2018-19 International Breaks

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Went to the England game last night. Even though it was only a friendly I couldn't resist with it pretty close by. Hope they play more games around the country. Decent atmosphere but not a great performance or game overall. Surprised Vardy didn't use it as a farewell game, being at Leicester. Rashford and Rose the standouts for me.

John Pedro

Feb 6, 2014
São Paulo

Mexican Messi rules
tumblr_pexk01zek11tf8a5ao1_500.gif

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That was a terrible game, but its always important when we play Mexico. Beating them when our program is in turmoil is a huge win for us. I don't care if its a friendly where both teams were playing back ups. And while it was a bad game, we were the better team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Rumors say tomorrow will see Ndombele get his first senior NT selection. Well deserved.
Sakho should replace Rami (who should never be on the team), Zouma should be back too.
Finally, DD made the weird choice of picking Digne over F. Mendy to replace B. Mendy.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Rumors say tomorrow will see Ndombele get his first senior NT selection. Well deserved.
Sakho should replace Rami (who should never be on the team), Zouma should be back too.
Finally, DD made the weird choice of picking Digne over F. Mendy to replace B. Mendy.
Any word on Lacazette?

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Sancho, Mount and Maddison called up. Didn't think Southgate would but it's good to see. Mount should be in the PL.

Barkley, Chalobah and Winks are back. Alli, Lingard, RLC and Delph are injured. Will Hughes unlucky not to be called up seen as he's played every game for Watford and Chalobah has barely played.

Goalkeepers
Marcus Bettinelli, Jack Butland, Alex McCarthy, Jordan Pickford

Defenders

Trent Alexander-Arnold, Joe Gomez, Harry Maguire, Danny Rose, Luke Shaw, John Stones, James Tarkowski, Kieran Trippier, Kyle Walker

Midfielders

Ross Barkley, Nathaniel Chalobah, Eric Dier, Jordan Henderson, Mason Mount, Harry Winks

Forwards

Harry Kane, James Maddison, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling, Danny Welbeck

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Rebic and Kramaric will be back for Croatia vs England.
Hopefully Lovren will be fit enough to get some playing time as well.

The distaster in Spain aside, this side will be much closer to any sort of ideal starting-11 Croatia can put together at the moment.
(depending on the fitness of several players... Lovren... and Vrsaljko will likely be out, which is a massive hit)

With everyone fit:
Kalinic - Vrsaljko, Lovren, Vida, Pivaric - Modric, Brozovic, Rakitic - Rebic, Kramaric, Perisic

Without Vrsaljko (very likely):
Kalinic - Vida, Lovren, Mitrovic, Pivaric - Modric, Brozovic, Rakitic - Rebic, Kramaric, Perisic

Kovacic is getting quality playing time in Chelsea, but there's no way he'll start in place of any of the midfield 3.
Brozovic is already a top regista and is only getting better, it's amazing what Spaletti moving him to that role has done for him.

Brekalo, Vlasic and Caleta-Car would likely get invites, but are left out to be included in the deciding match of U-21 qualifying vs Greece.

I don't expect much from the game vs England, playing in front of an empty stadium has a way of draining energy out of both teams.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I don't expect much from the game vs England, playing in front of an empty stadium has a way of draining energy out of both teams.

I don't either, especially when Dalic basically said the Nations League doesn't matter (although with the way results are going Croatia could fall to Pot 2 in the upcoming Euro qualifying draw, which maybe won't be end of the world in a 24-team tournament but not ideal).

HNS is putting way too much emphasis on this U21 tournament, Suker has this fetish of wanting to qualify for the Olympics when we very well know the best players wouldn't be released for that tournament anyway :laugh: Qualifying for these U21 tournaments is not the be all end all, that generation under Ladic with Lovren, Rakitic, Vrsaljko, Vida, Kramaric, Perisic, Kalinic didn't qualify but there you go, practically a third of the World Cup finalists. If qualifying for the U21 Euros consistently meant anything then Serbia would be a top 5 team in the world by now

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So, Dybala is rumoured to be starting as a STRIKER with his partner being Martinez. I say he bags his first with the NT in under 20 minutes.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
End of the first half. Italy: 0 - Ukraine: 0

I have to say this is the best performance I've from the Italian side in a long time. They play very well, dominating possession, creative passes, crisp passing, defending well and creating chances.

Edit: Bernadeschi scored! 1-0 Italy

Edit: Lead was short lived. 1-1

Last edited:

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Leon Bailey just decided to play for Jamaica.

Jetzt doch: Bailey spielt für Jamaika

Always interesting to see what great talents do with lesser countries.
He wasn't eligible for any other country, right? Still, going to make CONCACAF qualifying all the more difficult. They're fairly clearly in the mix now. Not much of a midfield, but their defense, goalie, and now attackers should be fairly solid.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He wasn't eligible for any other country, right? Still, going to make CONCACAF qualifying all the more difficult. They're fairly clearly in the mix now. Not much of a midfield, but their defense, goalie, and now attackers should be fairly solid.

Couldn't play for England. Could've played for Germany, but not yet. Likely a few years wait.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Argentina were stuck on first gear for first half but came to live early in the second. Not surprising that's when Dybala start getting involved more and played more centrally. Had 2 good chances but thwarted by a great save and the other going just wide.

Martinez took his goal well for a guy that isn't really tall he gets some good air time and is powerful in the air. Other than that though he wasn't heavily involved in the build up play. Liked what I saw from Bustos, Paredes and Sylvio.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
At least the Brazil/Saudi Arabia friendly went off without any major incident or protest. Great tune up for the Brazilians.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Dybala can't make it as a striker because Icardi is better and has always been. Paulo is the most overrated player on this site and in the SA community.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad