2018-19 NHL TV ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I think the bigger problem is the NHL has changed since 2004 and not for the better

this is definitely not it.

I think Canada is diversifying. And the generation of people who loved the Leafs because they were the only game in town for everyone in English Canada are just straight dying off. A kid in Saskatoon can cheer for the Jets or Flames or Oilers or Capitals or Ducks, or they could be hooked on baseball or basketball... in 1965, your only option there was to follow the Leafs.

The NHL has literally never been more popular than it has been post-lockout. Canada is just transitioning to be more like the US than it was 20-30 years ago.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
The demographics of the city (and country) have changed drastically since 2004.

I had no idea the ratings dropped that much. Sad.

Sorry , but it is all on the guys running the show at Rogers. They finally got rid of the guy most responsible for the broadcasts . But, it's too late. The response has always been it's because the Leafs were a losing team. That argument hasn't held water for two years. The media department is a drag on Rogers financials. Plain and simple, people's viewing habits have changed and the folks at Rogers have no idea how to deal with it.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

Nicky Santoro

May 23, 2012
Montreal
Will we get the whole Boston ratings again? All 3 teams were playing at the exact same time and all the games were pretty close to the end. It's a no brainer IMO.. it'll be 1- Bruins. 2- Celtics and 3- RedSox..

i just want to see how close it was...

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I looked up Steve Lepore for Puck the Media and the last article I saw from him was written in 2012.

Last tweet was in 2012 as well. How about providing a direct link to this claim.
NextBigThing has a history of making things up, especially with TV Ratings. It's well known to most who have followed this forum for a substantial period of time. One of his favorite targets of misinformation is the Winnipeg market, for some reason. Nothing he says should be taken seriously.

As for Steve Lepore, he was fired years ago (2014), for sexually harassing women on social media. He has been blacklisted from the industry:

https://deadspin.com/hockey-blogger-fired-for-being-a-serial-creep-to-women-1665117935

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
NHL got clobbered by Moses on Saturday

TV Ratings Saturday: ‘The Ten Commandments’ leads a quiet night, NHL Playoffs lose steam

upload_2019-4-22_19-5-11.png

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
I need help :) I have problem to understand this text:

"Now it’s all on the Leafs, who drew an overnight, estimated 2,011,000 last Friday night on CBC in a Game 5 victory over the Bruins in Boston. Of that audience, an estimated 632,000 watched on CBC’s Toronto affiliate CBLT. On Sportsnet National the same night, there were an estimated 1,507,000 Toronto-Boston viewers. The halo effect saw big boosts to Hockey Central following the game, with 1,287,000 sticking with CBC’s window on the hockey highlight package."

brioux.tv | TV News & Reviews

So there was total audience of 3,3 mil. viewers?

Thank you.

eddygee

Mar 12, 2018
NBC can have horror scenary.

Caps OUT
Bruins OUT
Knights OUT

I feel like I jinxed the CAPS I was talking cocky to my buddies when we were up in this series thinking it would be easy. I'm legit worried now.

Last edited:

Coinneach

Feb 1, 2014
Czech Republic
Stanley Cup playoffs Day 11 (Saturday):

DALLAS/NASHVILLE 1.2M viewers on NBC

WINNIPEG/ST.LOUIS 577k on NBCSN (non-exclusive)

CAROLINA/WASHINGTON 1.6M on NBC

Stanley Cup playoffs Day 12 (Sunday):

BOSTON/TORONTO 1.8M on NBC

SAN JOSE/VEGAS 1.3M on NBCSN (!) (non-exclusive)

Last edited:

razor ray

May 8, 2011
Stanley Cup playoffs Day 11 (Saturday):

DALLAS/NASHVILLE 1.2M viewers on NBC

WINNIPEG/ST.LOUIS 577k on NBCSN (non-exclusive)

CAROLINA/WASHINGTON 1.6M on NBC

NBC fleeced the NHL with that TV contract. Good God.

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
NBC fleeced the NHL with that TV contract. Good God.

Keep things in perspective.

NBC paid the NHL $0.00 to air regular season games + playoffs + Stanley Cup Final for the first broadcast TV contract after the 2004 lockout. They shared ad revenue, only after all broadcast expenses were paid to NBC. The NHL wasn't guaranteed even 1 penny.

The latest deal was considered a monster contract when it was signed. Live sports deals have gone completely insane since. Even the friggin' WWE got $1 billion from FOX (which is just straight up comical).

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018

That Sharks-Vegas number is insane.

A certain trade made in the summer of 1988 sure is paying off for the league all these years later.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
NBC has got to love how the first round shook down in the west. St Louis/Dallas is perfect for them, big markets, and Colorado knocking off the Flames. San Jose/Vegas is almost a wash, but Vegas would be better. The Las Vegas market has always been a strong hockey ratings market, even before the NHL came to town

NextBigThing

Feb 25, 2010
Devine Rink
Curious to see who wins the night in Toronto. Tradition would say the Leafs big, but from what I'm hearing the Raptors are gaining ground very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad