes it would not show. Remember the World Series outcome was in doubt on Saturday after the Game 3 marathon on Friday.

Nobody bleeds Bruins black and gold more than I but the Red Sox in the World Series will take center stage in this market even with hardcore hockey fans.

Ahhh congrats Fenway hopefully you didn't party too hard. Seems like my O's blew their shot a cpl yrs back when they had one of the best teams in baseball and somehow let a upstart why not us Royals team sweep them in the ALCS.

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
NHL 2018/2019 TV ratings

NBCSN:

10/3/2018 Boston/Washington 633k
10/3/2018 Anaheim/San Jose 338k
10/4/2018 Nashville/NY Rangers 194k (non-exclusive)
10/4/2018 Philadelphia/Vegas 227k (non-exclusive)
10/9/2018 San Jose/Philadelphia 249k
10/10/2018 Vegas/Washington 543k
10/16/2018 Arizona/Minnesota 197k
10/17/2018 NY Rangers/Washington 329k
10/17/2018 Boston/Calgary 162k
10/19/2018 Minnesota/Dallas 196k
10/23/2018 San Jose/Nashville N/A
10/24/2018 Toronto/Winnipeg 167k
10/24/2018 Tampa Bay/Colorado 177k
10/30/2018 Vegas/Nashville 227k

Average: 280k

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Next two games on NBCSN: Jets/Panthers, Oilers/Lightning... why does NBCSN commit suicide? :popcorn:

NHL execs listened to fans complain that regular season ratings were down because of the same teams always being televised on TV. So this is what we get. In one mind the younger budding stars get seen on National TV, but if no one watches but those markets I'm not sure the good it does. I'm in the get the TV ratings as high as we can regardless camp even if it has to be the same teams. Why?... TV money

I think doubling the number of games on NBC and using the extra games to show the other teams, would've been a better NBC/NHL strategy than this. IMHO it sets the league up for failure in the next TV deal if this keeps up. I know it's been said to ignore the regular season TV ratings because NHL's TV value is in the playoffs but that's a very short sighted strategy. You can't have 6 months of a TV product that has diminished in value for the better part of a decade and just rely on 2 months of Stanley Cup post season to carry the product value. That can't be the overall strategy, what happens if the regular season apathy seeps into the post season (see MLB this year).

MLB can afford to take those lumps though because of a bigger pool of TV audience.

Last edited:

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
NHL execs listened to fans complain that regular season ratings were down because of the same teams always being televised on TV. So this is what we get. In one mind the younger budding stars get seen on National TV, but if no one watches but those markets I'm not sure the good it does. I'm in the get the TV ratings as high as we can regardless camp even if it has to be the same teams. Why?... TV money

I think doubling the number of games on NBC and using the extra games to show the other teams, would've been a better NBC/NHL strategy than this. IMHO it sets the league up for failure in the next TV deal if this keeps up. I know it's been said to ignore the regular season TV ratings because NHL's TV value is in the playoffs but that's a very short sighted strategy. You can't have 6 months of a TV product that has diminished in value for the better part of a decade and just rely on 2 months of Stanley Cup post season to carry the product value. That can't be the overall strategy, what happens if the regular season apathy seeps into the post season (see MLB this year).

MLB can afford to take those lumps though because of a bigger pool of TV audience.
Pretty much spot on. NBC has the reach required to showcase a matchup such as Jets/Panthers. However I do think there would be more negative press about poor OTA ratings as opposed to cable. I remember media having a field day when NBC games were being beaten by their surfing and ice skating lead-ins in 07

Reactions: eddygee

sctvman

Pretty much spot on. NBC has the reach required to showcase a matchup such as Jets/Panthers. However I do think there would be more negative press about poor OTA ratings as opposed to cable. I remember media having a field day when NBC games were being beaten by their surfing and ice skating lead-ins in 07

I was doing some previous research, and the NHL has come a long way. One of the 2007 Ducks/Senators Stanley Cup Final games only drew 450,000 viewers. The clincher that year only drew 3 million viewers on NBC.

There were several markets in our region that used to preempt NBC hockey games for regional ACC or SEC basketball.

Reactions: eddygee

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
I was doing some previous research, and the NHL has come a long way. One of the 2007 Ducks/Senators Stanley Cup Final games only drew 450,000 viewers. The clincher that year only drew 3 million viewers on NBC.

There were several markets in our region that used to preempt NBC hockey games for regional ACC or SEC basketball.
It has been quite a ride since that full season lockout. Some of the viewing patterns have been interesting to say the least. Fort Myers, Fl and Las Vegas usually being in the top 10 for Finals games. Tampa and Nashville's much better ability to attract secondary instate markets than San Jose etc.

Also, Seattle balancing out divisions and getting a team, as their NBC affiliate routinely pre-empted playoff games around that time as well

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
Next two games on NBCSN: Jets/Panthers, Oilers/Lightning... why does NBCSN commit suicide? :popcorn:

Doesn't look like the Jets vs Panthers game made the Top 150 ratings. You called it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad