Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Others can speak to the forwards. :D

LDRD
Victor HedmanAnton Strålman
Ryan McDonaghMikhail Sergachev
Coburn/KoekkoekDan Girardi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Under a new defense coach, Sergachev will probably be paired with McD and given more minutes now that he's had a full NHL season under his belt and was solid on RD after the TDL and during the playoffs. Girardi would shift to the 3rd pairing with Coburn allowing them to swap in Koekkoek and other rookie d-men on the third pair for mentoring. Since we have three of our veteran defensemen in the final year of their contracts there would be a need to get some of our other younglings some time in the big league.

This allows Strålman to move back up with Hedman instead of having either of them babysitting. Since Girardi's minutes were managed, Strålman did sometimes take shifts with Hedman and their possession numbers were still the best of any other TBL pairing. McD would be a great mentor for Sergachev playing RD his sophomore year just like Strålman was a great mentor for Sergy transitioning to the NHL his rookie year.

This is a sick D-core, this Detroit fan is jealous.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
This thread is a great idea. For Washington, I think the first three lines are right. The fourth line is fluid, as is typical for most teams, but they've signaled that they like Chandler Stephenson at the wing. So it's likely Stephenson at LW and Smith-Pelley at RW. Walker is likely the first winger replacement (though I know that depth isn't on these lists).

It appears from what they have said that they envision prospect Travis Boyd assuming fourth-line center duties. Just in case, they signed veteran journeyman Nic Dowd as risk mitigation in case Boyd isn't up to it out of camp, or needs to be coddled along the way. Those two likely split 4C duties for Washington.

Then of course there is training camp. On defense, the three pairs are set when fully healthy. Bowey no longer has waivers exempt status, so it will probably take a major push to supplant him. He's going to be the #7, although notable kids trying to make the team out of training camp will be Siegenthaler, Johansen, Hobbs, I think.

In goal, Copley will back up Holtby to start the year, until such time as they are comfortable bringing up Samsonov. It's a good list, though.

bauer

I WANT GOALS
Nov 11, 2007
Lindblom is the Flyers 3LW. Raffl will likely play on the 4th line instead of Weise.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the following changes to the Flames lineup (see bolded names). Czarnik normally plays either center or RW (right hand shot). I can see Peters playing him on Jankowski's line thus moving a 30 year old Michael Frolik down to the 4th line on left side as he is a left hand shot. I see Lazar and Hathaway splitting time on the right side of the 4th line. Both are experienced RW's and both are right hand shots.

With regards to the 3rd defense pairing I would switch Stone to the left side and Andersson to the right side. Stone, even though he's a right hand shot, has played LD before. I doubt Peters would play the rookie Andersson on his off side (he's a right hand shot) which is a side he's not familiar with.

As for Lindholm and Neal, I think there's a 50/50 chance that Neal ends up playing with Monahan and JG. I figure that both Neal and Lindholm will get a tryout on the #1 line. Whoever clicks best will likely stay there.

:flames (0 - 0 - 0)

LWCRW
Johnny GaudreauSean MonahanElias Lindholm
Matthew TkachukMikael BacklundJames Neal
Sam BennettMark JankowskiAustin Czarnik
Michael FrolikDerek RyanCurtis Lazar/Garnet Hathaway
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I wouldn't at all be surprised to see the following changes to the Flames lineup (see bolded names). Czarnik normally plays either center or RW (right hand shot). I can see Peters playing him on Jankowski's line thus moving a 30 year old Michael Frolik down to the 4th line on left side as he is a left hand shot. I see Lazar and Hathaway splitting time on the right side of the 4th line. Both are experienced RW's and both are right hand shots.

With regards to the 3rd defense pairing I would switch Stone to the left side and Andersson to the right side. Stone, even though he's a right hand shot, has played LD before. I doubt Peters would play the rookie Andersson on his off side (he's a right hand shot) which is a side he's not familiar with.

As for Lindholm and Neal, I think there's a 50/50 chance that Neal ends up playing with Monahan and JG. I figure that both Neal and Lindholm will get a tryout on the #1 line. Whoever clicks best will likely stay there.

:flames (0 - 0 - 0)

LWCRW
Johnny GaudreauSean MonahanElias Lindholm
Matthew TkachukMikael BacklundJames Neal
Sam BennettMark JankowskiAustin Czarnik
Michael FrolikDerek RyanCurtis Lazar/Garnet Hathaway
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Cannot see Peters' boy Derek Ryan centering the 4th line with Lazar and Frolik. They didn't just pay him 3.125 mil a season to center the 4th with that calibre of player.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Cannot see Peters' boy Derek Ryan centering the 4th line with Lazar and Frolik. They didn't just pay him 3.125 mil a season to center the 4th with that calibre of player.
Even though I have Ryan as the 4th line center I don't look at that line as being the 4th line. I think of that line, along with the Jankowski line, being a 3a line or 3b line. where both lines will get approximately the same amount of ice time. I don't see the Flames as having the "traditional" 4th line of grinders or energy type players. I could have just as easily put the Jankowski line at the bottom of my chart with the Ryan line above.
Also, Ryan will be playing with the highly regarded Michael Frolik (a consistant 0.5 gpg player) on his wing. I also wouldn't be surprised to see either Lazar or Hathaway waived to the AHL if they aren't working out and Andrew Mangiapane recalled (21 goals + 25 assists in 39 games in the AHL last year).
One of Treliving's goals this year was to improve the depth of the bottom 6. He's done this with the Derek Ryan signing and with UFA's you always end up over paying. I expect Ryan's ATOI to be in the 12-13 minute range.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Even though I have Ryan as the 4th line center I don't look at that line as being the 4th line. I think of that line, along with the Jankowski line, being a 3a line or 3b line. where both lines will get approximately the same amount of ice time. I don't see the Flames as having the "traditional" 4th line of grinders or energy type players. I could have just as easily put the Jankowski line at the bottom of my chart with the Ryan line above.
Also, Ryan will be playing with the highly regarded Michael Frolik (a consistant 0.5 gpg player) on his wing. I also wouldn't be surprised to see either Lazar or Hathaway waived to the AHL if they aren't working out and Andrew Mangiapane recalled (21 goals + 25 assists in 39 games in the AHL last year).
One of Treliving's goals this year was to improve the depth of the bottom 6. He's done this with the Derek Ryan signing and with UFA's you always end up over paying. I expect Ryan's ATOI to be in the 12-13 minute range.

I think you're going to be disappointed in that given Peters tendency to lean on Ryan. He averaged 14:53 in 16-17 and improved his on ice usage last season to 15:36 despite players like Aho and TT probably deserving more. I expect him to continue in that 15 minute range and playing with one of the Gaudreau, Neal, or Tkachuk the same way he was flanked by Skinner and Williams for much of the season. We'll have to see though, we're not Bill Peters.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I think that at the start of the season the Oilers lines will look somewhat like this:

Nuge-Mcdavid-Yamo/Pulju/Rattie
Lucic-Drai-Pulju/Yamo
Khaira-Strome-Rieder
Upshall-Brodziak-Kassian

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Benning
Russel-Bouchard

Yamo and Bouchard will get their 9 game tryout and Lucic will most likely start at 2lw and be given a chance to bounce back. I also think Upshall will be signed and that 4th line will be a forechecking/pk beast.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I think Zadina makes it for Detroit.

Bertuzzi - Larkin -Mantha
Rasmussen - Nielsen - Nyquist
AA - Helm - Vanek
Frk- Glendening - Abdelkader
Witkowski

Zadina...gets called up sometime after TDL when Nyquist and/or possibly AA traded. Gives Z him time to adjust to better competition in AHL & potentially SLIDE 1 year of ELC.

If AA could be #3C, then Svechnikov is up at start of season, but I doubt AA can...that 3rd line would be abused in the Dzone. (Svech-AA-Vanek). If AA can, then Helm replaces Frk on 4th.

Nike--fetches late 1st, or 2nd+3rd & b-level Dman prospect
AA--should fetch: 2nd & 4th or 2nd & b-level Dman prospect.

Svechnikov replaces Nike or AA
Turgeon replaces Glendening by TDL. LG fetches 2nd & 5th (Leafs ?)

Post TDL:

Zadina - L - M
Raz - Nielsen - Bert
Svechnikov- Helm - Vanek
Frk - Turgeon - Abby
Witkowski

*Nike may resign in 2019 offseason to replace Vanek.

DDK-Green
E-Daley
Kronner-Hronek
Jensen

Hickets/Sulak -1st callups or when Kronner LTIRs. Jensen is kept 'til Hronek & 1 of Hicketts/Sulak are up permanently, or if they trade Daley? Doubt Big E waives M-NTC, but Daley seems like he would waive his NTC to go to contender.

Post TDL: (Daley traded, Kronner LTIRetired)

DDK-Green
E-Hronek
Sulak-Jensen
Hicketts

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
MARLEAU - MATTHEWS - MARNER
JOHNSSON - TAVARES - NYLANDER
HYMAN - - - - KADRI - - - - KAPANEN
ENNIS/LEIVO - GAUTHIER - BROWN

RIELLY - - - - ZAITSEV
GARDINER - HAINSEY
DERMOTT - BORGMAN/CARRICK

ANDERSEN
MCELHINNY/SPARKS

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
MARLEAU - MATTHEWS - MARNER
JOHNSSON - TAVARES - NYLANDER
HYMAN - - - - KADRI - - - - KAPANEN
ENNIS/LEIVO - GAUTHIER - BROWN

RIELLY - - - - ZAITSEV
GARDINER - HAINSEY
DERMOTT - BORGMAN/CARRICK

ANDERSEN
MCELHINNY/SPARKS

No chance Babcock plays a rookie above Hyman in his lineup

The Leafs have a few duos set in stone but beyond that a lot of placements in the lineup will need to be won in camp

Something like this is closer to what I think we'll see on opening night:

Marleau/Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman/Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen/Johnsson/Ennis - Kadri - Brown
Johnsson/Ennis - Lindholm - Leivo

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick/Borgman

Andersen
McElhinney

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016

The Leafs have a few duos set in stone but beyond that a lot of placements in the lineup will need to be won in camp

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev

Andersen
McElhinney

Yeah i doubt it happens but Hyman - Kadri - Kapanen would be a pain in the ass to play against

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Others can speak to the forwards. :D

LDRD
Victor HedmanAnton Strålman
Ryan McDonaghMikhail Sergachev
Coburn/KoekkoekDan Girardi
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Under a new defense coach, Sergachev will probably be paired with McD and given more minutes now that he's had a full NHL season under his belt and was solid on RD after the TDL and during the playoffs. Girardi would shift to the 3rd pairing with Coburn allowing them to swap in Koekkoek and other rookie d-men on the third pair for mentoring. Since we have three of our veteran defensemen in the final year of their contracts there would be a need to get some of our other younglings some time in the big league.

This allows Strålman to move back up with Hedman instead of having either of them babysitting. Since Girardi's minutes were managed, Strålman did sometimes take shifts with Hedman and their possession numbers were still the best of any other TBL pairing. McD would be a great mentor for Sergachev playing RD his sophomore year just like Strålman was a great mentor for Sergy transitioning to the NHL his rookie year.
no chance to see Cal Foote overpass Coburn / Koekkoek?

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev

Andersen
McElhinney
Still missing a veteran dman in this lineup IMO.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon
no chance to see Cal Foote overpass Coburn / Koekkoek?

Anything is possible but despite his talent and huge potential, there's still a question or two about his skating. Probably needs to cook in the AHL this season and work hard with Barb Underhill. But if he wows at camp then yeah he could possibly earn a cup of coffee up with the big dogs. He's also a RHD and Coburn and Koekkoek are both LHD so Foote would be competing more with Dotchin (who fell out of favor with the coaches last season) and Girardi for a spot.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Still missing a veteran dman in this lineup IMO.

Yup absolutely

Forward lines look unbelievable...

I am a big fan of Andersen in net but i gotta say the d core looks very average...

I hope Dermott has a huge year cause i am a massive fan of his... so if that happens, that should help the team a ton

Last edited:

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Yup absolutely

Forward lines look unbelievable...

I am a big fan of Andersen in net but i gotta say the d core looks very average...

I hope Dermott has a huge year cause i am a massive fan of his... so if that happens, that should help the team a ton
I was extremely surprised by Hainsey's season, but Carrick/Holl/Borgman for the sixth job, not a big fan.

CraigBillington

Dec 10, 2010
AA - Helm - Vanek
Witkowski

Zadina...gets called up sometime after TDL when Nyquist and/or possibly AA traded. Gives Z him time to adjust to better competition in AHL & potentially SLIDE 1 year of ELC.

If AA could be #3C, then Svechnikov is up at start of season, but I doubt AA can...that 3rd line would be abused in the Dzone. (Svech-AA-Vanek). If AA can, then Helm replaces Frk on 4th.

Post TDL:

Zadina - L - M
Raz - Nielsen - Bert
Svechnikov- Helm - Vanek
Frk - Turgeon - Abby
Witkowski

DDK-Green
E-Daley
Kronner-Hronek
Jensen

Hickets/Sulak -1st callups or when Kronner LTIRs. Jensen is kept 'til Hronek & 1 of Hicketts/Sulak are up permanently, or if they trade Daley? Doubt Big E waives M-NTC, but Daley seems like he would waive his NTC to go to contender.

DDK-Green
E-Hronek
Sulak-Jensen
Hicketts
Man..... I shouldn't have to research a team's lineup to figure out who you're talking about when you mention them by a letter ... I thought using initials was annoying enough

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
AA - Helm - Vanek
Witkowski

Post TDL:

Zadina - L - M
Raz - Nielsen - Bert
Svechnikov- Helm - Vanek
Frk - Turgeon - Abby
Witkowski

DDK-Green
E-Daley
Kronner-Hronek
Jensen

DDK-Green
E-Hronek
Sulak-Jensen
Hicketts
Bertuzzi will definitely be in this lineup! Love the kid.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Blackhawks fans should be higher on Dominik Kahun imo. I have been kicking his tires ever since he played in the World Juniors, and how he went undrafted is beyond me. I think he'll make the team, and hopefully they are smart enough to use him on the PP where he excels.

Reactions: Son of Petter

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Benn - Seguin - Radulov
Janmark - Spezza - Comeau
Nichushkin - Faksa - Pitlick
Shore - Dickinson - Ritchie
Elie , Smith ( LTIR Hanzal who knows if and when he returns and how he looks at that point . Not too optimistic since he underwent a spinal fusion )

Lindell - Klingberg
Heiskanen - Johns
Methot - Honka
Polak

Bishop
Khudobin

Is what on the first day of camp Dallas had as what looks like the probable lineup . Of course alot can still change and there's a couple of young guys who will want a spot on the one of 3rd/4th line like say Hintz , Caamano or maybe Gurianov

Last edited:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Dzingel - Duchene - White
Tkachuk - Tierney - Stone
Ryan - Smith - Boedker
McCormick - Paul/Carey - Pyatt
13: Paajarvi
Fringe guys: Chlapik, Brown, Batherson, Formenton

Chabot - Ceci
Borowiecki - Wideman
Wolanin - DeMelo