2018-19 International Breaks

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think keeping him on would make players weary of going to the nation team. I mean they are basically saying if you’re good you can do whatever the hell you want and that’s definitely not the way to run. I actually agree with Evilo here. I probably wouldn’t play him and just never call him up again.

No he can't do what he wants because of the suggestion of fines and suspensions. Some punishment is necessary but not a total breakdown of the relationship.

I guess it speaks to this generation if something is broken just toss it away instead of fixing it. :)

Well I wouldn't want him on my NT anymore. Like ever. So I'd be happy to block him from other NT too.
I've never seen a player asking for his bro to play on his NT and going on strike for it.
It's totally amazing.

Pretty sure Dos Santos tried the shit with his brother. Regardless, it can be handled much better than what you are suggesting.

He's not a child, and this type of behaviour and entitlement isn't a 'mistake'. It speaks volumes of his character and is extremely disrespectful to Jamaica.

He's 21...

Reactions: WhiskeySeven*

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
No he can't do what he wants because of the suggestion of fines and suspensions. Some punishment is necessary but not a total breakdown of the relationship.

I guess it speaks to this generation if something is broken just toss it away instead of fixing it. :)
You're gonna fine a guy some small amount of money (for him at least) or make him sit for games against St. Vincent and the Grenadines or El Salvador or Cuba? Like those are huge punishments. I don't think it's because he asked for his brother.

Was looking for more information about the situation and now I'm getting it.
Craig Butler hits back at Leon Bailey criticism over selection demands
Read this. I guess his brother was meant to be one of the best prospects coming from Jamaica.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Maybe Bailey was also simply having second thoughts about representing Jamaica. Trying to balance a club career in Europe with playing for a CONCACAF team can be challenging enough and with the apparent bad blood between his camp/family and the Jamaican football authorities...it seems like a legit bad idea. (It's also possible that his camp thought they could use the leverage of Bailey's decision to get their way with Jamaican authorities, but that didn't end up working as expected.)

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It also speaks volumes about the environment of football, not just in Jamaica, and the corruption and nepotism that is so rampant that he thought something like this could actually work.
I don't think it's just a football thing; I feel like the younger generations (or people in general) are becoming more and more entitled, and self absorbed. Society encourages it.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You're gonna fine a guy some small amount of money (for him at least) or make him sit for games against St. Vincent and the Grenadines or El Salvador or Cuba? Like those are huge punishments. I don't think it's because he asked for his brother.

Was looking for more information about the situation and now I'm getting it.
Craig Butler hits back at Leon Bailey criticism over selection demands
Read this. I guess his brother was meant to be one of the best prospects coming from Jamaica.

His reasons for acting like an idiot don't really matter what matters is how the situation is handled. He's still a bright talent and to cut ties with him after one incident is dumb. They have no tangible good reason to do so.

Since when is that a child? I wouldn't expect that kind of thing from a 14 year old, tbh.

He's barely old enough to drink in the states. He's a young dude and we all mature at different rates.

I don't think it's just a football thing; I feel like the younger generations (or people in general) are becoming more and more entitled, and self absorbed. Society encourages it.

Yes and no.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
His reasons for acting like an idiot don't really matter what matters is how the situation is handled. He's still a bright talent and to cut ties with him after one incident is dumb. They have no tangible good reason to do so.

He's barely old enough to drink in the states. He's a young dude and we all mature at different rates.

Yes and no.
The way it came off to me at first was that he just wanted to get his brother a payday. Now while inexcusable I think it’s too far to say that it was just for a payday.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He's still a bright talent and to cut ties with him after one incident is dumb.
So let me sum up.
If he was a poor player, you'd have no problem cutting ties with him, but since he's a "bright talent", they shouldn't.

See, that's the difference between us. No matter how talented the player is, he should not be selected if he has a poor attitude which is detrimental to the team. That's why France won WC without Cantona, Ginola or Benzema.

You might think it's dumb, but the fact is it's a proven record. Sometimes, getting rid of talented but detrimental elements to the collective spirit is actually a positive.

Maybe Argentina hasn't found the right formula on this.

Clearly Bailey whining before his very first selection is an amazing fact. Don't think I've ever heard that one before.

As for being generationnal, I seem to remember the 50s born generation doing great in the egomaniac system (pollution, exploitment) even though they fought the system themselves.

Reactions: Gecklund

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So let me sum up.
If he was a poor player, you'd have no problem cutting ties with him, but since he's a "bright talent", they shouldn't.

See, that's the difference between us. No matter how talented the player is, he should not be selected if he has a poor attitude which is detrimental to the team. That's why France won WC without Cantona, Ginola or Benzema.

You might think it's dumb, but the fact is it's a proven record. Sometimes, getting rid of talented but detrimental elements to the collective spirit is actually a positive.

Clearly Bailey whining before his very first selection is an amazing fact. Don't think I've ever heard that one before.

As for being generationnal, I seem to remember the 50s born generation doing great in the egomaniac system (pollution, exploitment) even though they fought the system themselves.

I mean, without having an opinion on which approach is better, I don't think comparing the situation to France is appropriate. France's D team would still be better than the teams lots of countries could put together. For a country like Jamaica one player with major talent could put the team somewhere completely else.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
But it's not (IMO) a question of the competitivity of the players or the team but a matter of principle.
The same thing applies to an amateur team.
Team spirit is essential and sometimes losing your best player because of character issues actually helps.
I compared to France because the issue happened last summer. Giroud over Benzema. That's quite something. Jamaica won't win the WC obviously with or without Bailey.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Jamaica is actually all about effort and playing as a team. At least in the past few years where they were successful in Concacaf.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So let me sum up.

Sorry for the late reply but I never said anything resembling this.

The difference but us is that you continue to put words in my mouth. :)

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I haven't been following the situation, but just as a hypothetical based on what a couple people posted here about the brother actually being a rising star - what if the brother isn't getting called up because they're trying to milk Bailly for money? Just an example of an equally conceivable explanation and why I don't like to rush to judgment on these things - you never know what the situation really is.

Reactions: Gecklund

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Then why insisting on his talents?
Those are YOUR words. YOU talked about his talents. I didn't.
As a reason why they should make amends... I mean if he's a shitty player and can't help even Jamica why bother calling him up but if he's good enough to play any role they should find other means.

It's pretty weird to even suggest otherwise really.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
So because he's good, they should make amends.

Pretty much what I said from the beginning.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So because he's good, they should make amends.

Pretty much what I said from the beginning.
because he's good enough to play for the team I.e why he's on there...if he wasn't good enough to play why call him up? Hence the suggestion that if a poor player does this, does not make sense. Because a poor player wouldn't get called up.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Rather interesting lineup for Argentina tomorrow. Still no Ascacibar in the starting 11... even though he's the best DM they have by far now that Bataglia is injured for awhile. Dybala starts AS A STRIKER it looks like anyway. With Martinez alongside him HF golden boy on the bench... clearly this means Martinez>Icardi

GunkWinger

Oct 21, 2008
CT
Brasil vs. Uruguay: all Brasil the 1st 20 minutes. Uruguay finally settled down but Brasil the better team the 1st 45 minutes.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Mauritania qualify for their first every AFCON, this is a team who's never been above 80th in the FIFA Rankings and is usually outside the top 100. Sure it helps CAF expanded the tournament but still an unexpected achievement, they finished above Angola and Burkina Faso, AFCON regulars (one of which will miss out)

Checked out their squad on wiki and as expected never heard of any of them, mostly a collection of French lower league players + African based players

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Madagasgar is another debutante.

Last tournament's hosts Gabon are in danger of missing out. Ghana, DR Congo and South Africa still need a result in their last match (Sierra Leone's faith might change Ghana's situation, though).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Ferland Mendy will get his first NT start tonight. :nod: Ndombele as well :yo:
Rami, who's been one of the worst L1 defenseman this year is also getting a start :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad