Rask
Halak

Best candidates to grab a spot: Cehlarik, Fitzgerald, JFK, Zboril

Reactions: DKH

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
The never ending over evaluation of prospects amazes me. Donato and Bjork have proven nothing, Heinen was terrible from February on and if Kuraly is the third line C they better watch out for Florida.

All these line combination hypothesize do is point out what an awful off season Donnie Hockey has had, while his two main competitors have improved he continues to rely on over hyped prospects (that only he, many on this board and Pierre McGuire see as being deep and ready to contribute). I'm amazed I haven't seen Senyshyn on the top line in any of these scenarios so far, but this off season it appears to be Studnicka and Frederic as the flavors of the month.

Long time until the season starts, hopefully there will be more NHL talent in the lineup in October than is being currently projected.

He was? Do you honestly watch because comments like this make me seriously question. Or it's just your blind hate for players who don't meet your 'toughness' criteria that clouds your viewing.

While Heinen tailed off a bit at the end of the season, to say he was terrible is absolutely asinine. Also, if 0.42 PPG production is "terrible," which was his production from February to the end of the season, then a lot of 3rd liners in the NHL are 'terrible'. Hell, mentioning Boone Jenner in this same post is comical. He produced 0.43 PPG pace FOR THE SEASON. He produced LESS than Heinen did on the season.

Last edited:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He was? Do you honestly watch because comments like this make me seriously question. Or it's just your blind hate for players who don't meet your 'toughness' criteria that clouds your viewing.

While Heinen tailed off a bit at the end of the season, to say he was terrible is absolute asinine. Also, if 0.42 PPG production is "terrible," which was his production from February to the end of the season, then a lot of 3rd liners in the NHL are 'terrible'. Hell, mentioning Boone Jenner in this same post is comical. He produced 0.43 PPG pace FOR THE SEASON. He produced LESS than Heinen did on the season.

Yeah, but he’s physical...and stuff.

Heinen is Fenian’s new punching bag because he reminds him of Ericsson. He says he doesn’t dislike him, but then shits on him every chance he gets, despite a very good season as a rookie.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Yeah, but he’s physical...and stuff.

Tired of bad takes. We get it. Fenian24 doesn’t like rookies who haven’t proven much at the NHL level. (I’m sure if these guys were hitters, he’d have to carry a bucket around) but to lump Heinen in with this crew, he was silent about it during the season, is just stupid.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Heinen played fairly regularly at RW last year.

There is no way I see Cassidy going with that young a 3rd line? If Bjork is healthy (believe he was supposed to be out until August) and barring a trade:

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pasta
Donato-Backes-Heinen
Kuraly-Wagner-Acciari
Nordstrom

Z-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Moore-Miller
Grizz-McQ

I like and agree with your lineup suggestion. Maybe the only differences would be that Acciari will be the 13th forward and that Heinen will be the third-line C and Backes the RW.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I like and agree with your lineup suggestion. Maybe the only differences would be that Acciari will be the 13th forward and that Heinen will be the third-line C and Backes the RW.

I would be down with this, but I don’t think the B’s see Heinen as a C, despite him being very good in the middle in college. I don’t think they see Backes as a C either, but that would be where I would put him.

esmith3283

Feb 14, 2010
Marchand - Bergeron - Bjork

Bjork is an interesting case, in some ways forgotten due to injury and the # of young players we have to be excited about, but this is a guy that coming out of camp last year was the clear #1 in terms of getting his opportunity. He had something like 9 points in 16 games on the Bergeron line in Oct/Nov but more importantly I thought looked good doing it (confident/comfortable/great pace). Not sure where he sits on the depth chart coming into this year but a scenario exists where he simply slots into where he left off.

Debrusk - Krejci - Pastrnak

I'm of the mind that you have to give Pastrnak on the Krejci line one more shot - at least 10-15 games, if it works you have successfully spread the wealth a bit and given us more scoring depth. If it doesn't, we are right back where we started.

Heinen - ???? - Backes

I think the best to way to optimize Backes is the third line RW role, serving as a mentor to whoever claims the 3rd line Center role as it's likely to be a young guy. I feel like this LW spot is Heinen's to lose. In terms of C - I have no clue. Given how the top 6 is organized you would think management and coaching would want a penalty killer in this spot, not to mention Riley Nash was very productive here. Potentials:

Kuraly - this would be unsatisfying to me, I love Kuraly but think he is perfectly suited for where he is, he might be able to moonlight as a 3C on a playoff team once in a while but this would be a bad signal.

Donato - it's hard to envision Donato being left off the big club but a lot of these young guys do their year of service in the AHL first and so that couldn't hurt despite the taste he got last year, also don't think he fits the mold of ideally who they would want here. Barring a trade, if Donato is on the roster I would suspect it would be in place of Bjork.

Studnicka - it's possible but the only way I see this happening is if he forces the team's hand by being simply too good to leave off, to the point of making tactics secondary.

JFK/Frederic - I think there is a reasonable chance one of these two starts the year at 3C - they both bring all around games and could likely be used on the PK. Frederic has the advantage in terms of offense and frankly seems to project as a better player, but JFK has an AHL year under his belt and I've heard brings the safe/steady game.

Kuraly - Wagner - Acciari

All 3 of these guys can play center, so the slotting could change but this is what I would expect.

13th: Nordstrom

LW so could slot in with Kuraly at C and give a different look. I could see us using him quite a bit.

Chara-McAvoy

Hopefully we get one more healthy, full year out of Chara. Results aside, I think McAvoy's learning curve has been exponentially better with Z on his left.

Moore - Carlo

Not much to say here - hopefully this is the type of pairing that no one ever notices for the right reasons.

Krug - Miller

Krug will still get 1PP time, also a chance some could consider this to be the 2nd pair.

7th/8th: Gryz/Mcquaid

Having Gryz and Mcquaid here doesn't make a lot of sense. Frankly if the Bruins are pursuing a deal with Krug and nothing pans out - they could plan on flipping Mcquaid for a 3rd round pick or something. That would be unsatisfying as Mcquaid in the last year of his deal as your 7th D I think fits perfect into what this team is trying to do.

Rask
Halak

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
If they are insistent of breaking up the first line, I'd much rather have Heinen on Krejci's left flank than DeBrusk. DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak simply sucked at eye test and advanced/simple statistics, but maybe Heinen's mature and delibirate pace would help to stabilize that line. Even if they don't put Pasta there I'd still like to see Heinen get a chance at a top-6 role.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Grzelcyk play more hockey with McAvoy. I think they have the tools to complement each other very well and become a pretty damn solid first pairing for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mainehockey33

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
If they are insistent of breaking up the first line, I'd much rather have Heinen on Krejci's left flank than DeBrusk. DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak simply sucked at eye test and advanced/simple statistics, but maybe Heinen's mature and delibirate pace would help to stabilize that line. Even if they don't put Pasta there I'd still like to see Heinen get a chance at a top-6 role.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Grzelcyk play more hockey with McAvoy. I think they have the tools to complement each other very well and become a pretty damn solid first pairing for a long time.

This is interesting. I thought Heinen and Pasta played well together multiple times through out the year when Marchand was out. Heinen-Krejci-Pastrnak seems like it would be a good match. Very similar to the Eriksson-Krejci-Pastrnak line that had a great year together.

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Heinen-Krejci-Pastrnak
Debrusk-Frederic/JFK-Backes

I also wouldn’t mind seeing Gryz and McAvoy together. They did play top pair together at BU. Gryz wasn’t great in the playoffs but I felt he had an awesome rookie season. Lot of potential offense and really solid on D despite his size. I’m surprised so many people are bumping him after signing Moore.

Chara-Carlo
Gryz-McAvoy
Krug-Miller
Moore

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
People have to be careful slotting Bjork onto that first line. He looked good for the first couple weeks of the season but then mostly disappeared for awhile before he was injured. Even before he got hurt I thought he was probably going to be sent down any day. Heinen and DeBrusk were out-playing him before he got hurt.
First 15 games - 9 points
Next 15 games - 3 points
Not that he can't play or won't improve, just that it's a bit rose-coloured to think he's going to be an impactful top 6 player next season - or really even be able to hold his own out there.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
Debrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak
Heinen-Donato-Backes
Wagner-Kuraly-Acciari
Nordstrom

I think out of Heinen, Donato and Backes, one of them can play center. Let Backes Mentor that line and continue to mentor the rookies as they break in on the bottom six. That’s the only way he’s going to earn his money.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
People have to be careful slotting Bjork onto that first line. He looked good for the first couple weeks of the season but then mostly disappeared for awhile before he was injured. Even before he got hurt I thought he was probably going to be sent down any day. Heinen and DeBrusk were out-playing him before he got hurt.
First 15 games - 9 points
Next 15 games - 3 points
Not that he can't play or won't improve, just that it's a bit rose-coloured to think he's going to be an impactful top 6 player next season - or really even be able to hold his own out there.

I think it was typical rookie production swings. DeBrusk went thru it and so did Heinen. We unfortunately didn't get to see if Bjork could break down that rookie wall because of his injury.

There is a lot to like in his game. I would have no problems with him playing on the top line again, seeing as Bergeron and Marchand have proven they can carry anybody and Bjork has the speed and sense of timing/pace to keep up on both ends of the ice. Pasta can reunite with Marchand/Bergeron on power plays and when they pull the goalie looking for a last minute goal.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I think it was typical rookie production swings. DeBrusk went thru it and so did Heinen. We unfortunately didn't get to see if Bjork could break down that rookie wall because of his injury.

There is a lot to like in his game. I would have no problems with him playing on the top line again, seeing as Bergeron and Marchand have proven they can carry anybody and Bjork has the speed and sense of timing/pace to keep up on both ends of the ice. Pasta can reunite with Marchand/Bergeron on power plays and when they pull the goalie looking for a last minute goal.

I did like his game.

I'm generally more cautious with kids myself. I think he'll be a good NHLer but... ? He showed promise but that's about it so far. 'Rookie wall' is usually later in the season. I don't know. I hope he really impresses and cements himself as a top 6 forward but just think it's jumping the gun a bit.

I also really liked seeing Bergeron and Marchand actually have a talented line-mate that could drive the play for a change. So much of their careers have been carrying a third wheel and you could see how great they can be with someone like Pastrnak.

For me, ideally, (as it is right now) Bjork or Heinen or Donato play out of their minds and find chemistry with Krejci and give him someone he's comfortable with.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Alright, a little dreaming to go on with nothing better to talk about. Pretty meaningless till we see what guys look in camp but here it goes anyways.

**ALERT: Yes there are a couple rookies in my lineup for opening night. I've read the thread, I realize how some of you feel but I don't care.**

Marchand-Bergeron-Heinen

Heinen's cerebral two-way game could fit in well with the Marchy-Bergy cycle game. Heinen's showed the ability to play with anyone and put up points, let's give him a real top-6 opportunity. Bjork would have been an interesting option but I'm going to fair on the side of caution and say he's gonna need some time in the AHL to get back up to speed coming off that surgery. No need to force a guy like that in a top-line role.

DeBrusk-Krejci-Pastrnak

Potential to be a real special line. Krejci and Pastrnak have shown to have chemistry in the past and DeBrusk is the perfect winger for them. Tenacious on the puck and gets them quickly to the Czech's for scoring opportunities and can finish the many opportunities those two play-makers will provide. I'd give them a little more of the offensive zone opportunities than the 2nd line got last season. If the Bruins need a spark just move up Pasta.

Donato-JFK-Backes

Yes, two rookies on one line but here me out first. Of all of our center prospects I believe JFK to be the best defensively. He was playing top-6 minutes for the PBruins last season and is the only center prospect with a season of pro experience under the belt. IMO he's the safest bet for this line and along with Backes will be a nice defensive complement to the offense Donato can and should bring to this lineup. I wouldn't bet the house on it but I'd be willing to give it a try to open the season.

Nordstrom-Kuraly-Wagner

Pretty standerd 4th line with more physicality than last season. All pretty good skaters as well, with Acciari ready to step in as a C/RW if injuries come up. This seems to be the vision they have for these signings. I like what a guy like Blidh would bring to the lineup in terms of stiring the pot and getting in opponentes heads, but I'm not sure he's a good enough player to warrent his addition.

Chara-McAvoy

Don't fix it if it ain't broken right?

Krug-Carlo

Started to show some more consistency after a bad start to the season defensivly. Give them a full training camp together and hopeuflly they will have much better chemistry and learn when to cover for each other more efficiently this season. I see the potential there.

Moore-Miller

As much as I love Grz, he's the odd man out here. Moore might not have been great in a Top-4 role in New Jersey but he should settle in as a #5 guy who will give Miller a nice skating complement with a little more size than Grz. Not bad for a third pairing.

Rask- 60 games

Halak- 22 games

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Arguably the best line in hockey. Can completely take over a game on their own. Even though I would like to spread out the offense and move Pasta down, they are too good together to break up.

Debrusk-Krejci-Cehlarik
Krejci gets his two big two way wingers. He has shown really good chemistry with both these guys and they looked really good the few games they were together as a line before Cehlarik got hurt. I think Cehlarik is ready for a big break out season.

Heinen-JFK-Backes
Heinen and Backes played well together last year. I think JFK is a solid Nash replacement on this line and makes it a little more dynamic offensively. Really solid 3rd line.

Bjork-Kurlay-Accairi
Super high energy line, Bjork provides a little more offense as Schaller’s replacement. He can learn the pro game on the 4th line like Marchand did.

Wagner, Nordstrom
Great extra forwards that can sup in the 3rd and fourth line.

Chara-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Gryz-Miller

These guys played really well together when healthy last year, I think they will be even better together this year.

Moore, McQuaid
Great extra dmen providing amazing depth. Both can sub in at anytime in pretty much any spot.

Donato is probably the toughest one to leave off the roster but it won’t hurt to have him rip up the AHL to start the season and learn to be a little more responsible in his own zone in the pro game.

Drool over the possibility of this top 5 in providence.

Donato-Frederic-Senyshyn
Vaak-Zboril

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Heinen played fairly regularly at RW last year.

There is no way I see Cassidy going with that young a 3rd line? If Bjork is healthy (believe he was supposed to be out until August) and barring a trade:

Marchand-Bergeron-Bjork
DeBrusk-Krejci-Pasta
Donato-Backes-Heinen
Kuraly-Wagner-Acciari
Nordstrom

Z-McAvoy
Krug-Carlo
Moore-Miller
Grizz-McQ
I think its the closest we will be in October.

PlinySR

Oct 12, 2017
New England
I realize that it won't happen, but I'd consider moving Marchand to Krejci's left before moving down Pasternak if I wanted to create some more secondary scoring.
I feel like Pasternak needs guys on his line to create space and turnovers for him to be effective. That's why he's been so good on that top line.
Krejci - Pasta has been tried before and it's always left me underwhelmed, so why not give Krejci our best winger and see if it helps turn our second line back into a consistent threat.

Reactions: BigGoalBrad

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I realize that it won't happen, but I'd consider moving Marchand to Krejci's left before moving down Pasternak if I wanted to create some more secondary scoring.
I feel like Pasternak needs guys on his line to create space and turnovers for him to be effective. That's why he's been so good on that top line.
Krejci - Pasta has been tried before and it's always left me underwhelmed, so why not give Krejci our best winger and we if it helps turn our second line back into a consistent threat.

Rask will skate on a line with Krejci before Marchand does.

But I totally agree. I think JDB would work well with Bergeron and Pasternak. Marchand-Krejci-X could be a really good 2nd line regardless of who you play there.

Reactions: PlinySR

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
My ideal would be...

Marchand Bergeron Bjork
DeBrusk Backes Pastrnak
Donato Krejci Heinen

But Backes apparently isn't a center anymore :madfire:

Ad