Rumor: 2018-19 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Slava should show up to the NHL offices waving a tiny American flag while his attorney plays this tune on his ghetto blaster.

1qygcd.jpg

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
At this point of his career, Carter should be transitioning into a depth winger who can be counted to chip in 20 or so.

If we could actually develop an impact forward, this wouldn’t be a problem.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
They’ve also found a number of highly talented guys outside of the first round. Something the Kings haven’t had much luck with.

I'm pretty sure Tampa never had a coach who would "scare the scoring right out of them" as someone in the media once said of Sutter. Imagine if Brayden Point missed a check or tried to create a scoring chance and failed, then get benched for 2 weeks?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Al Murray doing a fine job drafting there.

He's had a lot of help. the 2011 draft is where he somehow hit gold. Tampa got 5 current NHLers from that draft. That same guy never did anywhere near that kind of job in the 12 years as head of scouting for the Kings. He singlehandedly screwed up the 2003 draft, which when you think about it, was pretty hard to do.

Reactions: yankeeking

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
So if we look at the roster as it sits right now, taking into accounts injuries with Vilardi and Forbort:

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Iafallo-Kempe-Lewis
Clifford-Thompson-xxxxx

Muzzin-Doughty
Phaneuf-Martinez
Fantenberg-Ladue

Quick/Campbell

players who don't require waivers: Amadio, Brickley, Rempal
players who do have to pass waivers: MacDermid, Fantenberg, Brodzinski, Lintuniemi, Mitchell

Vilardi is up in the air, but I think if he's healthy at all in training camp I think he makes the team. Forbort will for sure be on the team and appears close to being ready. I think it's unlikely the team goes with 8 defensemen so we have about 3 forward spots available and the 7th defensemen. I think Amadio and Brodzinski make the team for sure. I think Brickley makes the team as I think Stevens and Blake really like him.

I kind of have a theory if Vilardi is still injured by the time the season starts. Could Vilardi start the season on IR and have a guy like Rempal in his spot and then when Vilardi is ready give him a conditioning assignment in Ontario and then when its done take him off IR and swap him with Rempal? I think its possible to do this, but I just need someone to confirm this. Because I just don't see the point in sending Vilardi back to the OHL anymore, he's just too good.

Reactions: King Trouty

KingsOfCali25

Start up the Bandwagon!
Feb 21, 2013
Santa Clarita, CA
I still see the Kings starting the year with...

Kovy--Kopitar--Brown
Pearson--Carter--Toffoli
Iafallo--Kempe--Lewis
Etem--Amadio--Brodzinski
Clifford, Thompson

Brickley--Doughty
Phanuef--Martinez
Muzzin--LaDue
Fantenberg

IR: Forbort, Vilardi

They will trade Thompson when one of those guys gets healthy.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's funny how much a year changes things.

This time last year people were proclaiming Kopitar dead and Carter the real 1C after putting up 66 points.

Turns out injuries affect people.

I'm as worried about Carter (and as Axl points out there's a lot riding on his wingers' shoulders now) as anyone but I need to see him on the ice before I start thinking about our future 2C.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I mean aside from Toffoli who's decent and Pearson, it's been pretty barren for a long time. I trip out on teams like Tampa Bay.

But why? They had been terrible for some time, and accumulated many high picks. They had an absolute monster 2011 draft, but aside from that, if you swapped the team name with the Kings, people would be crapping on them here instead. No one regularly on the roster from 2015 until now (which is a regular criticism point around here). Cirelli may be on the cusp. Brayden Point in 2014 is huge, but the rest of their draft was crap (DeAngelo in the 1st). Drouin is their Hickey, but at least he turned into Sergachev. Koekkoek is apparently on the Forbort development path. Outside of Hedman and Stamkos, they actually have gotten just about nothing out of their first round picks for a decade. Outside of the first as Ziggy mentions is nice--Point, Kucherov (2nd) and Palat (7th--but he's regressed) in 2011, but before that, have to go all the way back to 2007 for Killorn.

They've actually done good stuff outside the draft--like Gourde and Tyler Johnson. But people are mistaking their acquisitions for drafting too. And the constant criticism around here is about drafting impact forwards directly--so if we're going to start giving credit for acquisitions...

Anyway, point overall is if you look at each team's draft history, you'll notice just as many swings and misses and faults--just different ones reflective often of an organization's philosophy. Look how soft and pathetic Tampa Bay looked when it was time to perform. They're one playoff round loss away from being Sharks 2.0.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings will not lose assets for nothing - this has happened in the past and many article have been written about those mistakes.

Amadio and Brickley to down to Ontario. Kings will likely keep Brodzinski, Fattenberg and MacDermid all up - since they all require waivers.

Kovy-Kopitar-Brown
Pearson- Carter-Toffoli
Iaffalo-Kempe-Lewis
Clifford-Thompson-Etem
Brodzinski

Doughty-Muzzin
Martinez-Martinez
Phaneuf-LaDue
Extra: Fattenberg and MacD

The issue becomes if the Kings sign Etem and Forbort comes back. Then Fattenberg likely goes down. And if Vilardi emerges in camp soon and makes a statement then the King’s either don’t sign Etem or they do and send him down.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Not sure why people are already penciling in Etem.

Guy scored 3 goals in a Kings vs Kings game.

His career highs are lower than Thompson, Clifford, and Nick Shore.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Gourde was never drafted, playing in the ECHL at the age of 22, and only becoming a productive NHL player at 25. That's like Spencer Watson doing the same thing about 3 years from now. Anyone expecting that? That's the sort of thing that successful teams have happen. That's what makes or breaks a contender. The unexpected production in any given year. See Dwight King in 2012.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Etem has scored 7 goals a few times. Clifford scored 7 once and Shore never scored more than 6. Etem has also barely played a full season in his entire career. Most he has played is 50 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad