Rumor: 2018-19 Kings News/Rumors/Tidbits

Status
Not open for further replies.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
This is my take on the opening season roster. Kings roll with 22 players to save cap space. Brodzinski to LTIR, Vilardi to SOIR (season opening IR, does not count against the CAP).

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Kempe-Carter-Kovalchuk
Pearson-Amadio-Toffoli
Clifford-Thompson-Lewis
Etem

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Phanuef-LaDue
Brickley

Quick-Campbell

They may try and waive Fantenberg and MacDermid on different days and see if the first guy clears. If he does, I'm confident Brickley makes the Kings. He may anyway as many of the respected beat writers feel the days of protecting the tweener prospects is over. Brodzinski would have been the only exemption, but that's moot now. Kings are deeper than they have been for a couple of seasons (and obviously without the Brodzinski and Vilardi injuries would be in even better shape).

JAD to the WHL, Clague, Petersen and Wagner to the AHL, MacDermid, Budaj and Fantenberg waived.

I'll see you in 10 days and we'll see if I'm clueless or spot on.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Agree on your forwards. Not on D.

Mark my words people Brickley is not the #7. He won’t sit in the press box. He is waiver exempt,

Also, NHL teams can keep 3 spare players. So if Etem if the extra, Kings can keep 2 D. They will try and keep as many waiver eligible players up as they can.

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
Iafallo will probably be on the third line.I be totally shocked if Steven's puts AI back on the first line to start the season after paying Kovi 6 mil.Kempe might also be on the third line to balance the scoring.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Here are the remaining 31 players in camp (or 29 if you scratch out the injured Vilardi and Brodzinski):

Forwards (17): Kopitar, Brown, Kovalchuk, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Kempe, Iafallo, Amadio, Clifford, Thompson, Lewis, Wagner, Anderson-Dolan, Etem, Vilardi^, Brodzinski^
Defensemen (10): Doughty, Forbort, Muzzin, Martinez, LaDue, Phaneuf, Fantenberg, Brickley, MacDermid, Clague
Goalies (4): Quick, Campbell, Petersen, Budaj

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Budaj on waivers today. As is the player he was dealt for, Andy Andreoff.
Dny63vyXsAAApJD.jpg:large

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Here are the remaining 31 players in camp (or 29 if you scratch out the injured Vilardi and Brodzinski):

Forwards (17): Kopitar, Brown, Kovalchuk, Carter, Toffoli, Pearson, Kempe, Iafallo, Amadio, Clifford, Thompson, Lewis, Wagner, Anderson-Dolan, Etem, Vilardi^, Brodzinski^
Defensemen (10): Doughty, Forbort, Muzzin, Martinez, LaDue, Phaneuf, Fantenberg, Brickley, MacDermid, Clague
Goalies (4): Quick, Campbell, Petersen, Budaj

I like our D for this coming season, I mean I really like it. DD JM DF DP AM and Brickly/LaDue (KC is just going to have to play in Ont for this coming season), we are stacked thick and deep on the back end. I am touch and go these days around here (working in Seattle towards the new franchise in a prefunctary manner) but is there a shot at VV coming back? Last I heard he was cleared awaiting the NHL's blessing. anyone know anything else? Add VV (based on his last season in the K where he was the best Dman in the league and dominated during the playoffs, really fun to watch him put it all on the line and play the kind of hockey he is best suited for) and we might be able to shut our opponents down enough to where our system can win again.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I like our D for this coming season, I mean I really like it. DD JM DF DP AM and Brickly/LaDue (KC is just going to have to play in Ont for this coming season), we are stacked thick and deep on the back end. I am touch and go these days around here (working in Seattle towards the new franchise in a prefunctary manner) but is there a shot at VV coming back? Last I heard he was cleared awaiting the NHL's blessing. anyone know anything else? Add VV (based on his last season in the K where he was the best Dman in the league and dominated during the playoffs, really fun to watch him put it all on the line and play the kind of hockey he is best suited for) and we might be able to shut our opponents down enough to where our system can win again.

The league is currently investigating the Voynov situation. They won't have a ruling on his status until that is done...and they have not given a timeline on that.

Reactions: resurrected

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
Kings have any interest in Andreoff?

If they picked him up could they assign him to Ontario?

Also, Vegas has waived two decent goalies in the past few days. Toronto will have the same dilemma - surprised some teams haven’t picked on of these guys up.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
MacD is a fringe NHL’er and Fantenberg is too low on the LHD depth chart to crack the Kings top four IMO. Given it’s a transition year, and with the age of th roster meaning injuries are going to happen, I hope Brickley stays up and plays as the 5-7 d man.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kings already have a glorified face puncher in Clifford. Don't need another one

Is the pre season done btw ?haven't been in town nor paying attention

Need someone to absorb the superman punches

Preseason going till Oct 1st

Kings have any interest in Andreoff?

If they picked him up could they assign him to Ontario?

Also, Vegas has waived two decent goalies in the past few days. Toronto will have the same dilemma - surprised some teams haven’t picked on of these guys up.

No, and that's part of why so many of those guys who look like decent pickups won't be claimed--they have to go straight to your roster. Unless I'm misremembering something which is possible, please anyone jump in and correct me

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Need someone to absorb the superman punches

Preseason going till Oct 1st

No, and that's part of why so many of those guys who look like decent pickups won't be claimed--they have to go straight to your roster. Unless I'm misremembering something which is possible, please anyone jump in and correct me

This is correct, picking up from waivers means you put them on your roster

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I don’t understand why people think we should worry so much about losing fringe players to waivers. Of course you shouldn’t be reckless with an asset and if a roster place is otherwise a coin flip then yes waiver status should come into play. However only 2 things should come into play.

The first is how do get the best nhl line up on the ice, second does it better server the players long term development to be sent down (thus better for the team) rather than taking a roster spot.

If the roster is better with Brickley on it and they don’t think his role on the roster will mess with his development, there is no sense at all in sending him down so that we don’t risk losing Fantenberg or MacD. They are not valuable assets and in all reality have limited upside. Fantenberg might round out into a bottom pairing D and MacD, at best, could become a regular #7. Given Brickley has decent middle pairing upside, his development must always be ahead in the priorities.

I like both Fantenberg and MacDermid and I’m rooting for them but it has to be a pragmatic decision. FWIW if Forbert if fit, I’d send down MacD and Brickley; to give Brickley big minutes in the AHL. Fantenberg then is #7. If Forbert isn’t good to go then Brickley stays up and Fantenberg is still #7 ; and Brickley dresses on the opening night.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
I don’t understand why people think we should worry so much about losing fringe players to waivers. Of course you shouldn’t be reckless with an asset and if a roster place is otherwise a coin flip then yes waiver status should come into play. However only 2 things should come into play.

The first is how do get the best nhl line up on the ice, second does it better server the players long term development to be sent down (thus better for the team) rather than taking a roster spot.

If the roster is better with Brickley on it and they don’t think his role on the roster will mess with his development, there is no sense at all in sending him down so that we don’t risk losing Fantenberg or MacD. They are not valuable assets and in all reality have limited upside. Fantenberg might round out into a bottom pairing D and MacD, at best, could become a regular #7. Given Brickley has decent middle pairing upside, his development must always be ahead in the priorities.

I like both Fantenberg and MacDermid and I’m rooting for them but it has to be a pragmatic decision. FWIW if Forbert if fit, I’d send down MacD and Brickley; to give Brickley big minutes in the AHL. Fantenberg then is #7. If Forbert isn’t good to go then Brickley stays up and Fantenberg is still #7 ; and Brickley dresses on the opening night.

As long as they are fringe players. I know picking Hickey 4th overall was a balls up and he was lost through waivers because someone (was it Muzzin?) was deemed a better fit or more ready. But losing a player that has managed 6 seasons in the nhl with the same team for nothing sucks donkey balls (aside from his draft position).

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I agree with the overall message here. And this is coming from a Reign season ticket holder and 40 year Kings who would hate to see Fantenberg and/or MacDermid claimed. Most players pass through every year, despite the fans panic. But since both of them have NHL experience obviously that increases the chance a team looking for depth claims them. I get the vibe that Brickley is a pretty good talent. Likely better, just lacking experience than a few current defensemen on the Kings roster. It may not be the safest course, not even the most prudent, but I think they just may look at fielding the best roster regardless of practicality and waiving Fantenberg and MacDermid, likely on different days so they can make a decision for sure if the first guy going through is claimed or not. The only player I think they would have protected this year as far as a roster spot is Brodzinski, but that's a moot point now with his injury. We'll see how it plays out, but I still think Brickley stays unless his play is questionable in these last 4 games. And yes, I get the play vs 7th guy thing, but that's up to the staff. The other factor is you still have Walker, Clague, Roy and Lintuniemi who could be called up to fill the 7th D in case of injury during the season if we lost both D men to waivers.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'd be more bummed if we lost MacDermid to waivers than Fantenberg. MacDermid has shown tremendous improvement since we signed all those years ago where I never considered him a legit prospect. Plus his physicality is an aspect that is severely lacking on defense. Fantenberg is nothing special, we signed him for nothing and quite frankly would rather have our young defensemen get more minutes than him.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'd be more bummed if we lost MacDermid to waivers than Fantenberg. MacDermid has shown tremendous improvement since we signed all those years ago where I never considered him a legit prospect. Plus his physicality is an aspect that is severely lacking on defense. Fantenberg is nothing special, we signed him for nothing and quite frankly would rather have our young defensemen get more minutes than him.

That was my thought as well. I feel like MacDermid is unique and has more to learn, whereas Fantenberg is just a redundancy.

Reactions: Reaper45
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->