Belfast_Giants-50x50.jpg

MANITOBA BISONS 4
BELFAST GIANTS 5

Links:
Twitter: [Belfast] : [UofM] : [UofM Hockey]
Tweets: [Belfast Sunday Highlights]
EIHL Game Stories: [Saturday] : [Sunday]
Video: [Facebook - Sunday] : [Facebook - Saturday] : [YouTube]

The Bisons finished their UK tour with a sub-standard 1-3-0 record. However, with just 17 players on the trip, and loads of rookies amongst those, perhaps nothing better could be expected. Goal scorers were Liam Bilton, Brett Stovin, and then a pair by Kamerin Nault. Dasan Sydora was in goal. The 17 Bisons on tour will now come home to practice with the 10-15 others trying out for the team. Hopefully the training camp roster will soon be posted.

180826-_Bisons-_Belfast-_Doerksen.jpg

180826-_Bisons-_Belfast-_Doerksen-_Sydora-_Dwyer.jpg

180826-_Bisons-_Belfast-_Zajac.jpg

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

UQTR-50x50.jpg
Angers_Ducs-50x50.jpg

U.Q.T.R. PATRIOTES 0
ANGERS LES DUCS 2

Links:
Tweets (Google Translate): [UQTR/Angers] : [Amiens/Cergy]
Facebook: [Jokers]

This was the afternoon game, and the win assured Angers of the tournament title. In the finale, the host Jokers won for the first time, 4-3 in a shoot-out over Amiens. Amiens finished 2nd, UQTR 3rd, and the Jokers were 4th.

NEXT UP

Aug 29 U.Q.T.R. at TBA (France)
Aug 31 to Sep 02 - no games

Sep 07 Alberta v U.B.C. (in Penticton)
Sep 07 MacEwan (ACAC) at Calgary
Sep 07 Red Deer (ACAC) at Lethbridge
Sep 08 Alberta v U.B.C. (in Penticton)
Sep 08 Calgary at MacEwan (ACAC)
Sep 08 Red Deer (ACAC) at Lethbridge

FOR THE BISONS:

Sep 14 Manitoba v S.A.I.T. (in Regina)
Sep 15 Manitoba v Saskatchewan (in Regina)
Sep 22 Regina at Manitoba

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.png
Aug 28: SCHEDULE UPDATES

No new schedules from CW, or even USports. But there are games from the ACAC and BCIHL which affect the CW.

Alberta Colleges Athletic Conference

There are quite a few new additions to the ACAC schedule. The games affecting the CW were previously announced with the exception of the latest addition for the Evil Monkeys, and their trip to Athabasca. Here's the whole deal:

Sep 07 MacEwan at Calgary
Sep 07 Red Deer College at Lethbridge
Sep 08 Red Deer College at Lethbridge
Sep 08 Calgary at MacEwan

Sep 11 MacEwan/N.A.I.T. v Edmonton Oilers Rookies
Sep 12 Portage College at Augustana
Sep 14 Portage College at Concordia Edmonton
Sep 14 Briercrest College at Minot State
Sep 14 N.A.I.T. at U.B.C.
Sep 15 N.A.I.T. at U.B.C.

Sep 15 Briercrest College at Minot State
Sep 15 Concordia Edmonton at Portage College
Sep 21 Williston State at Briercrest College
Sep 21 Augustana v Alberta @ Athabasca
Sep 21 Red Deer College at S.A.I.T.
Sep 22 Williston State at Briercrest College
Sep 22 S.A.I.T. at Red Deer College
Sep 22 MacEwan v N.A.I.T. @ Athabasca
Sep 23 Augustana v MacEwan @ Calling Lake
Sep 23 Alberta v N.A.I.T. @ Athabasca
Sep 26 Red Deer College at Lacombe Generals
Sep 28 Augustana v Red Deer College @ Lacombe
Sep 28 MacEwan at Concordia Edmonton
Sep 28 Portage College at Briercrest College
Sep 29 Portage College at Briercrest College
Sep 29 N.A.I.T. at MacEwan
Sep 29 Augustana v Stony Plain Eagles @ Lacombe
Sep 30 Concordia Edmonton at N.A.I.T.

NOTE: S.A.I.T. is also in the Regina tournament Sep 14-15.

The BCIHL schedule has no pre-season games listed, but two team schedules are up. Those contain no new games involving USports teams:

2018-19 Spartans Men's Hockey Schedule

Sep 15 Simon Fraser at Trinity Western (Captains Cup)
Sep 22 Trinity Western at U.B.C. (Captains Cup)
Sep 29 Trinity Western at Victoria

2018-19 UVic Vikes Season Schedule • University of Victoria Vikes Hockey

Sep 21 Victoria at Trinity Western

Hmmm, those schedules don't exactly jibe.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
hey Holly
seems the British Elite league is getting stronger every year.
Any word on what the the heck is going on in Lethbridge. According to your preseason sked they play exhibition games next week. Yikes!!

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
hey Holly
seems the British Elite league is getting stronger every year.
Any word on what the the heck is going on in Lethbridge. According to your preseason sked they play exhibition games next week. Yikes!!
Next weekend is the start for three series, Alberta v U.B.C. (in Penticton), MacEwan (ACAC) v Calgary (home and home), and Red Deer (ACAC) at Lethbridge. So not unusual for them. The Bisons also had just 17 players make the trip, 9 forwards, 6 defencemen, and 2 goaltenders. They won't have a line-up that week all year (I hope).

This was the tour roster:
#3 Sean Christensen
#4 Kamerin Nault
#8 Liam Bilton
#10 Devon Skoleski
#11 Mitchell Dyck
#12 Nick Zajac
#15 Keaton Jameson
#21 Brett Brooks
#22 Jeremy Leipsic
#23 MacKenzie Dwyer
#24 Thomas Lenchyshyn
#25 Lucas Skrumeda
#26 Matt Leblanc
#27 Carter Doerksen
#28 Brett Stovin
#34 Dasan Sydora
#35 Bryan Spriggs

Here's a roster synopsis, as we await a roster page being uploaded:

Goal (4)

Eligible to return:
1 Justin Paulic
34 Dasan Sydora
35 Byron Spriggs

Recruits:
- Tyler Brown

Graduates:
none

Defence (9)

Eligible to return:
2 Adam Henry
3 Sean Christensen
9 Austin Douglas
11 Victor Sharonov
25 Lukas Skrumeda

Recruits:
11 Mitch Dyck
23 Mackenzie Dwyer
24 Thomas Lenchyshyn (D/F)
27 Carter Doerksen

Graduates:
4 Channing Bresciani
16 Blake Heinrich

Forwards (17)

Eligible to return:
8 Liam Bilton
12 Nick Zajac

13 Remi Laurencelle
4/14 Kamerin Nault
15 Shawn Bowles
18 Michael St. Croix
19 Calvin Spencer
20 Geordie Keane
21 Brett Brooks
22 Brad Bowles
27 Zach Franko
28 Brett Stovin
29 Jonah Wasylak

Recruits:
10 Devon Skoleski
15 Keaton Jameson
22 Jeremey Leipsic
26 Matt Leblanc

Graduates:
17 Warren Callis
23 Joel Schreyer
24 Justin Augert
26 Quintin Lisoway

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.png
Aug 30: SOME LATE NEWS AS WE HEAD INTO LABOUR DAY

CW-2017-_Manitoba-50x50.jpg
Manitoba-50px.gif

Is this a recruiting announcement? Or nothing more than a back-to-school notice?

Drea Esposito - Calgary Hitmen (WHL) - D

The links say Esposito "retired" to cash in his scholarship and go to the U of M. So will he be on the team? He is a 6'4" 190 lbs. d-man. In two WHL seasons he has just the one goal, so D must be his thing. He doesn't turn 19 until January, and had an overage season he could have used.

Links:
► [Dub Network: Leslie and Esposito join Popowich in retirement; Hodson signs with Victoria]
► [Calgary Hitmen on Twitter]
► [Elite Prospects: Drea Esposito]

Drea_Esposito-_Hitmen.jpg

CW-2017-_Lethbridge-50x50.jpg
Lethbridge-50x50.jpg

The Horny Ones appeared to be in trouble when their coach quit at the last minute. But it looks like they caught a break by signing Murray Nystrom. He coached the Brock Badgers (OUA) for 18 years and even got them to the U-Cup in 2008. Once could say he's an upgrade from Spiros Anastas.

Links:
► [CW: Former Brock coach Nystrom set to lead Pronghorns]
► [Lethbridge News Now: Experienced bench boss Murray Nystrom tapped to lead Pronghorns men’s hockey team]

CUSN-2017-50x50.jpg
UBC-wo-birds-50x50.jpg
Lakehead-2017-50x50.jpg

The CUSN had a new Tuesday Morning Skate this week, with news around all four conferences. Included was a take on this week's Bison news.

There were also announcements from UBC and Lakehead this week.

UBC landed Quentin Greenwood, a winger from the Old Grizzlys of the AJHL.

In Thunder Bay, the assistant coaches were announced to be Andrew Fernandez, Jason Firth, and Murray Magill.

Links:
► [Tuesday Morning Skate: August 27th, 2018]
► [UBC: ‘Birds add two-way forward Quentin Greenwood]
► [NNL: Thunderwolves Hockey – Wilkins announces coaching staff]

CWFan1963

Jan 29, 2018
holly what give you the idea that this could be an upgrade. Anastas at his young age has done a lot more than Nystrom has. compare the two and ask which is more elite. met the young man in Calgary and he was in a tough spot in leth. dont expect an oldhead to even match what that young man did there. he brought parity to the league and know as a fact all CW coaches would say the same. made as good of a chicken salad as he could.

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
holly what give you the idea that this could be an upgrade. Anastas at his young age has done a lot more than Nystrom has. compare the two and ask which is more elite. met the young man in Calgary and he was in a tough spot in leth. dont expect an oldhead to even match what that young man did there. he brought parity to the league and know as a fact all CW coaches would say the same. made as good of a chicken salad as he could.
PARDON

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
chicken is the only sensible word you used CWF. The guy came in with no at bats as a head coach anywhere....left with a 7th place finish. The guy might just be a professional magician?
The CIS or USPORTS deserves better.

CWFan1963

Jan 29, 2018
mike you are quite judgemental of a young man you dont know in a situation you dont know about. it was his first head coach job yes but he took a team that was having 2 and 4 win seasons and at least got them to 5, 11, 11, and 9 win seasons. four years is a short time so a improvement in my book. you dont know the half of what he faced and the kind of first class person he was to shoulder it all there. he was always polite and hardworking. ahl, top tier us college and international experience for someone not 35 yet. mike give the kid a bit of a break. he left for more money, better job in pro and a winning team. you wouldn’t do same?

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
mike you are quite judgemental of a young man you dont know in a situation you dont know about. it was his first head coach job yes but he took a team that was having 2 and 4 win seasons and at least got them to 5, 11, 11, and 9 win seasons. four years is a short time so a improvement in my book. you dont know the half of what he faced and the kind of first class person he was to shoulder it all there. he was always polite and hardworking. ahl, top tier us college and international experience for someone not 35 yet. mike give the kid a bit of a break. he left for more money, better job in pro and a winning team. you wouldn’t do same?

mikeandI

Jun 30, 2010
Hey your right what do I know, I just follow the Jets and the Bison a bit.
Wasn't trying to judge.
It is just that guys around here leave with the cupboards half full.
He left that U of L program in a tough spot IMO.
Heck their Athletics program has a few issues they wish they didn't?? I wish the new guy all the best because it looks like he is going to need it.

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013

Here's wishing Anastas nothing but the best in his new gig. The coaching fraternity is smaller and tighter than most people realize, and the respect he earns at this stage of his career can pay dividends down the road. I’m sure he realizes this. He has a long future ahead of him.

You are being a bit unfair in your assessment of new head Coach Nystrom.

As a player, he was a captain wherever he played — London Knights, University of New Brunswick, to name just two. Acting head coach of the Canadian National team, also a one-time central Canada scout for Hockey Canada. Highly, highly respected hockey man who has received coach of the year awards from his peers, who are fellow coaches, several times. And while he did lead Brock to the nationals once, don’t forget that the Badgers team that won its way there just a few months ago was one built almost completely by Nystrom.

The student-athletes will appreciate his upbeat attitude and they will grow to trust that he is a man who has devoted 2 decades of his life to helping student athletes reach their goals as athletes and society’s expectations as citizens. He’s a first class coach and a world class human being, someone I would without hesitation trust to guide my own children through post-secondary life.

Here’s a good read about Coach Nystrom:

ACADEMICS FUEL SUCCESSFUL COACHING CAREER FOR NYSTROM

Last edited:

CWFan1963

Jan 29, 2018
bruce I love your post. you are right I was probably inaccurate of my assessment of Nystrom. I think what I meant was that hes walking into a tough situation and it seemed as if Anastas was going to be the scapegoat for it. Anastas is one hell of a coach and I am sure Nystrom is too. Anastas is different than Nystrom but both good in their own way. Anastas is a guy we see in the NHL one day where Nystrom has shaped the lives of so many young men. since I met and knew Anastas I was triggered by the upgrade comment as I wouldnt tag it as that but I should not have downplayed Nystrom’s abilities. I think who really needs to be questioned and scrutinized is lethbridge and what they are doing there. I have heard horror stories. I wish for the best for Nystrom because as mike pointed out he’s going to need it

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.png
Sept 5: LIMITED ROSTER NEWS

CW-2017-_Manitoba-50x50.jpg
Manitoba-50px.gif

The roster pages throughout the league are stuck on 2017-18. By now we should have learned of any recruits of significance. Usually, news travels when a player has left to sign a pro contract. However, players who have departed for other reasons are not known until we see roster pages.

The Bison site has a WHL recruiting story. They have recruited goaltender Tyler Brown from the WHL, but he is in rehab and won't start the season. The other links are for team roster pages which are sure to be updated now that players should have reported to classes.

Links:
► [WHL powers CW: Sirant eyes Manitoban talent to take Bisons to next level]
► [Alberta Roster]
► [Calgary Roster]
► [Lethbridge Roster]
► [Manitoba Roster]
► [Mount Royal Roster]
► [Regina Roster]
► [Saskatchewan Roster]
► [UBC Roster]

BCIHL-2017-50x50.jpg
Mount-_Royal-2017-50x50.jpg
Minnesota_State_Mankato-50x50.jpg
Brock-50x50.jpg

In scheduling news:

- The BCIHL has added an exhibition game component to the schedule, which includes just 6 games.
Sep 15 Simon Fraser at Trinity Western
Sep 15 Victoria at Vancouver Island
Sep 21 Simon Fraser at U.B.C.
Sep 22 Trinity Western at U.B.C.
Sep 28 Simon Fraser at Anchorage (NCAA)
Sep 28 Simon Fraser at Fairbanks (NCAA) (?)

- That oddity on the MRU Schedule which has them going to the States on two separate weekends would seem to be (as suspected) in error. Minnesota State says their game with MRU is on Oct 6th.

- Brock has their schedule in 2018-19 at long last, but it is missing the pre-season. That leaves Concordia and Nipissing battling for Laggard-of-the-Year.

Links:
► [BCIHL Schedule]
► [Minnesota State Schedule]
► [Brock Schedule]

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.png
Sept 6: MRU BOLSTERS ROSTER

I have two links today, one about MRU's recruiting class and the other with more pre-season games for the BCIHL, plus some Twitter feeds pertaining to the weekend games.

Mount-_Royal-2017-50x50.jpg

The Bluegars landed quite a crop of WHL recruits, after being almost shut-out a year ago. The players are:

- Colton Bobyk (D) - Red Deer Rebels
- Tyson Helgesen (D) - Spokane Chiefs
- Keegan Iverson (F) - Portland Winterhawks
- Kade Jensen (D) - Victoria Royals
- Colton Kroeker (F) - Kootenay Ice

Three major junior defencemen in one season is quite a haul.

BCIHL-2017-50x50.jpg

The BCIHL schedule has added two games, neither of which involves a CW team:

Sep 21 Selkirk College at Victoria
Sep 22 Selkirk College at Vancouver Island

Alberta-50x50.jpg
UBC-head-_L-50x50.jpg
Macewan-nowords-white-50x50.jpg
Calgary-2013-50x50_L.jpg
Red_Deer-50x50.jpg
Lethbridge-head-_L-50x50.jpg

The first puck drop in North America takes place this weekend, with three series out west involving four CW teams and two ACAC teams. I have linked to the team Twitters because that's probably going to be the best place to find results. Here's the schedule:

Sep 07 Alberta v U.B.C. (in Penticton)
Sep 07 MacEwan (ACAC) at Calgary
Sep 07 Red Deer (ACAC) at Lethbridge

Links:
► [Large crop of WHL recruits headed to MRU]
► [BCIHL Schedule]
► [Alberta Twitter] : [UBC Twitter]
► [Calgary Twitter] : [MacEwan Twitter]
► [Lethbridge Twitter] : [ACAC Twitter]

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.png
Sept 7: NO UPSETS ON OPENING NIGHT

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

The Bisons have the weekend off, which is not surprising following their trip to the British Isles. None of the teams out east will start until next week. This week's best source for scores and updates will be Twitter. Also, none of the teams has a 2018-19 roster page uploaded. Here's what happened on Friday, September 7, 2018:

Alberta-green-50x50.jpg
UBC-letters-50x50.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 5
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 2

Links:
Alberta: [Twitter] : [Schedule & Results]
UBC: [Twitter] : [Schedule & Results]

Twitter was about the only source for updates, as is often the case in the pre-season. It sounds like the Evil Monkeys handled the T-irds quite easily. This series is being played in Penticton, as part of the "Young Stars Classic" with Vancouver Canucks and Winnipeg Jets rookies. There are no games scheduled between NHL and CW teams.

Macewan-nowords-white-50x50.jpg
Calgary-pre-2012-hockey-50x50.jpg

MACEWAN GRIFFINS 2
CALGARY DINOSAURS 6

Links:
Calgary: [Twitter] : [Schedule & Results]
Calgary: [Dinos add five WHL alums looking to continue surge]
MacEwan: [Series Preview] : [Schedule & Results]
ACAC: [Schedule & Results]

According to the string of tweets, this was scoreless until late in the 2nd when the Dinos took a 2-1 lead. In the process, they enjoyed a 26-12 edge in shots on goal. Presumably that 3rd period must have been quite dominating as Bedrock U outscored the Griffins 4-1 in the period. This one was held in the Town of Bedrock, and Saturday's rematch will be in Edmontown.

The Dinos also have a recruiting announcement, available in the links. They have now confirmed five recruits from the WHL. They have two defencemen coming, and three forwards.

James Shearer (D) - Brandon Wheat Kings (WHL)
Jordan Henderson (D) - Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
Graham Black (F) - Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
Regan Nagy (F) - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL)
Cal Babych (F) - Everett Silvertips (WHL)

Red_Deer-50x50.jpg
Lethbridge-old-50x50.jpg

RED DEER COLLEGE KINGS 2
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4

Links:
Lethbridge: [Twitter] : [Schedule & Results]
Red Deer: [Schedule & Results]

Not much can be gathered on this one. Lethbridge has been through some turmoil so any sort of a win must be a great relief. The Horny Ones held period leads of 2-1 and 3-2.

NEXT UP

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.gif
Sept 8: T-IRDS GET THE SPLIT

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Alberta-hockey-50x50.jpg
UBC-old-50x50.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 2
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 3

In a shootout.

Links:
Alberta: [Twitter] : [Linescore]
UBC: [Twitter] : [Schedule & Results]
UBC: [Friday Story] : [Saturday Story]

Once again, Twitter was the best source but at least UBC posted stories for each game, and those are linked. UBC also has a new jersey design with a blue bar on the white jersey.

180908-_UBC-_Alberta.jpg

Calgary-red-50x50.jpg
Macewan-nowords-black-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 9
MACEWAN GRIFFINS 0

Links:
Calgary: [Twitter] : [Schedule & Results]
MacEwan: [Schedule & Results]
ACAC: [Schedule & Results]

The Griffins won the ACAC last year but were whipped here. Since NAIT is usually quite good, these weekend scores either indicates that Bedrock U is awesome or the Griffins really are nothing more than a myth.

Red_Deer-rdc-50x50.jpg
Lethbridge-_UL-50x50.jpg

RED DEER COLLEGE KINGS 3
LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 5

Links:
Lethbridge: [Twitter] : [Schedule & Results]
Red Deer: [Schedule & Results]
ACAC: [Twitter]

This was tied 2-2 after two periods, so Red Deer were not too intimidated. Hopefully Lethbridge is not going to be too disorganized to start the year after a late coaching change. So far, so good.

NEXT UP

Weekend series:
Sep 14 N.A.I.T. (ACAC) at U.B.C.
Sep 15 N.A.I.T. (ACAC) at U.B.C.

Brick Invitational:
Sep 13 Mount Royal at Calgary
Sep 14 Calgary at Alberta
Sep 15 Mount Royal at Alberta

Regina Tournament:
Sep 14 Manitoba v S.A.I.T. (?) (in Regina)
Sep 14 Saskatchewan at Regina
Sep 15 S.A.I.T. (ACAC) at Regina

Last edited:

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
This from Findlay on Twitter: Michael St. Croix will not be returning to the Manitoba Bisons for another season. That's a crushing loss for Manitoba who lose their #1 point getter from last season. 35 PTS in 28 games is tough to replace on any team.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Massive loss for Manitoba...especially considering their recruit class is underwhelming IMO. I see them clearly behind Alberta/Sask/Mount Royal/Calgary and battling UBC for 5th this season.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.gif
Preview: SEPT 13-16: BISONS AT REGINA TOURNAMENT

Manitoba-50px.gif
SAIT-2018-nowords-50x50.jpg
Regina-old-bars-50x50.jpg
Sask-hockey-50x50.jpg

MANITOBA BISONS (1-3-0)
S.A.I.T. TROJANS (0-0-0)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (0-0-0)
REGINA COUGARS (0-0-0)

This is the first weekend of a national exhibition hockey weekend across USports. The Herd suffers the indignity of a trip to Banjoland, where they will face the SAIT Condoms and the Banjo Mutts from Saskatown. Here's the schedule:

Sep 14 Manitoba v S.A.I.T. (ACAC) - 5:00 CST/6:00 CDT
Sep 14 Saskatchewan at Regina - 8:00 CST/9:00 CDT
Sep 15 S.A.I.T. (ACAC) at Regina - 12:00 CST
Sep 15 Manitoba v Saskatchewan - 3:30 CST/4:30 CDT

The Bison roster page is still in 2017-18. In fact, Calgary and Regina are the only teams in the league with a 2018-19 roster page. That may change by the end of Friday.

No teams have posted a weekend preview as I post.

Sask has a story posted from the "WHL Powers the CW" series, as all the teams are doing one by one. Their WHL recruits are announced, but their non-WHL recruits are not. Those come from Elite Prospects, for now. Here's the list:

- Gordie Ballhorn (D) - Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
- Travis Child (G) - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)
- Shane Collins (D) - Prince George Cougars (WHL) / London Knights (OHL)
- Evan Fiala (D) - Saskatoon Blades (WHL)
- Donovan Neuls (F) - Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL)
- Kendall Fransoo (D) - Wilkie Outlaws (SWHL)
- Dakota Boutin (F) - Penticton Vees (BCJHL)

There is no news from the Bisons, except a tweet from Victor Findlay stating that leading scorer Michael St. Croix will not be returning.

Links:
► [Regina Roster Page]
► [Prairie pride bolsters Saskatchewan roster]
► [SAIT Schedule & Results]
► [Manitoba Roster]
► [Regina Schedule & Results]

ELSEWHERE

Mount_Royal-2017-right-50x50.jpg
Calgary-_UC-50x50-silver.jpg
Alberta-_UA-_lines-50x50.jpg

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS (0-0-0)
CALGARY DINOSAURS (2-0-0)
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (1-0-1)

Links:
► [MRU Schedule & Results]
► [Alberta Schedule & Results]
► [Calgary Schedule & Results]
► [Calgary Roster]

This is Edmontown's annual Brick Invitational. It used to be the weekend after Regina's tournament, and always had at least 4 teams. Here's the schedule:

Sep 13 Mount Royal at Calgary
Sep 14 Calgary at Alberta

UBC-blue-50x50.jpg
NAIT-50x50.jpg

U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (1-1-0)
N.A.I.T. OOKS (0-0-0)

Links:
► [NAIT Schedule & Results]
► [Oilers rookies get revenge for 2017 loss with 9-1 win but NAIT-MacEwan All-Stars relish experience]
► [T-Birds reflect on Young Stars experience]
► [UBC Schedule & Results]

This is a traditional Friday-Saturday double-header to be played in British California. NAIT joined up with MacEwan to lose 9-1 to the Edmonton Oilers. (That same melange defeated the Greasers a year ago.) The T-irds are coming off a split against the Monkeys, which included a game two shoot-out win.

OTHER NEWS

Lethrbidge-blue-nowords-50x50.jpg

Lethbridge is on a bye week for some reason, after having started play last weekend. But they posted their "WHL Powers the CW" series article. Their WHL recruits are:

- Jordan Roy (F) - Red Deer Rebels
- Taz Burman (G) - Swift Current Broncos

Links:
► [Nystrom, Pronghorns focused on positivity as U Cup approaches]
► [Breakin News 'N Crackin Brews: Ep. 11]

OUT EAST

Sep 13 Brock at Waterloo
Sep 13 Laurier at Western Ontario
Sep 14 Carleton at Toronto
Sep 14 Moncton at U.P.E.I.
Sep 14 McGill at New Brunswick
Sep 14 Ottawa at Ryerson
Sep 14 Saint Mary's at Dalhousie
Sep 15 Carleton at Ryerson
Sep 15 McGill at New Brunswick
Sep 15 Ottawa at Toronto
Sep 15 Queen's v R.M.C. (in Gananoque ON)
Sep 15 U.Q.T.R. at Concordia
Sep 15 Western Ontario at U.O.I.T.
Sep 16 Moncton at Dalhousie

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.png
Sept 14: HERD PICKS UP ROAD WIN

REGINA TOURNAMENT

Manitoba-80s-sunlasses-white-50x50.png
SAIT-_Trojan-50x50.jpg

MANITOBA BISONS 2
S.A.I.T. TROJANS 1

Links:
Manitoba: [S&R] : [Twitter]
SAIT: [S&R] : [Twitter]

Sask-white-50x50.jpg
Regina-_R-50x50.jpg

SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 4
REGINA COUGARS 0

Links:
Sask: [S&R] : [Twitter]
Regina: [S&R] : [Twitter]

This was the opening night of the Regina Tournament. There isn't much news about these game out there. The SAIT Twitter had a blurb and all teams' S&R pages have a score without a link, at least as I post.

So both Bison wins so far have been 2-1 games, and they are now 2-3-0 in the pre-season. It would be nice if someone in Regina tweeted out a picture of the lineup cards.

On Saturday, it will be S.A.I.T. v Regina at 1:00 CDT and Manitoba v Saskatchewan at 4:30 CDT.

BRICK INVITATIONAL

Calgary-pre-2012-50x50.jpg
Mount-_Royal-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 6
MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 4

Links:
Calgary: [S&R] : [Twitter]
MRU: [S&R] : [Twitter]

Calgary-_UC-50x50.jpg
Alberta-_UA-yellow3-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 1
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 0

Links:
Alberta: [S&R] : [Twitter]

The first game was played Thursday in Cowtown and the second was Friday in Edmontown. The two wins give Bedrock U the tournament title, and a 4-0-0 record in pre-season. It's Yabba Dabba Doo time. The Evil Monkeys are now on a two game losing streak! MRU and Alberta will fight it out for second place on Saturday.

Here's the Dino tweet:
Regan Nagy with the lone goal at 15:00 of the 3rd, Papirny with the 38-save shutout tonight at the Brick tournament in Edmonton!

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

NAIT-_N-50x50.jpg
UBC-letters-50x50.jpg

N.A.I.T. OOKS 2
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 3

(in double overtime)

Links:
UBC: [Boxscore] : [Twitter]
NAIT: [S&R] : [Twitter]

The T-irds are now 2-1-0, with both victories coming in extra time. It could be that kind of year for them. Nice of them to post a boxscore. Other CW teams should take note.

OUT EAST

Sep 13 Brock 0 Waterloo 2 : [UW S&R]
Sep 13 Laurier 1 Western Ontario 3 : [WLU S&R]
Sep 14 Carleton 2 Toronto 3 (so) : [UT Recap]
Sep 14 Moncton 3 U.P.E.I. 1 : [PEI Boxscore]
Sep 14 McGill 4 New Brunswick 5 (ot) : [UNB Story] : [UNB Boxscore] : [McG Story] : [McG Boxscore]
Sep 14 Ottawa 3 Ryerson 4 (ot) : [RU S&R]
Sep 14 Saint Mary's 8 Dalhousie 1 : [DU Boxscore]

NEXT UP

Sep 15 Carleton at Ryerson
Sep 15 McGill at New Brunswick
Sep 15 N.A.I.T. (ACAC) at U.B.C.
Sep 15 Ottawa at Toronto
Sep 15 Queen's v R.M.C. (in Gananoque ON)
Sep 15 S.A.I.T. (ACAC) at Regina
Sep 15 U.Q.T.R. at Concordia
Sep 15 Western Ontario at U.O.I.T.

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.gif
Sept 15: BISONS LOSE, SPLIT WEEKEND

REGINA TOURNAMENT

Manitoba-script-brown-50x50.jpg
Sask-hockey-50x50.jpg

MANITOBA BISONS 1
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 4

Links:
Manitoba: [S&R] : [Twitter]
Sask: [S&R] : [Twitter*]
Ottawa Citizen: [Big-time departures]

SAIT-circle-50x50.jpg
Regina-old-50x50.jpg

S.A.I.T. TROJANS 3
REGINA COUGARS 7

Links:
SAIT: [S&R] : [Twitter*]
Regina: [S&R] : [Twitter*]

Time to bring back the asterisk for links that are missing as I post but may show up later when you read. There were no game stories nor boxscores/summaries posted for either game. Only the Manitoba Twitter had a tweet. In any event, I guess if medals were being awarded, the Mutts claimed gold, the Bisons settled for silver, and the Kittens got a bronze. The Condoms got nothing but experience.

Without any other teams posting even a tweet, here's a photo of everything I could obtain:
180915-_Bison-tweets.jpg

So returning Zach Franko and rookie Devon Skoleski paced the scoring for the Bisons this weekend. Rookies also did very well on the scoring in the UK tour as well.

Next weekend, the Bisons have just the one game, that being a Saturday matinee against Regina. The week will start with York's sad commemorative tour of Saskatchewan.

Oddly, the above-linked story from the Ottawa Citizen is their story on Sask's recruiting. I have no idea why such a story would be printed there.

BRICK INVITATIONAL

MRU-1970-50x50.jpg
Alberta-_A-50x50.jpg

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 3
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 7

Links:
Alberta: [Linescore] : [Twitter]
Boxscore: [CW]

Good to see that the Apes uploaded boxscores to the CW site, joining UBC. The win gives the Evil Monkeys 2nd place in the 3-team tournament. Here's the last of a string of tweets from the evening:
With a depleted line up the boys get it done tonight. Final score 7-3. @bmagee18 with a heck of a night gets the star for the Bears and Watson for the Cougars. Off to Athabasca next weekend for games against @UofA_AugVikings & @NAITMensHockey
Alberta's site has yet to add their Athabasca exhibition games to their posted schedule. MRU acknowledges that they face the Dinos, and not Minnesota State, on Wednesday. However, their official schedule has yet to make the correction.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

NAIT-gold-50x50.jpg
UBC-old-50x50.jpg

N.A.I.T. OOKS 1
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 4

Links:
Boxscore: [UBC] : [CW]
UBC Game Story: [‘Birds down Ooks for third straight preseason win]
Twitter: [UBC] : [NAIT]

This win gave UBC a sweep of the weekend series, and gave the CW a record of 8-0-0 against ACAC teams this pre-season. UBC out-shot MRU 36-23. Patrick Dea got the win, and four different Birds scored goals.

OUT EAST

Sep 15 Carleton 3 Ryerson 5 : [RU S&R]
Sep 15 McGill 2 New Brunswick 3 (ot) : [UNB Game Story] : [UNB Boxscore] : [McGill Game Story] : [McGill Boxscore]
Sep 15 Ottawa 5 Toronto 3 : [UofT Game Story]
Sep 15 Queen's 6 R.M.C. 0 : [QU Game Story]
Sep 15 U.Q.T.R. 1 Concordia 4 : [CU S&R]
Sep 15 Western Ontario 2 U.O.I.T. 3 : [UOIT Game Story]

NEXT UP

Sep 18 Moncton at St. F.X.
Sep 19 Brock at Western Ontario
Sep 19 Laurier v Guelph (in Port Dover)
Sep 19 Mount Royal at Calgary
Sep 19 Saint Mary's v U.P.E.I. (in Truro)
Sep 20 York v Regina (in Lumsden)
Sep 21 Alberta v Augustana (ACAC) (in Athabasca)
Sep 21 Calgary v York (in Humboldt)
Sep 21 Guelph at Brock
Sep 21 Laurier at U.O.I.T.
Sep 21 Lethbridge at Lakehead
Sep 21 New Brunswick at Ryerson
Sep 21 St. F.X. at U.Q.T.R.
Sep 21 Simon Fraser (BCIHL) at U.B.C.
Sep 21 Toronto at R.M.C.
Sep 21 Waterloo at Western Ontario
Sep 21 Windsor at Carleton
Sep 21 York v Calgary (in Humboldt)

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.gif
Preview: Sept 21-23: REGINA AT MANITOBA

Regina-box-logoc-50x50.gif
Manitoba-box-head-_L-50x50.jpg

REGINA COUGARS (2-1-0)
MANITOBA BISONS (2-4-0)

Sep 22 3:00 CDT at The Wayne Fleming Arena

Live Links:
► None.

Manitoba Links:
► GoBisons: [Weekend Preview (all sports)] ∞ [Roster Page]
► Social: [Twitter] ∞ [Facebook] ∞ [Video Tweet 18-09-18]
► CW: [Stats*] ∞ [Schedule/Results/Links*]
► LeagueStat: [Stats*] ∞ [Schedule/Results/Links*]

Regina Links:
► Team: [Team Site] ∞ [Roster Page]
► Social: [Twitter] ∞ [Facebook]

Other Links:
► [USports] ∞ [US Schedule/Links*]
► [US Standings]
► [CW Site] ∞ [CW Schedule*]
► [CW Stats] ∞ [Media Access]
► [CUSN TMS September 11th, 2018]

* link not yet active for 2018-19

This was cut back from two games to one in order to allow the Banjo Cats to play York on their tour in memory of Mark Cross, their former player who went in to coaching only to perish in the Humboldt tragedy.

The Bison roster page has been updated. Several new rookies are listed, who were not included in the recruiting announcements. I'll need to do some profiles on them. In all, there are 12 new recruits. The odd thing is that the team is low on numbers. Although bursting with four goaltenders, they have just 21 skaters.

Here's the roster to date:

Goaltenders
1 Justin Paulic
30 Tyler Brown R
34 Dasan Sydora
35 Byron Spriggs

Defence
2 Adam Henry
3 Sean Christensen
11 Mitchell Dyck R
23 Mackenzie Dwyer R
24 Thomas Lenchyschyn R
25 Lucas Skrumeda
27 Carter Doerksen R

Forwards
4 Kamerin Nault
8 Liam Bilton
9 Zach Franko
10 Devon Skoleski R
12 Nick Zajac
14 Thomas Freeman R
15 Keaton Jameson R
16 Dawson Martin R
18 Garrett Armour R
21 Brett Brooks
22 Jeremey Leipsic R
26 Matthew Leblanc R
28 Brett Stovin
29 Jonah Wasylak

Those eligible to return but nevertheless departed include:

Defencemen
9 Douglas
11 Sharonov
16 Heinrich

Forwards
13 Laurencelle
15 S Bowles
18 St. Croix
19 Spencer
20 Keane
22 B Bowles
26 Lisoway

Though most of those were frequent scratches, St. Croix was the leading scorer and Laurencelle was oft-injured but was the CW rookie-of-the-year two years ago. My guess is that there are a couple of bodies yet to be added.

R indicates rookie

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

There were two mid-week games for CW teams this week, followed by a pretty full slate of games to come on the weekend.

Mount_Royal-2017-right-50x50.jpg
Calgary-_UC-50x50-silver.jpg

MOUNT ROYAL COUGARS 4
CALGARY DINOSAURS 3

(in overtime)

Links:

The Bluegars hit the win column to go 1-2-0 in their final pre-season game. The Dinos move on to face York and Sask on the weekend. They are now 4-0-1 in the pre-season.

York-50x50.jpg
Regina-old-bars-50x50.jpg

YORK LIONS 2
REGINA COUGARS 3

(in overtime)

Links:
York: [S&R] : [Twitter]
Regina: [Game Story] : [Twitter]

This was the opener of York's memorial tour in honour of alumnus Mark Cross, one of the Humboldt victims. This game was played in his hometown, Lumsden, Sask. Regina is now 2-1-0 in pre-season. This was York's first game.

ELSEWHERE

York-2018-box-50x50.gif
Calgary-box-old-head-_L-50x50.gif
Sask-box-whitelogo-50x50.gif

YORK LIONS (0-1-0)
CALGARY DINOSAURS (4-0-1)
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (2-0-0)

This was not planned (I don't think) but over three days a de facto round-robin tournament is being played. Here's the schedule:

Sep 21 Calgary v York (in Humboldt)
Sep 22 Calgary at Saskatchewan
Sep 23 York at Saskatchewan

Simon_Fraser-_SFU-square-50x50.jpg
Trinity_Western-2010-blue-50x50.jpg
UBC-box-head-_L-50x50.jpg

SIMON FRASER CLAN (1-0-0)
TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS (0-0-1)
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS (3-1-0)

These games finish the "Captains' Cup" pre-season series. SFU already beat TWU 4-3 in overtime last weekend. Holy Trinity is a CW member, but do not compete in the hockey league. The Clown are floundering in the States in a conference without a hockey league. Here's the weekend schedule:

Sep 21 Simon Fraser (BCIHL) at U.B.C.
Sep 22 Trinity Western (BCIHL) at U.B.C.

Lethbridge-box-head-_R-50x50.jpg
Lakehead-box-50x50.gif

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS (2-0-0)
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVFES (0-0-0)

The U-Cup hosts will enter the regular season with no games against a CW opponent. They started with a sweep of Red Deer College and now it's off to Thunder Bay for a traditional weekend series.

Sep 21 Lethbridge at Lakehead
Sep 22 Lethbridge at Lakehead

Alberta-box-50x50.jpg
Augustana-box-50x50.jpg
NAIT-box-50x50.jpg

ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS (2-1-1)
UA AUGUSTANA VIKINGS (1-0-0)
N.A.I.T. OOKS (0-1-1)

The Evil Monkeys are taking part in the Athabasca Tournament. MacEwan is also taking part but not currently slated to play the Monkeys. Here's the schedule:

Sep 21 Augustana v Alberta
Sep 22 MacEwan v NAIT
Sep 23 Augustana v MacEwan
Sep 23 Alberta v N.A.I.T.

OUT EAST

Sep 16 Moncton 5 Dalhousie 3 : [Boxscore]
Sep 18 Moncton 2 St. F.X. 1 : [Boxscore]
Sep 19 Brock 1 Western Ontario 0 : [UWO S&R]
Sep 19 Laurier 3 Guelph 4 : [Game Story]
Sep 19 Saint Mary's 1 U.P.E.I. 3 : [UPEI S&R]

Sep 21 Guelph at Brock
Sep 21 Laurier at U.O.I.T.
Sep 21 New Brunswick at Ryerson
Sep 21 Queen's at Carleton *
Sep 21 St. F.X. at U.Q.T.R.
Sep 21 Toronto at R.M.C.
Sep 21 Waterloo at Western Ontario
Sep 21 Windsor at Carleton *
Sep 22 Concordia at U.Q.T.R.
Sep 22 Dalhousie at U.P.E.I.
Sep 22 New Brunswick at Ryerson
Sep 22 St. F.X. at Ottawa
Sep 22 Saint Mary's at Moncton
Sep 22 Toronto at Nipissing
Sep 22 Windsor at Carleton

Last edited:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.png
Sept 22: BISONS WIN CONVINCINGLY

Regina-_R-50x50.jpg
Manitoba-hockey-50x50.jpg

REGINA COUGARS 2
MANITOBA BISONS 5

Links:
Manitoba: [S&R] : [Twitter] : [Tweet]
Regina: [S&R] : [Twitter*]

It was nice to see my first live hockey of the season. Unfortunately, I never noticed the game time change from 3:00 to 2:00. So I missed two 1st period Bison goals. Since the Bisons wore jerseys with a black number on a brown background (the CW has a rule whereby the home team wears light/dark in alternating seasons now), and Regina had yellow numbers on a white background, it was hard to tell who was out there. Also, my pen ran out right away, forcing me to use my cell phone to make notes. This is the best I could figure.

MANITOBA BISONS

Goal
35 Spriggs (1 Paulic)

Defence
23 Dwyer 11 Dyck
25 Skrumeda 27 Doerksen
24 Lenchyschyn 3 Christensen

Forwards
9 Franko 28 Stovin 8 Bilton
18 Armour 16 Martin 14 Freeman
15 Jameson 21 Brooks 2 Henry
22 Leipsic 10 Skoleski 26 Leblanc

Scratches
4 Nault 12 Zajac 29 Wasylak
30 Brown 34 Sydora

REGINA COUGARS

Goal
30 Holtby 31 MacAuley

Defence
2 Hilsendager 5 Burns
22 Eisler 24 Hicks
27 Riddle 7 King

Forwards
12 Stevely 11 Odelein 29 Campbell
14 Coughlin 13 Frei (with various others)
8 Anderson 16 McPhee 17 Kosloski
20 Duperreault 10 Eskra 23 Miller

Scratches (one must have dressed)
4 Schacher 9 Chaulk 15 Lech
18 Adams 19 Marr 21 Kreklewich
25 Nagel 28 Peel 32 Zborosky
35 Herringer

Since I missed the first period, all I can say is the scorers from the 2nd and 3rd:

3-0 Garrett Armour - Top shelf over the glove on a one timer from Thomas Freeman.

4-0 Carter Doerksen - A tip-in on a cross-the-slot passing play.

5-0 Zach Franko - A replica of the 4-0 goal which went in as the prior goal was being announced.

5-1 Connor Odelin - A power-play goal broke the shut-out.

Penalty shot - Adam Henry was being used as a forward in this game and was hauled down on a break-away. Dawso9n MacAuley made the stop.

5-2 Tristan Frei - Another power-play goal when time was almost up.

The overall impression is that the Bisons have added a lot of quick, smaller forwards who made Regina run around. Let's see how they do as the competition will get better very quickly.

The defence was under almost no pressure. Spriggs had no more than two tough saves to make. Were they good, or does Regina lack offensive punch?

The Bisons are off to the Town of Bedrock next weekend, the to the Excited States after that. The next home action is October 12th and 13th against the Evil Monkeys.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

On Friday night, there were just four CW teams in action, one against the ACAC, one against the BCIHL, and two against OUA teams. The Saturday night games will be updated later.

Augustana-50x50.gif
Alberta-_UA-_lines-50x50.jpg

UA-AUGUSTANA VIKINGS 0
ALBERTA GOLDEN BEARS 10

Links:
ACAC: [S&R*]
Alberta: [Linescore*] : [Twitter] : [Tweet]
Recruiting news: [Miske and Pawlenchuk join Bears in quest for repeat]

This was part of the Athabasca Tournament, which also includes NAIT and MacEwan from the ACAC. Maybe one day Athabasca will have a team of their own. Not much is posted on this game, and that makes sense. The Monkeys aren't bragging, and their side-campus doesn't need to be shamed. The linked story is about their new WHL recruits. They only have two this year. That's all they need, due to a bumper crop of returnees.

Simon_Fraser-_SFU-hockey-red-50x50.jpg
UBC-blue-50x50.jpg

SIMON FRASER CLAN 1
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 4

Links:
Boxscore: [UBC] : [LeagueStat]
Game Story: [UBC]
Twitter: [UBC] : [Tweet]

This one is part of the "Captains' Cup" series. SFU beat Holy Trinity in the opener of the 3-team round-robin. UBC does a good job on media postings for pre-season games, treating it just like a regular season game. Good for them!

Calgary-pre-2012-hockey-50x50.jpg
York-Yeomen-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 8
YORK LIONS 1

Links:
Calgary: [S&R] : [Twitter] : [Tweet]
York: [Game Story]

York was crushed in this one, to go 0-2 on their romp through Banjoland. They have one game left to avoid a whitewash, against Sask.

Lethbridge-old-50x50.jpg
Lakehead-norwesters-leaf-colourized-50x50.jpg

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 4
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 5

Links:
Lethbridge: [S&R] : [Twitter]
Lakehead: [Game Story] : [Twitter] : [Tweet]

The Bisons haven't been to T-Bay in a while. At one time, it was a really tough road trip and the Wolves looked like they would be a powerhouse. Hasn't turned out that way, though. The Hǿrny Ǿnes rallied from down 5-2 to make it close. This was the OUA's first interlocking win of the season!

OUT EAST

Sep 21 Guelph 1 Brock 3 : [Game Story]
Sep 21 Laurier 2 U.O.I.T. 1 (ot) : [Game Story]
Sep 21 New Brunswick 3 Ryerson 0 : [Game Story]
Sep 21 St. F.X. 3 U.Q.T.R. 0 : [Game Story]
Sep 21 Toronto 3 R.M.C. 4 (ot) : [Game Story]
Sep 21 Waterloo 3 Western Ontario 4 : [UW S&R]
Sep 21 Windsor 1 Carleton 4 : [CU S&R]

NEXT UP

Sep 22 Calgary at Saskatchewan
Sep 22 Concordia at U.Q.T.R.
Sep 22 Dalhousie at U.P.E.I.
Sep 22 Lethbridge at Lakehead
Sep 22 New Brunswick at Ryerson
Sep 22 St. F.X. at Ottawa
Sep 22 Saint Mary's at Moncton
Sep 22 Trinity Western (BCIHL) at U.B.C.
Sep 22 Toronto at Nipissing
Sep 22 Windsor at Carleton
Sep 23 Alberta v N.A.I.T. (ACAC) (in Athabasca)

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
icon1.png
Sept 22: EVENING SCORES

With the Bisons playing a matinee, I did not have to wait for the other games to finish before posting. So here's what happened Saturday night.

OUT-OF-TOWN SCOREBOARD

Trinity_Westen-pre-2009-50x50.gif
UBC-old-50x50.jpg

TRINITY WESTERN SPARTANS 2
U.B.C. THUNDERBIRDS 6

Links:
Boxscore: [UBC] : [LeagueStat]
Game Story: [UBC*]
Twitter: [UBC]

This concluded the "Captains' Cup" series, in which UBC went 2-0, the SFU Clown went 1-1, and Holy Trinity pulled up the rear at 0-2. The Spartans were off to a 2-0 lead 2:20 into the 2nd period, but the T-irds stormed back to tie the game before the 2nd period ended then won going away. Shots were 30-20 on the night. I guess one could say of this series that the results were respectable for the BCIHL but their teams are still a ways away from being CW calibre. In all, UBC went 5-1-0 in pre-season after starting with a loss.

Calgary-_UC-50x50.jpg
Sask-white-50x50.jpg

CALGARY DINOSAURS 2
SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES 3

Links:
Calgary: [S&R] : [Twitter] : [Tweet]
Sask: [S&R] : [Twitter*]

All I know comes from the Dinos' Twitter. Sask scored two powerplay goals to tie and then win the game. Sask is now 3-0 in the pre-season, and finishes with what should be the final game at The Rutherdump on Sunday against York. Meanwhile, the Dinos return to the Town of Bedrock where they open the season next weekend against the Bisons.

Lethbridge-_UL-50x50.jpg
Lakehead-_Norwesters-mascot.jpg

LETHBRIDGE PRONGHORNS 5
LAKEHEAD THUNDERWOLVES 6

(In a shootout.)

Links:
Lethbridge: [S&R] : [Twitter]
Lakehead: [Game Story] : [Twitter] : [Tweet]

Lethbridge held a 5-3 lead in the 3rd period before blowing the lead and ultimately losing in overtime. The linked story from LU says this is their first pre-season sweep since 2010. Jeesh. In any event, two tight losses for the 'Horns leave them at 2-1-1 for the pre-season, albeit without having played a team from the CW.

OUT EAST

Sep 22 Concordia 7 U.Q.T.R. 10 : [CU S&R]
Sep 22 New Brunswick 3 Ryerson 4 : [RU S&R]
Sep 22 Dalhousie 2 U.P.E.I. 10 : [PEI Boxscore]
Sep 22 Saint Mary's 5 Moncton 4 : [SMU Boxscore]
Sep 22 St. F.X. 5 Ottawa 2 : [SFX Game Story]
Sep 22 Toronto 2 Nipissing 3 (so) : [UT S&R]
Sep 22 Windsor 1 Carleton 7 : [CU Tweet]

NEXT UP

Sep 23 Alberta v N.A.I.T. (ACAC) (in Athabasca)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->