17. Ginning, Adam - 25%
18. Cates, Noah - 46%
19. Sushko, Maxim - 44%
20. Kalynuk, Wyatt - 54%
21. Bunnaman, Connor - 27%

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Voted Bernhardt. I think I prefer St.Ivany to him, but I don't want Laberge winning this one.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Twarnyski gets no respect, he clearly outplayed Bunnaman in his PD+2 year, he's faster, better suited to bottom six duties.
Watch him shine in the AHL over guys listed above him and get a call up this year.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
Doubtful any of these guys make the Flyers ever, maybe a dman grows into a role, but realistically the Flyers have too much depth and first round picks to come. I think Twarenski can play in the league given size, style, and skill set, I think he could be a solid 4th liner somewhere.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maybe, though when it comes to the 4th line, playing 8-10 minutes a night, it's more likely they'd want someone like Twarynski in that role and keep Ratcliffe and other more talented players in the AHL for a year or two playing major roles and refining their offensive skill package.
Ron has said he wants prospects playing every day, so I can see a two-tier path, top guys marinate in the AHL unless there's a top 9 spot open and they're deemed ready, guys like Twarynski and Sushko get a shot at 4th line duties and a chance to show they're worthy of more PT.

While fans want to see top prospects play right away, one advantage of depth is you can keep them in the AHL for a full season or longer, and bring them up when they're NHL ready and can play minutes in the top 9 or on defense. You see that on the Penguins, where their rookies were 22-24 years old for the most part and well seasoned before joining a SC contender (Maata, a top ten pick, was the exception that proves the rule).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Doubtful any of these guys make the Flyers ever, maybe a dman grows into a role, but realistically the Flyers have too much depth and first round picks to come. I think Twarenski can play in the league given size, style, and skill set, I think he could be a solid 4th liner somewhere.
I would take the over on one of these guys playing a game for the Flyers.

Impact guys? Likely not. But some of these guys have legit NHL potential. Mostly the defenseman remaining but I think they like Twarynski too. Westfalt is young and already playing pro hockey for a good club. Martel and Goulbourne have already played for the Flyers. :P

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Man, how LaBerge has fallen from being an expected first round pick to this.

Hopefully he proves us wrong. Maybe finally being in our organization we will be able to get out of him what we saw in 15-16.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Man, how LaBerge has fallen from being an expected first round pick to this.

That concussion was very unfortunate. I didn't watch him much at all before it, so I can't really say how much his play style changed, but I'm not a fan of the current Laberge.

He plays a junior style game, and should have an very difficult time transitioning to the pro-leagues. He simply isn't skilled enough for a top-6 role yet, and likely can't handle the physical style commonly seen among minor bottom-6 guys. I just can't see him ever being good enough to be on the Flyers considering his playstyle and the amount of competition that is already in front of him.

I'd much rather vote for Bernhardt, who hasn't been a disappointment and has a clearer path to an NHL spot. I'd also prefer Twarynski. He might not have much upside, but frankly it is still probably more than Laberge and he has a clear potential role and path to the NHL. Then there are the younger guys like St.Ivany, Wylie, Hain and Westfalt, all of whom have yet to disappoint and still have an mysterious quality about them. Maybe they will take large steps in development, maybe not. But, I'd much rather have those mystery boxes than Laberge.

Reactions: Chuck Downie

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
I would take the over on one of these guys playing a game for the Flyers.

Impact guys? Likely not. But some of these guys have legit NHL potential. Mostly the defenseman remaining but I think they like Twarynski too. Westfalt is young and already playing pro hockey for a good club. Martel and Goulbourne have already played for the Flyers. :P

With the prospect pool we have, I think they have a hard time reaching the Flyers. Goul and Martel came up because no one else was deemed ready. Goul filled a role, energy shift disturber, that the team felt was needed, and Martel was on fire when the Flyers were desperate for scoring. I don't foresee those situations in the future. I think Vech, Voro, and NAK get the call now. Twarenski because of size and skating could get a Vandevelde type role in a pinch I guess, next year their will be more talent to choose from, Allison, Ratcliffe, and Laczynski will be available and Frost will be with the big club for sure.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Laberge still possesses a pro level shot and pro level skating. Hes definitely a long term project, but who knows?

Reactions: Adtar02

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Laberge still possesses a pro level shot and pro level skating. Hes definitely a long term project, but who knows?

He definitely is a big project. His skating is good, but he lacks explosiveness. And as you said, he has a real nice shot. It is really a shame that he had to go through so much during his prime developmental years. Between that terrible concussion and his father battling cancer it must be really tough on an kid in his late teens. Maybe he will turn into something, maybe not. I'm just not sure the upside is there any more and I'd rather roll the dice on our 2018 draftees, Bernhardt and Twarynski.

Reactions: Rebels57

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
i know he has been down since his concusion but Laberge has some serious skills.
I have not written Laberge off yet, and neither has Hexy if you heard his comments after development camp. He's a big strong kid who can skate and has skill. The concussion really set him back but look at Laughton, took him two years to fully get his game back. We'll see how Pascal does this year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He'd still be with the organization, his upside hasn't disappeared, there's no multiple ligament knee destruction that destroyed his career, and he's not the first player to have his career progression set back due to a severe concussion. So it makes sense to see if he can turn it around.
However, if Laberge doesn't show much this year in the AHL, his future employment by the Flyers is probably in doubt.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
I wasn't a huge fan of the Laberge pick when it was made and even ranked Allison ahead of him the day we drafted these two. I feel really bad for him, but 2 years down the road it's not looking good for him. A scorer with too few tools to settle into a checking role if he can't cut it. His play at this point looks uninspired and timid. I hope he can overcome the major mental hurdle he's stuck at right now but I don't think anyone's taking that to the bank anymore.

That being said, I admittedly hated the Twarynski pick when it was made but he really put himself on the map this year after a nice display of grit and motor last fall in preseason, followed up by posting essentially as many goals in the CHL regular season as Laberge had in total points. With a clear path moving forward, I can't put Laberge above him. I'm also a bit enamored with a little blurb I read about him changing his headspace into making a name for himself as a guy with a wicked shot--The change came at the advice to him from Brayden Point's father and really paid off. He's managed to amass a small combo of skills that help him stick out in the role he projects to compete for.

It's optimistic but I liken his absolute upside and path similar to a guy like Josh Anderson. A player who came along slowly but has learnt to use his size effectively in control of the puck, skates quite well and has a wicked dangerous shot.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
That concussion was very unfortunate. I didn't watch him much at all before it, so I can't really say how much his play style changed, but I'm not a fan of the current Laberge.

He plays a junior style game, and should have an very difficult time transitioning to the pro-leagues. He simply isn't skilled enough for a top-6 role yet, and likely can't handle the physical style commonly seen among minor bottom-6 guys. I just can't see him ever being good enough to be on the Flyers considering his playstyle and the amount of competition that is already in front of him.

I'd much rather vote for Bernhardt, who hasn't been a disappointment and has a clearer path to an NHL spot. I'd also prefer Twarynski. He might not have much upside, but frankly it is still probably more than Laberge and he has a clear potential role and path to the NHL. Then there are the younger guys like St.Ivany, Wylie, Hain and Westfalt, all of whom have yet to disappoint and still have an mysterious quality about them. Maybe they will take large steps in development, maybe not. But, I'd much rather have those mystery boxes than Laberge.
Really it's a crap shot on some of these young men. I love me some Flyers but come on now this list is wacked.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Shocked the vote is so close. Laberge has shown nothing aside from being selected high. His offensive game has been abysmal and he has never had a reputation as a good two way player.

Bernhardt is a good prospect and a rhd to boot.

It really shouldn't be close. I guess some put alot of stock in draft position even two years later .

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Shocked the vote is so close. Laberge has shown nothing aside from being selected high. His offensive game has been abysmal and he has never had a reputation as a good two way player.

Bernhardt is a good prospect and a rhd to boot.

It really shouldn't be close. I guess some put alot of stock in draft position even two years later .
I voted Bernhardt. And I certainly wasn’t on the Bunny train, which seems name based as much as anything. But I do think all these guys are in the same tier. If someone likes Laberge’s physical skills, I can’t teally argue much against voting him over Bernhardt or Bunnaman or Twarynski.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
I voted Bernhardt. And I certainly wasn’t on the Bunny train, which seems name based as much as anything. But I do think all these guys are in the same tier. If someone likes Laberge’s physical skills, I can’t teally argue much against voting him over Bernhardt or Bunnaman or Twarynski.

I really don't see anything in laberge . He got hot before his draft and they picked a riser. Other than that burst of production before his draft he has been a nothing. Maybe he looks the role but he has not produced the results for an extended period ever .

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I really don't see anything in laberge . He got hot before his draft and they picked a riser. Other than that burst of production before his draft he has been a nothing. Maybe he looks the role but he has not produced the results for an extended period ever .

Yes, I’m not arguing. I just think everything is so close at this point that I’m not going to quibble.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->