League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
We have the retro jerseys as the 3rd. have for a while? Was White for a spell, now the Red.

I wouldn't be shocked if they used the Blue Outdoor Series jersey again a few times. That would be cool

I got drunk the night we re-signed Wilson and, lo and behold, 3 weeks later I had a Tom Wilson Stadium Series jersey delivered that I bought online that night from China. My wife laughed at me for not remembering that I ordered it -- I had to search through my email to confirm I bought it -- but it looks good!

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I got drunk the night we re-signed Wilson and, lo and behold, 3 weeks later I had a Tom Wilson Stadium Series jersey delivered that I bought online that night from China. My wife laughed at me for not remembering that I ordered it -- I had to search through my email to confirm I bought it -- but it looks good!
:laugh: We had a whole exchange about it in the Willy contract thread! So I knew you bought it.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
It's weird seeing this. I guess this is how Nashville fans felt.

Screen Shot 2018-09-15 at 4.54.38 AM.png

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think he looks really old there, no idea why but he certainly looks older compared to his time with us. I'm still really curious how he'll be received when he comes back. Not so much the fans but how the media will handle it and how he'll handle them. I wonder if the bad blood will ever come out into the open.

Also, how are they gonna handle some potentially tough times in NYI with Barry and Lou. Or if they're gonna come out of the gate hot like Vegas. I think the right coach can do a lot to make a team competent and that's all you really need.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
I think he looks really old there, no idea why but he certainly looks older compared to his time with us. I'm still really curious how he'll be received when he comes back. Not so much the fans but how the media will handle it and how he'll handle them. I wonder if the bad blood will ever come out into the open.

Also, how are they gonna handle some potentially tough times in NYI with Barry and Lou. Or if they're gonna come out of the gate hot like Vegas. I think the right coach can do a lot to make a team competent and that's all you really need.

He should be cheered. He coached the team to a Stanley Cup. With how the past has been for this organization up until last year - EVERY coach and player on last years Cup run should be praised by us (fans, media, etc) for eternity.

Also, it’s not Trotz’s fault he left IMO. Islanders gave him a huuuuge contract and probably 10-15 million more over 5 years the Caps were offering. Can’t blame him at all for taking that. The guy is a huge family man and this was a contract he never had close to before and now gets it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
He should be cheered. He coached the team to a Stanley Cup. With how the past has been for this organization up until last year - EVERY coach and player on last years Cup run should be praised by us (fans, media, etc) for eternity.

Also, it’s not Trotz’s fault he left IMO. Islanders gave him a huuuuge contract and probably 10-15 million more over 5 years the Caps were offering. Can’t blame him at all for taking that. The guy is a huge family man and this was a contract he never had close to before and now gets it.
I honestly dont think Trotz was ever in the Caps plans after last season. Trotz was to be a free agent and I'm sure Caps management already had Reirdon penciled in as the new head coach.
A clause in Trotz's contract changed things. Apparently if the Caps won a cup during his tenure he would get a 2 year extension. I dont think they expected that to happen.
The Caps didnt offer Trotz a big contract because I feel they had already made up their mind what direction they wanted to go. I'm sure Trotz and management discussed this long ago. They didnt offer him an extension during the season and there was rumors that Trotz was close to being fired twice last season. There was also the speculation that Trotz told Tortorella that he wasnt coming back.
I feel if Trotz did accept whatever lame offer they made him and he stayed. He would have been fired very early in the upcoming season. Management made their decision. Trotz probably did what was best for him.
This is mostly speculation. We will probably never know what really happened.
I think this incident made the Caps management look bad. Hire a coach that goes on to win 2 presidents trophy's and a Stanley cup in 4 seasons only to get run out if town. His record with the Caps was 205 wins 89 losses and 34 OT losses. That us a very impressive record. Especially in the modern era where there is a lot more parity in the league.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I honestly dont think Trotz was ever in the Caps plans after last season. Trotz was to be a free agent and I'm sure Caps management already had Reirdon penciled in as the new head coach.
A clause in Trotz's contract changed things. Apparently if the Caps won a cup during his tenure he would get a 2 year extension. I dont think they expected that to happen.
The Caps didnt offer Trotz a big contract because I feel they had already made up their mind what direction they wanted to go. I'm sure Trotz and management discussed this long ago. They didnt offer him an extension during the season and there was rumors that Trotz was close to being fired twice last season. There was also the speculation that Trotz told Tortorella that he wasnt coming back.
I feel if Trotz did accept whatever lame offer they made him and he stayed. He would have been fired very early in the upcoming season. Management made their decision. Trotz probably did what was best for him.
I think this incident made the Caps management look bad. Hire a coach that goes on to win 2 presidents trophy's and a Stanley cup in 4 seasons only to get run out if town. His record with the Caps was 205 wins 89 losses and 34 OT losses. That us a very impressive record. Especially in the modern era where there is a lot more parity in the league.

Not to rehash old debates, but I think this sums it up pretty well. But honestly his regular season record rings a bit empty to me. He was given a top 5 roster every year with possibly the best goal scorer ever. The problem was he couldn’t win in the playoffs. By the time he did, the decision had been made and the coach in waiting was part of that equation. I wish him well in NY, although I think he will struggle for a while.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not to rehash old debates, but I think this sums it up pretty well. But honestly his regular season record rings a bit empty to me. He was given a top 5 roster every year with possibly the best goal scorer ever. The problem was he couldn’t win in the playoffs. By the time he did, the decision had been made and the coach in waiting was part of that equation. I wish him well in NY, although I think he will struggle for a while.

Some might say he made (or at least significantly contributed to making) those rosters into top-5 ranking through....you know....coaching.

I wish him well too, and they’ll definitely struggle after losing a star player, but he’ll be good for them.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
At the end of the day he is by far the most successful coach in Caps history and it isn't even close. I doubt Reirdon will be as successful.
I also doubt Trotz's success carries on to the Islanders because the team is so weak.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
At the end of the day he is by far the most successful coach in Caps history and it isn't even close. I doubt Reirdon will be as successful.
I also doubt Trotz's success carries on to the Islanders because the team is so weak.

Sadly, many will begrudgingly admit that while suggesting he was a bit player in the final year. I’d love to know for sure just how much Reirden steered or was it still Barry largely?

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Sadly, many will begrudgingly admit that while suggesting he was a bit player in the final year. I’d love to know for sure just how much Reirden steered or was it still Barry largely?
I'd love to know as well, but the fact that the team let Barry go suggests they at least think he was replaceable.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
Man, seeing that Jets 3rd gives me no hope. Maybe it's just me but I'm not a fan of the stadium series "Caps" jersey.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I'd love to know as well, but the fact that the team let Barry go suggests they at least think he was replaceable.
It might not work in Reirdon's favor. It will be difficult to match what Trotz did here. What happens if the team fails. Do they throw Reirdon under the bus. If the the Caps kept Trotz and failed, they had their scapegoat.
This might not work out well for Reirdon. Because of recent success in the regular season and last seasons success in the playoffs, expectations are going to be high. If the Caps fail there could be some people unhappy about the coaching change. They could say why did they try to fix something that wasnt broken. I would probably be one of them.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Trotz had a contract. He could’ve stayed and coached this same team another year without doing a thing. He wanted to renegotiate, and I don’t blame him, but his demands were unreasonable IMO. The Caps obviously agreed. I doubt he lasts through his deal on the Island/in Brooklyn because the roster is weak.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Trotz will get a decent, well deserved, standing ovation when he returns. He is the best coach the Caps have ever had.

What happened in June was best for everyone.

Also, Lou's gonna Lou. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

At least Management did. Almost nobody is irreplaceable.

Caps lame ducked him, he helped deliver and all sides decide to part ways. Everyone wins IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam Spade

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think they’ll be fine this year (Caps) and I think Barry definitely finishes his contract out in NY.

Caps have a great chance to repeat IMO. I see no Cup hangover coming.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

The only thing I would add, is that I believe the 2yr extension for winning the Cup also has an escalator clause of like 20% (or something), and brought the extra years in at 1.8m vs the 1.5m he was making during the 4yrs of the contract.

That’s what he walked away from. The added 2yrs at 1.8m. Now I may have the specific figures wrong, but that was the premise.

Of course the Caps could have certainly torn that up and given him a larger deal. Who knows they ended up offering? It wasn’t 5x5 that he reported asking for, that’s for sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: calicapsfan

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

My personal opinion, from listening to the players and GMBM over the years, is that a huge part of Barry’s value was in leadership, loyalty, and the overall mindset of the franchise. He set examples and structure that were extremely important for the team as it came out of the last years of George and the Oates fiasco. That was more important than the actual X’s and O’s for them.

As the seasons went by, and Barry’s mindset and structural baselines became indoctrinated, the X’s and O’s piece became more and more of a focal point. So much so that it’s what “seemed” to prevent the team from winning a Cup in 17, by losing to what looked like an inferior team in Pittsburgh. The franchise then allowed others (ie: Reirden) to have more and more authority in the game management and planning, to the point it became a very shared responsibility. More than it is with other teams. Subsequently, they won the Cup.

Now, it’s probably very debatable — even to the guys in the room and to the coaches themselves — as to who was ultimately responsible for the game plans that won it all. We all have our own opinions (I don’t think it’s at all a coincidence that the team’s success seemingly coincided w Reirden’s ascension of authority), and perhaps this years results will shine added light to it all.

But, it should be 100% obvious to all, that it took the entire group to make it happen. Every coach, every player. It just did. And that should be remembered over the years. IMO. More than anything.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think this incident made the Caps management look bad. Hire a coach that goes on to win 2 presidents trophy's and a Stanley cup in 4 seasons only to get run out if town.
His record with the Caps was 205 wins 89 losses and 34 OT losses. That us a very impressive record. Especially in the modern era where there is a lot more parity in the league.

I agree with most of this except the bold part. We know two things for a fact. BM said right after the Cup final ended that BT was the coach, he was under contract, if he wanted to be the coach he would remain the coach. And then BT resigned. I don't think this makes management look bad, or that Trotz was run out of town.

The missing part we don't know is exactly how the contract renegotiation really went. Maybe BM said "You're under contract, thats all there is too it...." or maybe he made an offer of an increase in either pay or term or both and BT declined that offer. This is what we don't know, but in the end BM said Trotz will be the coach if he wants to stay, and Trotz resigned. In the end it worked out for everyone, even with a tiny bit of stink about it. We will probably never truly know just exactly how hard GMBM tried to make BT happy and reward him after winning the Cup, vs holding a hard line with "you're under contract". It did all happen pretty fast so I'd say negotiations likely were never close.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
My personal opinion, from listening to the players and GMBM over the years, is that a huge part of Barry’s value was in leadership, loyalty, and the overall mindset of the franchise. He set examples and structure that were extremely important for the team as it came out of the last years of George and the Oates fiasco. That was more important than the actual X’s and O’s for them.

As the seasons went by, and Barry’s mindset and structural baselines became indoctrinated, the X’s and O’s piece became more and more of a focal point. So much so that it’s what “seemed” to prevent the team from winning a Cup in 17, by losing to what looked like an inferior team in Pittsburgh. The franchise then allowed others (ie: Reirden) to have more and more authority in the game management and planning, to the point it became a very shared responsibility. More than it is with other teams. Subsequently, they won the Cup.

Now, it’s probably very debatable — even to the guys in the room and to the coaches themselves — as to who was ultimately responsible for the game plans that won it all. We all have our own opinions (I don’t think it’s at all a coincidence that the team’s success seemingly coincided w Reirden’s ascension of authority), and perhaps this years results will shine added light to it all.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The D went from insanely unstructured to a tight group who all made the same plays like robots game after game. Was that Reirden, if so I am not worried in the slightest about making the playoffs.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I agree with most of this except the bold part. We know two things for a fact. BM said right after the Cup final ended that BT was the coach, he was under contract, if he wanted to be the coach he would remain the coach. And then BT resigned. I don't think this makes management look bad, or that Trotz was run out of town.

The missing part we don't know is exactly how the contract renegotiation really went. Maybe BM said "You're under contract, thats all there is too it...." or maybe he made an offer of an increase in either pay or term or both and BT declined that offer. This is what we don't know, but in the end BM said Trotz will be the coach if he wants to stay, and Trotz resigned. In the end it worked out for everyone, even with a tiny bit of stink about it. We will probably never truly know just exactly how hard GMBM tried to make BT happy and reward him after winning the Cup, vs holding a hard line with "you're under contract". It did all happen pretty fast so I'd say negotiations likely were never close.
You believe that GMBM actually wanted Trotz to stay? I dont believe him at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad