Prospect Info: 2018-19 Flyers Prospects - Top 30 SKATERS, #26

Who is the Flyers #26 SKATER prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
True. I guess I actually meant him developing into a regular player instead of just making it. Will he ever be more than "4GP/season 0+0=0" kind of player? I doubt it.
You're probably right and that is what I weighed. I think he's better than a bunch of these guys, but I don't see him getting a legitimate shot here.

Reactions: JPS

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You're probably right and that is what I weighed. I think he's better than a bunch of these guys, but I don't see him getting a legitimate shot here.
I took a look at the Oilers board and they voted Marody at #9 for their prospects. And that list includes goalies.

Where would you, and others have him slotted in our list?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I took a look at the Oilers board and they voted Marody at #9 for their prospects. And that list includes goalies.

Probably 16-20ish for skaters and I'd take 3 goalies before him.

Reactions: Tripod

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

I don't totally agree with our list so I can't really compare it to that, but I'd have him in the 17-20 range or 20-23 with goalies.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013

I looked at some of their polls, and a handful of vocal posters have him in their top-5.

Magua

Clutchest Genes to Ever Gene
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

We've seen him longer, and he doesn't have that mystery box appeal. It's not like his counting numbers weren't solid. I remember you brought the same thing up with ZAR on Pittsburgh last year compared to Vecchione. I do think we are good at slotting prospects for the most part, but it's also a statement of our prospect pool.....

I mean these are their prospects after: Ostap Safin, William Lagesson, Filip Berglund, Dmitri Samorukov, Olivier Rodrigue, Joel Persson, Aapeli Rasanen, Philip Kemp, Cameron Hebig. It's hard to say he's not slotted fairly.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We've seen him longer, and he doesn't have that mystery box appeal. It's not like his counting numbers weren't solid. I remember you brought the same thing up with ZAR on Pittsburgh last year compared to Vecchione. I do think we are good at slotting prospects for the most part, but it's also a statement of our prospect pool.....

I mean these are their prospects after: Ostap Safin, William Lagesson, Filip Berglund, Dmitri Samorukov, Olivier Rodrigue, Joel Persson, Aapeli Rasanen, Philip Kemp, Cameron Hebig. It's hard to say he's not slotted fairly.
Oh I wasn't saying he wasn't. I was just wondering where others would have him on ours if he was still here.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I keep on picking Goulbourne because I think he has a chance to play some games - I just don't think any of these players will be regulars, so I am choosing the one who I think actually has a chance to get in a few games.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
Willcox could replace Alt as org depth righty D. Nothing flashy or anything but could play some NHL games as a 7/8 somewhere where there is less depth. At least he has an NHL sized body and is a RH shot. He also has experience as a pro. At this point anyone who could provide creditable depth should be mentioned.

I'd rate that higher than someone like Martel personally as he seems just too small and not fast enough to overcome that. The other guys who knows but I'd take the W's over Martel as well without knowing much about them. Neither has anything to disqualify them at least but with limited track record it's hard to put them ahead of someone who could play this season if there were a rash of injuries as Willcox could. Ceiling wise though, sure, they seem higher.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's only 5'8. I'm sure one of the bigger defensemen could probably beat him in a straight line race, but he's really quick and agile and fast.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I keep on picking Goulbourne because I think he has a chance to play some games - I just don't think any of these players will be regulars, so I am choosing the one who I think actually has a chance to get in a few games.

There's not a single thing, aside from fighting and hitting, that Goul does even half as well as Martel.

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet
I just didn't see it with Martel during his cameo. In any case what is the chance he ever comes up again with the depth of forward prospects on the Phantoms? He's pretty much done here but maybe he earned a look somewhere else with his hard work and good for him if he did.

I think someone who is likely a top 10 pro defender here is more important to the org than wherever martel ranks at this point amongst the glut of forwards and that should factor into the rankings. Willcox isn't exciting but he could be a solid depth option if they are again in a situation where 4 or more of their top 10 are injured.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Martel just shows how some overrate offensive skills in open ice relative to other hockey skills.

Because the only think Martel can do is skate and shoot (and he's not as fast as TK or probably Voracek).
Forget hitting, he can't avoid getting bumped off the puck in traffic, fight for a puck in the corners or along the boards, and isn't much of a back checker. He's willing, but there's no there there.
His primary skill is making plays in open ice, especially on breakaways, if an opposing defender catches up to him it's all over.

He's not small, he's painfully small, Johnny Gaudreau small without his exceptional skill package.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->