Injury Report: 2018-19 Injury Report - Where’s Kesler?

Who plays more games as a Duck this year?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I spoke with my guy in the Ducks and he said Kesler is skating and he would be very surprised if he didnt play this year but he doesnt have concrete info that Kesler is for sure playing. He will know more shortly. I will post more when I hear more.
Your username checks out.

We need more info from the inside

Magnus the Duck

Nov 7, 2014
Sweden
Kesler is a warrior, he will probably play. Just have to wonder on what level. If Eaves get a setback on the immunity disease, I have a feeling he will be out for the rest of this season too.

Reactions: Duck Off

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I look forward to Kesler being toast by Christmas when he's playing 20 minutes+ a night right away

Reactions: Duck Off

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I guess my issue was he was supposedly "ready" to play during last season and he looked like he was dragging a dead leg around the ice during games. I hope that is not the scenario we are looking at for him this year.
If he is as bad as last year he needs to be put out to pasture early on in the season. Last season Cogs and Silfverberg were playing 4 on 5 hockey a lot of shifts. I don’t think anyone here wants a repeat of that for another 80 games

We have so much money tied up in him that we have to give him a shot to get back to a productive player though

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I don’t think Kesler would be coming back if he was going to be playing at the same level as last year. He isn’t going to come back if he’s going to be a shell of his former self.

I’m not expecting the 58 point Kesler of two years ago but I think 35-45 points while being good defensively is a realistic expectation.

I hear ya, and that makes sense. But he did come back and did play at that level last year. His "warrior" mentality made him push through and play when he shouldn't have been. My questions is, has anything changed? Wouldn't he still be just as much of a warrior as he was last year? He came back as a shell of his former self last year already. What would make him do anything different this year?

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Plus there is the money factor. If he comes back and plays at last year's level, he is still playing and therefore getting paid. I would hope his pride would tell him to retire at that point but it is a tremendous amount of money he would be leaving on the table.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Plus there is the money factor. If he comes back and plays at last year's level, he is still playing and therefore getting paid. I would hope his pride would tell him to retire at that point but it is a tremendous amount of money he would be leaving on the table.

He wouldn’t retire he would be LTIRed which means he still gets every dollar he’s owed.

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
I need one of these type of contracts. Sign here at the office for 8 years, pull a hammy, then just stay home and get paid. I think I want to vote for that. How do I vote for that???

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
He wouldn’t retire he would be LTIRed which means he still gets every dollar he’s owed.

Assuming there is insurance, it wouldn’t affect the team much correct? The owners could choose to adjust the internal budget if they are still forced to pay Kes while he is on LTIR? Or maybe I just don’t understand the ramifications of insurance and LTIR.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Assuming there is insurance, it wouldn’t affect the team much correct? The owners could choose to adjust the internal budget if they are still forced to pay Kes while he is on LTIR? Or maybe I just don’t understand the ramifications of insurance and LTIR.
This was in Stephens' article from the other day:
If Kesler isn’t able to play in 2018-19 or beyond, that opens up a big salary. The Ducks could get back 80 percent of the $26.7 million still owed him through insurance and his $6.875-million cap number would be available to them via long-term injury reserve.

SirQuacksALot

A Garibaldi in Kelp
Mar 16, 2010
I need one of these type of contracts. Sign here at the office for 8 years, pull a hammy, then just stay home and get paid. I think I want to vote for that. How do I vote for that???

They've got a great union, that's for sure.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Kesler is a warrior, he will probably play. Just have to wonder on what level. If Eaves get a setback on the immunity disease, I have a feeling he will be out for the rest of this season too.
Eaves doesn't have GBS. He had a virus that attacked his organs. It's not something that anyone should be worried about going forward, at least as far as his future health. Whether he can return to anything resembling his previous level of play is another issue.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Eaves doesn't have GBS. He had a virus that attacked his organs. It's not something that anyone should be worried about going forward, at least as far as his future health. Whether he can return to anything resembling his previous level of play is another issue.

Yeah his shoulder injury he’s rehabbing from and the fact he lost a year of hockey at 33 are the worries. He will play this season it’s just a complete guess at how good he will be.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I hear ya, and that makes sense. But he did come back and did play at that level last year. His "warrior" mentality made him push through and play when he shouldn't have been. My questions is, has anything changed? Wouldn't he still be just as much of a warrior as he was last year? He came back as a shell of his former self last year already. What would make him do anything different this year?
He did progress quite a bit as the season went on last year. Hopefully he continues to progress with the time off.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
He did progress quite a bit as the season went on last year. Hopefully he continues to progress with the time off.
I feel like Kesler was quoted as saying that he wouldn't play if he felt like he did last year. I could be wrong but I thought that was said in either an interview with BM or with him directly.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
This is probably what you're referring to.

“Well, there’s a concern level,” Murray said. “Of course there is. But I think Kes has actually come out and said some things to a few people that if he feels as bad as he did this year, that he doesn’t know if he can play any more. Let’s face it, he wasn’t right this year and he tried to gut his way out of it. It was really hard.
“At some point in time, if this continues and nothing gets better … but he’s got to do right for him and his family. That’s the bottom line here."

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Yeah his shoulder injury he’s rehabbing from and the fact he lost a year of hockey at 33 are the worries. He will play this season it’s just a complete guess at how good he will be.

This and along with the fact that they still don't know what happened to him when he was misdiagnosed.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
This was in Stephens' article from the other day:

THANK YOU. God damn, I've been wanting an answer to this question since the season ended. it's sad that apparently I have to get it from a paywall or someone who's already paying for it.

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
Per The Athletic, BM hopes Eaves can get into an exhibition game at the end of camp. Still dealing with his shoulder issue. Said he is ahead of schedule but there are still some issues with the shoulder he has to overcome.

Also said he would have an update on Kesler on Thursday after the team takes their medicals.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Anyone counting on Eaves for more than 40 games and 5-10 goals is out of their mind...Been saying it since day 1. Anything more you get out of him, awesome.

It's a good thing we have Kase who can move up the lineup to Getzlaf's line if need be

Reactions: dracom

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
Anyone counting on Eaves for more than 40 games and 5-10 goals is out of their mind...Been saying it since day 1. Anything more you get out of him, awesome.

It's a good thing we have Kase who can move up the lineup to Getzlaf's line if need be
Agreed and hopefully by the end of the season we have a prospect ready to take over his ice time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad