Rumor: 2018-19 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Good to hear about Etem. Kings do need some luck with these try outs for once.

Also, how did Kopitar look? Did he look quick like last season or was he just coasting? Hoping he continues where he left off.

Reactions: King Trouty

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He would never make it on our Sutter cup winning teams. However, he would actually be probably good for the current NHL, where physical play is not in the forefront.
He ended up being one of the best KHL players of all time.

Speaking of which, Loktionov, who couldn't even make the Kings last year, is currently leading the KHL in points.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We’ve seen the Kings sign a few tryouts out of training camp in the past with Trent Hunter, Devin Setoguchi, Peter Budaj, and Brooks Laich.

A two-way deal and someone to push borderline NHL/AHL tweeners wouldn’t hurt to sign. He could slot in a top six role for Ontario at worst, or a bottom six role in LA at best.

Plus the fact Vilardi may not be goo to go may open a spot for Etem.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Good to hear about Etem. Kings do need some luck with these try outs for once.

Also, how did Kopitar look? Did he look quick like last season or was he just coasting? Hoping he continues where he left off.

He wasn't playing at a high pace, and he still scored two goals. They already looked like they were reading off each other just fine. Going to be fun to watch.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Carter line: Pretty quiet. Carts scared me when he took a tumble backwards early on (Kopi and Amadio too) during the early parts of the game. Toffoli had some good looks but Quick stymied him. Pearson was very quiet.

not surprised at all by this, but very disappointing

Carter should start to decline and Toffoli & Pearson have reached their peak as Kings players

our 2nd line will continuously change this year, and ultimately the lack of a solid 2nd line will be LA's main issue for the season

(did i say we won't make the playoffs? did i say we suck? did i say anything of that sort? calm down if you choose to reply to this thread)

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Sorry. I can't agree. In my example, the menu doesn't change. You have different chefs working with the same menu. You may like the food they bring out, or you may not.

The team is being transparent. They say the player is week-to-week. Manage your expectations of likely players available to the game accordingly.

Aside from getting into the personal business of another human being, why are fans owed more of an explanation? What more do you gain knowing if Vilardi has explosive bloody diarrhea or cancer? How will you plan going to the game 3 months in advance with this newfound personal knowledge?

I think plenty of people would think twice about buying season seats going into a year where Trevor Lewis was going to be the #1 C instead of Anze Kopitar, but maybe that's just me. You keep saying it's personal like I'm asking for a webcam into the dude's bedroom, which is not what I'm saying at all. Anyway, this isn't worth arguing over, nor does it matter. They're gonna do what they're gonna do.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Plus the fact Vilardi may not be goo to go may open a spot for Etem.

It definitely opens up a spot for everyone not already in. With no Vilardi, Etem is going up against Mitchell, and then a bunch of 1st or 2nd year guys who don't have to go through waivers and may still need time in the AHL. I guess JAD has some momentum as well. The question there is development and what's best long term, whereas Etem is what he is, and won't complain if he's the 14th forward.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Carter should start to decline and Toffoli & Pearson have reached their peak as Kings players

our 2nd line will continuously change this year, and ultimately the lack of a solid 2nd line will be LA's main issue for the season

(did i say we won't make the playoffs? did i say we suck? did i say anything of that sort? calm down if you choose to reply to this thread)

The amount of credence you should give to an inter-squad game is zero. Especially among the vets. Youngsters/PTO's giving it there all, like their career is on the line.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
It definitely opens up a spot for everyone not already in. With no Vilardi, Etem is going up against Mitchell, and then a bunch of 1st or 2nd year guys who don't have to go through waivers and may still need time in the AHL. I guess JAD has some momentum as well. The question there is development and what's best long term, whereas Etem is what he is, and won't complain if he's the 14th forward.

I like everything I read about JAD but I think he goes down to start the year

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA

Mitchell isn't on the team anymore

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Instead of should and will, could and may work better. There has to be a little more room for potential outcomes when predicting the future. They may, or may not, not lack a 2nd line this year.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Ah yes I was referring to Torrey. I doubt Zack Mitchell is in the running for a roster spot

That's what I mean. Without Vilardi, Etem isn't up against the most proven competition. Not that Vilardi is proven, but he's the big name prospect who was penciled in the lineup.

Ever since the Vilardi news for this camp started coming out, Etem making the team has made increasing sense. Unless someone beats him in camp, he'd be the cheap, low maintenance roster filler, until someone in Ontario(or Vilardi) is ready.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
That's what I mean. Without Vilardi, Etem isn't up against the most proven competition. Not that Vilardi is proven, but he's the big name prospect who was penciled in the lineup.

Ever since the Vilardi news for this camp started coming out, Etem making the team has made increasing sense. Unless someone beats him in camp, he'd be the cheap, low maintenance roster filler, until someone in Ontario(or Vilardi) is ready.

I imagine Etem would be ok with spending the odd game in the press box as well if it meant an NHL paycheque

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I figure the spot a guy like Zack Mitchell would be competing for would be where a Nate Thompson/Michael Amadio would be slotted. He's most likely destined for Ontario, but he's behind those two in the pecking order for fourth line center options.

As for Etem, he's battling for a fourth line spot on the wing since Brodzinski hasn't really proven himself quite yet. Vilardi making the roster would've pushed Trevor Lewis down to that spot, but Lewis is going to be the third line RW, which means most of the competition in camp is for the last few spots on the fourth line or the #6-7 blueline spots.

The top three lines are already set with Kopitar centering Kovalchuk and Brown, Carter between Pearson and Toffoli, Kempe alongside Iafallo and Lewis, and the fourth line leftovers are Clifford, Thompson, Amadio, Brodzinski, Etem and Mitchell. Five out of that six will likely make it.

And on the blueline, with Forbort injured, it appears Doughty, Muzzin, Martinez, Phaneuf, LaDue, Brickley and Fantenberg may make up the top 7, with MacDermid vying for a spot should they wish to have a physical presence back there.

Aside from the possibility of Jaret Anderson-Dolan making a push to earn a roster spot, I'm not expecting too many surprises. Most of the roster is set.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

It's quite possible. The injury Carter sustained last season may be tougher for him to get over than some may think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad