Injury Report: 2018-19 Injury Thread

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Johnson has a terrible habit of coming back too early and never getting fully healthy. We have plenty of forwards. We should hold him out until he's 100%.

Wouldnt mind keeping him out for a bit to get healthy and we can get a little longer look at some of these kids.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Just Johnson in terms of getting hurt. I might throw some curveballs in midseason saying "playoff form" if the offense completely dries up

He only missed 1 game last year. 16 the year before and 13 the year before. Thats not too bad for a "injury prone" guy like Johnson.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
He only missed 1 game last year. 16 the year before and 13 the year before. Thats not too bad for a "injury prone" guy like Johnson.

Yeah, but the actual problem is how often he plays hurt, I think. So all those numbers are high, which is part of the problem, because he's injured a lot more than he takes time off. I'd rather him play 50 games and come healthy for the playoffs.

My guess though, is he'll be on the opening night roster and Jon Cooper will make some kind of warrior comment.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay

Almost no one got hurt last year including Johnson. We got very lucky in that regard. But roll the dice on any time since the wrist injury and we've wondered and speculated out loud if Johnson was not playing through some other lingering injuries numerous times -enough to where I'd count up to a dozen other instances.

He doesn't miss a lot of games but we wonder what's going on with him for long enough periods at a time

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Yeah, but the actual problem is how often he plays hurt, I think. So all those numbers are high, which is part of the problem, because he's injured a lot more than he takes time off. I'd rather him play 50 games and come healthy for the playoffs.

My guess though, is he'll be on the opening night roster and Jon Cooper will make some kind of warrior comment.

That sounds about right. Johnson seems to play through a lot

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Almost no one got hurt last year including Johnson. We got very lucky in that regard. But roll the dice on any time since the wrist injury and we've wondered and speculated out loud if Johnson was not playing through some other lingering injuries numerous times -enough to where I'd count up to a dozen other instances.

He doesn't miss a lot of games but we wonder what's going on with him for long enough periods at a time

The wrist injury remains the most revealing. Johnson didn't fully recover for something like a year, and even admitted that playing through the injury wasn't letting it heal (I believe he said he couldn't do a push up as of January, the following year), and it was only after getting another injury that he was finally forced to take the time off to allow the wrist to fully heal. He came back late that year and was clearly at a different level down the stretch.

To me, that's just unacceptable. I know players want to play, but somebody has to tell them "no." He should not have been playing through that injury. And I suspect this kind of thing has taken place multiple times.

Reactions: JDBolt

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

I agree. In the same vain, I wish we would do that with Callahan. Maybe even more so. Hes most valuable in the playoffs and he plays a playoff type game. Might be more valuable to put some kids out there to get regular season experience and have Cally come in around feb/march.

Reactions: AmbulanceChaser

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Yea hes just not the same player he was in 2015. I miss that Johnson.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I agree. In the same vain, I wish we would do that with Callahan. Maybe even more so. Hes most valuable in the playoffs and he plays a playoff type game. Might be more valuable to put some kids out there to get regular season experience and have Cally come in around feb/march.

Callahan should be required to take nights off, healthy or not. He's at the point in his career where we should be resting him. It happens to some guys earlier than others.

Shoresy Snipes

Give yer B's a T ya T F'r
May 6, 2017
Absolutely. Like sit every 4th or 5th game, or something like that. Include Coburn and Girardi in with him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
We were pretty lucky with injuries last year. That won't last.

I think we're a bit deeper up front though with some of the kids looking NHL-ready. Just feels like we can replace a scoring winger a lot more readily than in years past. I mean, certain players are obviously irreplaceable, but in general, we're one of the deeper teams in the league, if not the deepest. We could legitimately start the year with one of last year's 3rd lines (Killorn-Cirelli-Erne, or something similar) being this year's 4th.

Last edited:

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think we're a bit deeper up front though with some of the kids looking NHL-ready. Just feels like we can replace a scoring winger a lot more readily than in years past. I mean, certain players are obviously irreplaceable, but in general, we're one of the deeper teams in the league, if not the deepest. We could legitimately start the year with one of last year's 3rd lines (Killorn-Cirelli-Erne, or something similar) being this year's 4th.
Miller-Stamkos-Kucherov
Martel-Point-Gourde
Palat-Johnson-Joseph
Killorn-Cirelli-Erne

That would be fire, deep as hell, but idk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad