League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
Reading the posts about "getting out" of a large contract thru the Seattle expansion draft reminds me of the opinions expressed on this board that the Vegas draft would facilitate getting out of the Orpik contract. imo, something like that ain't gonna happen in 2021, either, unless a) Caps offer a sweetener, or b) the new franchise calculates it needs higher-paid players to reach the cap floor.

Another reason why it probably won't happen is that cheaper options with higher potentials will be have to be left unprotected, unless Caps tank and go on a great sell-off.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Reading the posts about "getting out" of a large contract thru the Seattle expansion draft reminds me of the opinions expressed on this board that the Vegas draft would facilitate getting out of the Orpik contract. imo, something like that ain't gonna happen in 2021, either, unless a) Caps offer a sweetener, or b) the new franchise calculates it needs higher-paid players to reach the cap floor.

Another reason why it probably won't happen is that cheaper options with higher potentials will be have to be left unprotected, unless Caps tank and go on a great sell-off.

But that was pretty much always presupposed. You're not getting Seattle, or Vegas before them, to eat your contract without a sweetener. What the sweetener winds up being is up for debate, but you can set prices on some pretty obscure practices as an expansion team, like the Brassard flip or the Reilly Smith negotiation.

Reactions: Hivemind

Empty Goal Net

Tank Brigadier
Feb 13, 2010
But that was pretty much always presupposed. You're not getting Seattle, or Vegas before them, to eat your contract without a sweetener. What the sweetener winds up being is up for debate, but you can set prices on some pretty obscure practices as an expansion team, like the Brassard flip or the Reilly Smith negotiation.

Agreed. Much time and space between now and then, players can be traded and prospects can become guys who have to be protected.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

TJ Oshie will (hopefully) be a much better hockey player at that juncture than Orpik was at the time of the Vegas expansion draft. Same with Carlson and Holtby. More importantly, however, are Oshie's connections to the area. He's a native of the Seattle metro area and a fan favorite even up there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ahawks-preseason-game/?utm_term=.a9aa303a4cb3

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
TJ Oshie will (hopefully) be a much better hockey player at that juncture than Orpik was at the time of the Vegas expansion draft. Same with Carlson and Holtby. More importantly, however, are Oshie's connections to the area. He's a native of the Seattle metro area and a fan favorite even up there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ahawks-preseason-game/?utm_term=.a9aa303a4cb3

Additionally, it really does seem like McPhee was determined to help the Capitals out as little as possible. His asking price for anything resembling a favor was almost certainly astronomical, but without that kind of built-in bad blood I don't see why Seattle would play hardball in quite the same way.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I'm hoping Oshie fully recovers, never gets another concussion, plays out his contract with the Caps and retires.

I agree. If he would fight more and deliver well timed/placed cheap shots....he’d be the 2010s version of Hunter.

Offense, cheapness, leadership, bringing it every night, team guy, etc.

Ovechkin is awesome, Oshie is the man.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Outside of the Caps, the division appears to be a train wreck. It’s hard to imagine anyone other than Pitt finishing in second.

It's still early but yep. I have no idea why some of the other Metro teams were getting so much hype this offseason. Columbus still lacks any real goal scoring threats outside of Panarin and are overly reliant on Bob. Philadelphia is still very top heavy and has no goaltending. Carolina struggled to score goals then gave away two of their better goal scorers and surprise, they're again struggling to score goals. Plus, their goaltending stinks.

It's Washington then Pittsburgh then probably Columbus and then a bunch of teams with glaring holes and significant talent deficiencies.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
It's still early but yep. I have no idea why some of the other Metro teams were getting so much hype this offseason. Columbus still lacks any real goal scoring threats outside of Panarin and are overly reliant on Bob. Philadelphia is still very top heavy and has no goaltending. Carolina struggled to score goals then gave away two of their better goal scorers and surprise, they're again struggling to score goals. Plus, their goaltending stinks.

It's Washington then Pittsburgh then probably Columbus and then a bunch of teams with glaring holes and significant talent deficiencies.
At some point, Columbus needs to deal with Panarin and Bob too. I am not sure what they do, but letting those guys walk for nothing would be a giant mistake.

If I’m betting, I’m taking NYI to take third.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
At some point, Columbus needs to deal with Panarin and Bob too. I am not sure what they do, but letting those guys walk for nothing would be a giant mistake.

If I’m betting, I’m taking NYI to take third.
I bet they trade Bob and spend the offseason outside Panarin's window with a boombox next to @Raikkonen

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The Pens are one game out of second place. They'll be fine, unfortunately.

Oh no doubt. I would never kick dirt on a team with Crosby/Malkin up the middle. If they drop Johnson and trade for a decent dmen most of their problems are solved.

Murray getting on track would be good as well, but Jarry and DeSmith are not the worst goalie tandem in the league.

I bet they trade Bob and spend the offseason outside Panarin's window with a boombox next to @Raikkonen

I think they do just the opposite. Trade Panarin and do everything to keep Bob.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Additionally, it really does seem like McPhee was determined to help the Capitals out as little as possible. His asking price for anything resembling a favor was almost certainly astronomical, but without that kind of built-in bad blood I don't see why Seattle would play hardball in quite the same way.

Which is why they'll name Adam Oates as their GM.....:sarcasm:

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
30 games in. Not worth giving up on Burky. Worst case is he’s scratched and moved end of year.

We are lucky to basically be injury free now with our forwards. Being able to scratch a guy like Burky is a luxury.

Caps have scored 3 or more goals in like 12 straight games. Offense isn’t an issue right now. Unfortunately Burky isn’t as good defensively as the other guys in the bottom 6, so he’s odd man out.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Chukcha

Aug 24, 2011
mongolian steppes
Some people on the main board still considering us (the defending champions) as a dark horse team. Sometimes i still don't believe we've done it, it seems to me i'm sleeping and this win is just a dream :laugh:

Reactions: calicapsfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->