2018-19 Laval Rocket & ECHL Thread (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
What are the odds for Grenier to be back you would say?

Right now, I think it would be 60/40 he'd return.

Grenier had a bad year last year. Although he was more consistent down the stretch before his injury.

The year before he signed with Laval, he was an AHL All-Star. So I would think they'd bring him back because they know he has more to offer.

And I think they'd like to have some continuity from last year with the returns of Belzile, Ouellet, and Jevpalovs. They know they'll have a bunch of new faces next year with the incoming prospects. So having some sort of stability should help.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
Right now, I think it would be 60/40 he'd return.

Grenier had a bad year last year. Although he was more consistent down the stretch before his injury.

The year before he signed with Laval, he was an AHL All-Star. So I would think they'd bring him back because they know he has more to offer.

And I think they'd like to have some continuity from last year with the returns of Belzile, Ouellet, and Jevpalovs. They know they'll have a bunch of new faces next year with the incoming prospects. So having some sort of stability should help.

No way they waste a vet spot on Grenier, him and Shinkaruk were the main reason Laval did so bad.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
No way they waste a vet spot on Grenier, him and Shinkaruk were the main reason Laval did so bad.

For Grenier, I see them bringing him back. Even if he takes up a vet spot. As I mentioned in my post, he was an AHL All-Star the year before. So maybe they'll give him a shot to rebound.

They may have other players they plan to target in free agency. So they may opt to let him walk.

Personally, in his case, I'm in mode "I'm okay with whatever they decide." Unlike Belzile and Jevpalovs and Ouellet, who were players I wanted back in Laval. Grenier isn't on that list for me.

Shinkaruk is as good as gone for me. I wouldn't be happy if they do bring him back.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
For Grenier, I see them bringing him back. Even if he takes up a vet spot. As I mentioned in my post, he was an AHL All-Star the year before. So maybe they'll give him a shot to rebound.

They may have other players they plan to target in free agency. So they may opt to let him walk.

Personally, in his case, I'm in mode "I'm okay with whatever they decide." Unlike Belzile and Jevpalovs and Ouellet, who were players I wanted back in Laval. Grenier isn't on that list for me.

Shinkaruk is as good as gone for me. I wouldn't be happy if they do bring him back.

The only reason I would see the Habs bringing him back is that he doesn't take up an NHL contract, but let's hope they can get a better vet on an AHL deal.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
What are the odds for Grenier to be back you would say?

depends on what management has planned, what trades, signings etc.. Do they expect Peca, Hudon, Weise to be in Laval or are they thinking only one will be there so they need a Terry, Carr, Agostino type. It's really hard to try and guess this time of year, in June we at least find out on the QO's and by the end of July we should have a somewhat decent clue to the roster.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
depends on what management has planned, what trades, signings etc.. Do they expect Peca, Hudon, Weise to be in Laval or are they thinking only one will be there so they need a Terry, Carr, Agostino type. It's really hard to try and guess this time of year, in June we at least find out on the QO's and by the end of July we should have a somewhat decent clue to the roster.

Peca and Weise are under contract,as is D-lo,so unless making the big club,or moved,would help the Rockets.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

You keep throwing out the term “AHL all star” because you know that “career high 20 goal and 48 point scorer” just doesn’t have the same ring to it, doesn’t it?

It would be such a waste of a veteran roster spot if they chose to bring him back.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You keep throwing out the term “AHL all star” because you know that “career high 20 goal and 48 point scorer” just doesn’t have the same ring to it, doesn’t it?

It would be such a waste of a veteran roster spot if they chose to bring him back.

20 goals and close to 50 points is fine with me. It's not like the team will be built around him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just read on DLC (sometimes reliable) that one of the sources for the site, said this about McCarron:

McCarron n’a pas fait le travail lors de ses moments à Montréal, mais une chose demeure certaine, il est bon en TA dans la Ligue américaine et c’est ardu de l’affronter. Il joue « tough », il est « mean », il donne des petits coups par en arrière, il sait se battre et presque personne ne désire l’affronter.

TRANSLATION: McCarron didn't get the job done but one thing is clear -- he's damn good in the AHL and he's difficult to face. He plays tough, he's mean, he gives little shots from behind you, he knows how to fight and almost no one wants to face him.

I heard he had improved his skating and had a better attitude, but this other stuff, I wasn't really aware of.

Does any of this sound credible to those of you who followed him closely last season?

And if so, does he get another shot with the Habs?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Peca and Weise are under contract,as is D-lo,so unless making the big club,or moved,would help the Rockets.

I think DLO will be the 13/14th forward and Weise/Peca I assume will be in Laval but who knows what trades they have planned not that I expect either to be in a deal just that it's hard to project an AHL roster in May.

Just read on DLC (sometimes reliable) that one of the sources for the site, said this about McCarron:

McCarron n’a pas fait le travail lors de ses moments à Montréal, mais une chose demeure certaine, il est bon en TA dans la Ligue américaine et c’est ardu de l’affronter. Il joue « tough », il est « mean », il donne des petits coups par en arrière, il sait se battre et presque personne ne désire l’affronter.

TRANSLATION: McCarron didn't get the job done but one thing is clear -- he's damn good in the AHL and he's difficult to face. He plays tough, he's mean, he gives little shots from behind you, he knows how to fight and almost no one wants to face him.

I heard he had improved his skating and had a better attitude, but this other stuff, I wasn't really aware of.

Does any of this sound credible to those of you who followed him closely last season?

And if so, does he get another shot with the Habs?

he did improve his skating and speed, he was playing the best hockey he's played in the last 2 years. I would be surprised if he's not back.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

Real happy Jevpalovs will be back next season.

Too bad they didn't sit him out 4 meaningless games at the end of the season if they were considering bringing him back. 263 pro games means another vet spot filled without a top AHL scorer in the mix. As it stands now it is him, XO and the 4 mistakes Bergevin needs to bury taking the 6 spots. Peca also just barely crossed tthe 260 game plateau
Great asset management by Bergy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Too bad they didn't sit him out 4 meaningless games at the end of the season if they were considering bringing him back. 263 pro games means another vet spot filled without a top AHL scorer in the mix. As it stands now it is him, XO and the 4 mistakes Bergevin needs to bury taking the 6 spots. Peca also just barely crossed tthe 260 game plateau
Great asset management by Bergy.

I don't care that much about the AHL veteran rule but I show him at 199 games AHL/ECHL and 46 KHL games so he would be at 245.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I don't care that much about the AHL veteran rule but I show him at 199 games AHL/ECHL and 46 KHL games so he would be at 245.
Mea Culpa, i counted his 69 games last season instead of his KHL games, you are right. So there is still hope they can sign someone who can score goals.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
20 goals and close to 50 points is fine with me. It's not like the team will be built around him.

They didn’t have a single 20 goal scorer last year. The additions of Peca and Deslauriers won’t change that and it’s hard to be confident Weise will either.

Suzuki and Poehling are also both primarily pass first players should they not crack the Habs roster.

The team has 2 veteran spots left and they absolutely must go to players who can put the puck in the net.

So wasting one of those spots on a player who’s maximum upside is 20 goals, and is coming off a season significantly worse than that, should without a doubt be a disappointment.

Reactions: HABitual Fan

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
So the Laval Rocket at the moment consist of:

Forwards
Jake Evans
Lukas Vejdemo
Nick Suzuki (if he doesn't crack the Habs line-up)
Ryan Poehling (if he doesn't crack the Habs line-up)
Joel Teasdale
Hayden Verbeek
Alexandre Alain
Michael Pezzetta
Antoine Waked
Alex Belzile (NHL contract)
Nikita Jevpalovs (AHL contract)

Defense
Noah Juulsen (if he doesn't crack the Habs line-up)
Josh Brook
Cale Fleury
Xavier Ouellet
Otto Leskinen
David Sklenicka
Karl Alzner (if they keep him and send him back to Laval)
Maxim Lamarche (AHL contract)
Ryan Culkin (AHL contract)

Goaltenders
Cayden Primeau
Michael McNiven
Charlie Lindgren (if he doesn't crack the Habs as a back-up)

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
So the Laval Rocket at the moment consist of:

Forwards
Jake Evans
Lukas Vejdemo
Nick Suzuki (if he doesn't crack the Habs line-up)
Ryan Poehling (if he doesn't crack the Habs line-up)
Joel Teasdale
Hayden Verbeek
Alexandre Alain
Michael Pezzetta
Antoine Waked
Alex Belzile (NHL contract)
Nikita Jevpalovs (AHL contract)

Defense
Noah Juulsen (if he doesn't crack the Habs line-up)
Josh Brook
Cale Fleury
Xavier Ouellet
Otto Leskinen
Karl Alzner (if they keep him and send him back to Laval)
Maxim Lamarche (AHL contract)
Ryan Culkin (AHL contract)

Goaltenders
Cayden Primeau
Michael McNiven
Charlie Lindgren (if he doesn't crack the Habs as a back-up)

Verbeek, Pezzetta and Waked in ECHL somewhere.

Culkin and Lamarche in ECHL. Lindgren traded, or NHL.

Juulsen possibly in NHL and another, better AHLer than Culkin, or Lamarche.

Grenier sucked, but he's typically a better player than what he showed.

I hope the habs ger a high end AHLer, who an easily get 50+ points.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Verbeek, Pezzetta and Waked in ECHL somewhere.

Culkin and Lamarche in ECHL. Lindgren traded, or NHL.

Juulsen possibly in NHL and another, better AHLer than Culkin, or Lamarche.

Grenier sucked, but he's typically a better player than what he showed.

I hope the habs ger a high end AHLer, who an easily get 50+ points.

Lamarche was probably the most steady defenceman this year in Laval, he belong in the AHL on the 3rd pairing IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad