League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Skinner is super talented and a terrific gamble at that cost by Buffalo. The Canes didn't get a 1st round pick, a top prospect, or a 1st round pick for a guy who is one of the best in the league at putting the pucks in the net, which really makes no sense for a team that finished 23rd in the league in goals per game last season and lacks true game-changers on offense.

That said, Skinner is by no means a complete player and looks like he's one concussion away from having to eat out of a straw for the rest of his life. I honestly cringe every time he gets hit... the dude has had some very scary head injuries.

Jun 15, 2007
Apparently Zach Aston Reese just started eating foods not out of a straw. Damn.

For a borderline NHL player that's probably a career ending injury.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
RIP Stan...

"He was the first player to win all three trophies (Hart, Ross, Lady Byng) in one year and the only player to win all three in consecutive years."

Blackhawks great Stan Mikita dies at 78: 'He was hard-working. He was unselfish. He was a superstar.'

Father time is a beetch! The legends of the 60s are almost gone. Orr, Howe, Hull, Beliveau, Mikita, Esposito, Geoffreon. Not many left. When I grew up those were the old guys that were retiring but I read a lot about them and loved all those characters. First book I ever finished was Dynamite on Ice, the Bobby Orr story, in 1st grade.

Stan was the Man! RIP.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
RIP Stan...

"He was the first player to win all three trophies (Hart, Ross, Lady Byng) in one year and the only player to win all three in consecutive years."

Blackhawks great Stan Mikita dies at 78: 'He was hard-working. He was unselfish. He was a superstar.'

Hull had the flash, but Mikita was, as described in the quote above, a hard worker. One of my faves in my yut. Not sure that Oshie is the best comparable on today's Caps, but they're close (accounting for different eras and styles/pace of play), imo.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I always thought dealing with a rival team winning the Stanley Cup would be the hardest thing to deal with as a fan, but I'm starting to realize that this batch of adolescent Toronto fans has already got me more frustrated than I ever was with Pittsburgh fans.

They've gone simultaneously insane in two separate directions for the past few years, but this season has absolutely been a tipping point for me. Depending on which cesspool of confirmation bias you're talking to, you're either guaranteed to look like an idiot on the wrong side of history as the Leafs start sweeping up trophies, or you're two steps away from committing a hate crime as Leafs fans have been treated so poorly that they ought to be a protected class.

It genuinely reminds me of when a few 14 year old kids are in an otherwise adult locker room. Most of the real fun stops, the shrieking begins, and if you try to treat them like adults they're almost instantly convinced you hate them because they still don't know how to shoot the ****. When it looked like it was going to be Edmonton fans it just seemed like the NHL circle of life, I never hoped for them to get Chiarelli'd the way they did.

Toronto fans managed to get me to actively root against another franchise in a way I didn't think possible.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I always thought dealing with a rival team winning the Stanley Cup would be the hardest thing to deal with as a fan, but I'm starting to realize that this batch of adolescent Toronto fans has already got me more frustrated than I ever was with Pittsburgh fans.

They've gone simultaneously insane in two separate directions for the past few years, but this season has absolutely been a tipping point for me. Depending on which cesspool of confirmation bias you're talking to, you're either guaranteed to look like an idiot on the wrong side of history as the Leafs start sweeping up trophies, or you're two steps away from committing a hate crime as Leafs fans have been treated so poorly that they ought to be a protected class.

It genuinely reminds me of when a few 14 year old kids are in an otherwise adult locker room. Most of the real fun stops, the shrieking begins, and if you try to treat them like adults they're almost instantly convinced you hate them because they still don't know how to shoot the ****. When it looked like it was going to be Edmonton fans it just seemed like the NHL circle of life, I never hoped for them to get Chiarelli'd the way they did.

Toronto fans managed to get me to actively root against another franchise in a way I didn't think possible.

Oh, I know it.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Just got my NHLtv renewal email. I am really wishing lately that they would bring back the Vault feature. I want to be able to rewatch great games, especially of the Ovie era, and I want access to this SC run forever.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Just got my NHLtv renewal email. I am really wishing lately that they would bring back the Vault feature. I want to be able to rewatch great games, especially of the Ovie era, and I want access to this SC run forever.

I would second the Vault feature. Didn't that go away when they switched to MLBs streaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad