2018-19 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Having the team here changes things as well when taking a decision. Previously if you told a player to find an apartment, you hesitated to send him to the AHL in another city. Now he can keep living where he is.

Very true.

And it makes it so much easier for Alzner who can stay living at his home with his family. The commute is a bit longer, but he can still go home to sleep.

Imagine them still being in St. John's. That would hurt a little more.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
what a terrible trade Shinkaruk is mostly useless out there, he's the biggest disappointment for me so far this season. I can't believe he was a 1st rounder although that draft class isn't looking so hot.

it was a boring game, Laval is just a crazy team, they often dominate games, they play so well defensively that they have to be if the best in the AHL in least shots allowed they have to be close. I can't count how many times already they have given up just 2 or 3 shots in a period. But the offense just can't get going.

I think he can be at least a solid backup, so far this season I'd say he's likely Laval's MVP, I know his save % sucks but he's been very good for the most part. No wonder there are rumors of NHL teams calling about him.

defensively yes.

if they had Kulak back and Fleury healthy it would certainly be miles better then it's been as we were just rolling Plant-Lamarche as our top pairing, ouch. We'll see how Mete does though, maybe he plays great as Laval sorely needs someone to bring some offense from the blueline. Without Kulak the blueline has scored 5 goals this year.

I'd say he's getting more comfortable out there.

he's had consistency issues, I watched a good bit of him in the SHL and he's one of those guys that flashes some impressive plays and then nothing for several weeks and you go what happened to that guy. He kind of reminds me of Eller in that he leaves you wanting more as he's got the size, skating, speed and two way play (not saying he's anything close to Eller)

Dude, it's a trade of minor leaguers. they were both failing 1st rd choices and Rychel can't skate.

This year's AHL team does have fewer than usual number of NHL quality prospects (which is usually only 4-5 anyway) but Shinkaruk was a 1st rd choice for some reason. There's no guarantee Rychel does better in Laval. He still can't skate and the team is thin--really thin--and he can't skate.

Then again, your boy Danny Kristo is on his 2nd Euro team this year, down a level, and still hasn't played in the NHL and you can't blame Lefebvre or being rushed or not getting his chance. Remember that "terrible trade"?

It's still a trade of minor leaguers. Meh.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Very true.

And it makes it so much easier for Alzner who can stay living at his home with his family. The commute is a bit longer, but he can still go home to sleep.

Yup. Hope Alzner doesn't live in Brossard. He better move, if he does.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That's a really polite way of saying, "You're full of ****". :laugh:

I assume you disagree about Lindgren. Care to elaborate?

Not really. It could be me that's off. When I watch him play I see some big flaws, such as overplaying his angles, not being square, flopping too much.

Perhaps my standards are too high, but a sub-.900 save percentage in the AHL does not inspire a high level of confidence.

Your mileage may vary.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Not really. It could be me that's off. When I watch him play I see some big flaws, such as overplaying his angles, not being square, flopping too much.

Perhaps my standards are too high, but a sub-.900 save percentage in the AHL does not inspire a high level of confidence.

Your mileage may vary.

Let’s look at his save percentage in a few weeks after 10-15 games with Alzner, Mete, and Fleury on D. I’m going to gamble that it will improve.

Unless Lindgren caught some weird Carey Price bug, I don’t see how he could go from on the cusp of the NHL to shouldn’t be in AHL.

I still have some confidence in Lindgren, ... and Price, too.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Dude, it's a trade of minor leaguers. they were both failing 1st rd choices and Rychel can't skate.

This year's AHL team does have fewer than usual number of NHL quality prospects (which is usually only 4-5 anyway) but Shinkaruk was a 1st rd choice for some reason. There's no guarantee Rychel does better in Laval. He still can't skate and the team is thin--really thin--and he can't skate.

Then again, your boy Danny Kristo is on his 2nd Euro team this year, down a level, and still hasn't played in the NHL and you can't blame Lefebvre or being rushed or not getting his chance. Remember that "terrible trade"?

It's still a trade of minor leaguers. Meh.

Who cares if Shinkaruk is faster than Rychel if he does nothing with it?

Rychel is tied 2nd on his team for points (1st in goal).

Shinkaruk is tied 13th on his team for points (also tied 13th for goals with 1 goal).

We traded a physical AHL goalscorer for a guy that can't even bother to play decent AHL hockey. At 24 years old, he's one of the vet on this team. He needs to start playing like it.

This trade has been an absolute win for Calgary, even if it's a minor league deal.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Yeah, The Rychel vs Shinkaruk trade didn't make sense on a hockey stand point, maybe there's things we don't know.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Shinkaruk's days are numbered the guy will be in the Swiss league in no time.

agreed, he's been in the doghouse from the sounds of it, and being a healthy scratch which as a 5th year in the AHL is telling right there as you can bet if Rychel was back with Laval this year he wouldn't be a healthy scratch since this team sorely needs goals.

I'm just shocked that a guy that clearly had a lot of skill since he put up 49 goals as a 17 year old and in his 2nd AHL season had 51 pts yet he's on pace for less then 20 pts. Had hoped he would have come in knowing it's likely his last shot to turn things around before heading to the Euro leagues but unless his game does a quick 180 I don't see it happening and he'll likely be in the Swiss league or one of the Euro leagues by next year.

Yeah, The Rychel vs Shinkaruk trade didn't make sense on a hockey stand point, maybe there's things we don't know.

for sure, perhaps Rychel wanted a one way and MB knew he wouldn't get it here so he gave him a shot somewhere else. We can only guess as to the situation, but with trading Rychel, Taormina, Valiev, it certainly hasn't helped the team. Although despite their goal scoring troubles they are a much better team this year to watch, so much better structurally in their own end and that's with 3 rookies dressed each night.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Very true.

Schedule is also way easier. They play this Saturday at 3pm then don't play again til Friday, December 7th at night. It's Friday, Saturday & Wednesday for all of December, and there's a second 1 week break. The bus trip probably sucks, but overall it's not bad.

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal

Shinkaruk is tied 13th on his team for points (also tied 13th for goals with 1 goal).

We traded a physical AHL goalscorer for a guy that can't even bother to play decent AHL hockey. At 24 years old, he's one of the vet on this team. He needs to start playing like it.

This trade has been an absolute win for Calgary, even if it's a minor league deal.
Generally, if you swap a productive AHLer for another AHLer, you expect the receiving piece to contribute close to equally as the one you traded away.

Rychel might be slow but he has twice more goals than Shinkaruk has points... And Laval is starving for goals.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I liked Rychel. He wasn't made for the NHL but he has what it takes to be productive in the AHL. There must've been something in the negotiations that prompted Habs to make the trade.

Both players signed one-year, two-way deals after the trade. Rychel makes $75K more than Shinkaruk and $20K more in the minors. That is not the type of money Habs care to save.

Shinkaruk skates better but Rychel produces more.

No fan fiction

Nov 16, 2004
Reportedly, Rychel wanted a one-way deal. On paper, Laval would be getting someone with proven scoring skills, to play in Laval. Neither player is a prospect so unless you're a Laval fan and have forgotten that it's all about the CH, then it's one of those things that happens. Don't forget Josef Balej netted Kovalev. Bergevin got Vanek for Collberg, which wasn't as big a loss as everyone thought at the time. Meh. Minor leaguers. I'm far more interested in the actual prospects. Trouble is Laval might only have 2-3: a goalie, a defenseman and maybe a forward.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010

I'm keeping that in case someone ask me how crazy hockey discussions get online.

Reactions: Chris Nilan

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Q: Can they call back Ahlzner at will now that he's cleared waivers?

Yes. Re-entry waivers doesn't exist anymore. So they can call him up whenever they want. And as soon as he's recalled, the countdown clock to send him back down without placing him through waivers again starts. And the countdown is either 30 days or 10 games, whichever of those two comes first.

Reactions: HabsDood

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
1 - 1. Hopefully future Rocket's defenseman has an assist. Brennan has more skill offensively than Benn, Ouellet, Kulak, Alzner. Probably equal to Reilly at this point if not better. Defensive game is a struggle like a bunch of PMD.

Habs should really look to sign him this offseason or even acquire this season.

Jul 6, 2016
1 - 1. Hopefully future Rocket's defenseman has an assist. Brennan has more skill offensively than Benn, Ouellet, Kulak, Alzner. Probably equal to Reilly at this point if not better. Defensive game is a struggle like a bunch of PMD.

Habs should really look to sign him this offseason or even acquire this season.

There must be an excellent reason why Brennan is a career AHL d-man... Don't you think ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->