2018-19 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jul 6, 2016
Anything more than AHL upside for Evans? I think with all the centers we have coming up, he may be on the outside looking in.

maybe a 3rd or 4th line centerman down the road.... Or a winger ?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Earlier in the season, the more serious watchers here were saying that the Rocket were losing in spite of playing well, due to bad luck. It's ok to say that, and it's kind of a scientific statement, as the statement implicitly predicts that the losing eventually stops.

As far as I can tell, the losing has stopped. The team is playing a lot better. But I don't know how much of that is due to less bad luck, and how much of that is due to the additions of Alzner, Schlemko, Ouellet, LeCouvee, etc.

not bad luck, they mostly lose games because they don't have much in the way of offense. When Belzile is your leading scorer you got problems. Not to knock Belzile, who I liked when he put up 8 pts in 14 games with Hamilton and I wanted them to bring him back but last year was his first full season in the AHL at age 26. Froese has been good as well but I had hoped for a little more from him.

Most Laval games you have a very good defensive team, they don't often give up many shots. The offense just isn't very good, their PP is bad although it has picked up of late and now is 21st in the league after being at the very bottom of the league. The offense has picked up a bit but we'll see if that sticks or not as when you look at the roster there isn't much there although getting McCarron back will help some. They have moved up to 24th in the league in goals scored.

The goaltending is tougher to say, it hasn't been bad other then a few games here and there, it's mostly been pretty good but they face so few shots and that one or two goals they give up when they only score 2 or 3 on average puts a ton of pressure on them.

If this team had a big time scoring threat they could be dangerous as they really do play a good defensive game.

Anything more than AHL upside for Evans? I think with all the centers we have coming up, he may be on the outside looking in.

yes, he's having a very good year so far which at least shows he'll get a look in the NHL for sure at some point. He lacks the physical tools, speed, strength, size, skating, but has smarts, works hard, good skill, solid two way player. I could see him as a 3rd or 4th liner at some point, if not with the Habs then someone else down the road but think he needs to get quicker.

maybe a 3rd or 4th line centerman down the road.... Or a winger ?

if he makes it, it should be as a center, in the NCAA he was one of the best every year in face-offs, a right handed center that is solid at both ends of the ice. But we need to see how much improvement can he make in physical tools of speed, strength, etc..

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
If Laval wins tonight in regulation, they will move ahead of Cleveland into 6th place.

If Binghamton also loses in regulation against Utica, Laval would move into 5th place. They'd be tied with them in points, but Laval have 3 games in hand, which would put them ahead of the Devils.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
cle16_200-150x150.png
lav17_200-150x150.png

DxNf8CTWwAIepaB.png

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Dirty hit from behind on Evans. Better be a penalty. Good response by the Rocket players to come to Evans' defense.

Laval PP. But no Evans as he went into the back with the trainer.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good news is Evans is back.

At this moment, it's 7-0 shots in favor of Cleveland. But that does not tell the story so far. Laval is playing well. Their shots just haven't hit the net yet.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Laval scores first. A beauty little feed by Grenier to Belzile who went straight to the net. Lamarche gets the other assist on the goal.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
DxPIOcaWwAEHOnv.jpg

Cleveland had a good first period. Looked like the better team, but it's not like they dominated. Laval just missed the target more than they hit it. But they were opportunistic. And that feels good after so many times that happened against Laval.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Clevaland giving Laval some fits now. Applying a lot of pressure. McNiven's made the saves so far. Bad news is that Evans stayed in the room after the first intermission.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Laval confirms that Jake Evans will not return tonight. I hope it's precautionary and nothing that could be more serious, due to his concussion from the Rookie Showcase.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Had to step out of the house for a bit. I came back and have been watching the last 5-10 minutes of the 3rd. Cleveland is all over Laval.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Laval wins it 1-0! First career AHL shutout for McNiven. He really was a difference maker tonight. Cleveland dominated Laval, particularly in the 3rd period. Laval didn't deserve the win. But the opposite happened way too often earlier in the year. So the famous "it all balances out in the end" saying was in effect tonight.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ever since Lindgren's injury, McNiven and LaCouvee have held real firm in nets. Mostly impressed with McNiven, who struggled in his first year in the pros last season and at the start of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad