League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I was rooting for the Jackets to get a point, hoping they would stay ahead of Pitt. Philly and Carolina, I mean, whatever. Not sure what the Sabres have to do with anything.

I don't think the Caps are safe and until they are safe I'll be rooting for whatever outcomes give them the best chance at punching their ticket. Once it looks like they're a near lock I'll start paying more attention to seeding scenarios.

As for Buffalo, they are in 10th place and likely the only other team that could make a playoff push out side of the top 9 right now.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't think the Caps are safe and until they are safe I'll be rooting for whatever outcomes give them the best chance at punching their ticket. Once it looks like they're a near lock I'll start paying more attention to seeding scenarios.

As for Buffalo, they are in 10th place and likely the only other team that could make a playoff push out side of the top 9 right now.
They're probably not safe, but I guess I don't feel too anxious about it. But I'll work with that for the vicarious enjoyment.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan and txpd

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
They're probably not safe, but I guess I don't feel too anxious about it. But I'll work with that for the vicarious enjoyment.

I don't think the Caps are safe if they quit playing or something. They are 6-3-1 in their last 10. They look to at least break even on a 6 game road trip and 3 back to backs. I am not worried about anything except their seeding. I would rather they win the division.

I guess you have to ask one question. Do they really want to win another cup? Last season they could have been satisfied just beating the Penguins. This season they could be satisfied with just winning the one cup. Its my view that the answer is the same one as whether they were satisfied with just getting the Pens monkey off their backs.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I don't think the Caps are safe if they quit playing or something. They are 6-3-1 in their last 10. They look to at least break even on a 6 game road trip and 3 back to backs. I am not worried about anything except their seeding. I would rather they win the division.

I guess you have to ask one question. Do they really want to win another cup? Last season they could have been satisfied just beating the Penguins. This season they could be satisfied with just winning the one cup. Its my view that the answer is the same one as whether they were satisfied with just getting the Pens monkey off their backs.

Over their last 22 games they play the Lightning x3, NYI x2, Carolina x2, and Pittsburgh along with games against Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal. It's not an easy schedule even if they don't quit playing. As for winning the Metro they're 3 points back of New York and the Islanders have 2 games in hand. I don't think winning the division is in the cards barring a 15-5-2 run or something like that to close out the regular season (and that's assuming the Islanders play .500 hockey or worse).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Over their last 22 games they play the Lightning x3, NYI x2, Carolina x2, and Pittsburgh along with games against Winnipeg, Toronto, and Montreal. It's not an easy schedule even if they don't quit playing. As for winning the Metro they're 3 points back of New York and the Islanders have 2 games in hand. I don't think winning the division is in the cards barring a 15-5-2 run or something like that to close out the regular season (and that's assuming the Islanders play .500 hockey or worse).

Ok...its not an easy schedule. Those games v TB, NYI, Caro, and Pittsburgh. You really think they wont at least break even? Really?

As for the division. I didn't say they would win. I said I would prefer they win. As you say, they have two games with the Islanders. Win those two first. Second, games in hand mean a stretch of heavy schedule. Winning games in hand is never as easy as it seems.

edit: NYI current schedule. Calgary, Edmonton(back to back), Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Washington(back to back), Philly. The remaining NYI schedule is no cake walk

Meanwhile the Caps next 8 are Toronto, Buffalo, Rangers, Ottawa, Islanders, Rangers, Flyers, Devils

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Ok...its not an easy schedule. Those games v TB, NYI, Caro, and Pittsburgh. You really think they wont at least break even? Really?

As for the division. I didn't say they would win. I said I would prefer they win. As you say, they have two games with the Islanders. Win those two first. Second, games in hand mean a stretch of heavy schedule. Winning games in hand is never as easy as it seems.

edit: NYI current schedule. Calgary, Edmonton(back to back), Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Washington(back to back), Philly. The remaining NYI schedule is no cake walk

I don't know if they break even. I think they do but I also didn't think they'd lose 7 straight before the break. All it takes is another prolonged cold streak on offense or another streak where the goalies can't stop a beach ball to put them in real trouble.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I think the bye week will burst the Isles bubble. They were on a roll and playing good hockey, but I suspect they come back looking more like they did earlier in the season. I just don't think have the talent or experience to keep it up. We'll see tho.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't know if they break even. I think they do but I also didn't think they'd lose 7 straight before the break. All it takes is another prolonged cold streak on offense or another streak where the goalies can't stop a beach ball to put them in real trouble.

The 7 straight before the break was their cup hangover. They were really tired. Do you think they are a cup contender? I do, so I am not worried.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
The 7 straight before the break was their cup hangover. They were really tired. Do you think they are a cup contender? I do, so I am not worried.

Not the way they are playing I don’t. They have time to fix it, but they are nowhere near where they were last spring

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not the way they are playing I don’t. They have time to fix it, but they are nowhere near where they were last spring

They are about where they were last year. Last year from Februay 11 to March 8 they were 5-8. They won 2 in a row once. They lost 2 in a row 3 times. 3 of the wins were against Buffalo and Ottawa.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
They are about where they were last year. Last year from Februay 11 to March 8 they were 5-8. They won 2 in a row once. They lost 2 in a row 3 times. 3 of the wins were against Buffalo and Ottawa.

So your assuming we will see them flip a switch again? It can happen, but I would rather see them play consistently closer to their potential (not even caring about points) and roll into the playoffs looking like they can beat other good teams in seven games. I don’t like praying we have another turnaround after our coach almost gets fired during the regular season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
So your assuming we will see them flip a switch again? It can happen, but I would rather see them play consistently closer to their potential (not even caring about points) and roll into the playoffs looking like they can beat other good teams in seven games. I don’t like praying we have another turnaround after our coach almost gets fired during the regular season.

To be honest with you, since they won 2 President's Trophies with the 2 best back to back regular seasons going back to the Bowman Habs of the 70s and not win the cup, I am not judging anything on appearances. If that does anything for me, it is that I question Tampa Bay more than most.

I said already that I would like to see them win the division. I think they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad