• Wylie, Wyatte

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It’s not crazy but you can’t put too much stock into the WJC. He played for Belarus. He was playing 25 minutes a game which is absurd usage for a forward. And he got a bunch of points in the relegation round. I have Sushko in this tier of players, but I think his potential is a high end 4th liner (I’ve thought this since before the infamous Hextall comments).
As do I. In no way was I saying all that and also voting him in as a top 10 prospect. I just think that he deserves credit for playing at levels above what others have been able to reach. Especially since he played well at those levels.

Reactions: flyersfan187

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Kalynuk's stats in his final USHL year were pretty good given league scoring levels and him being a Dman.

People often just see USHL and think CHL level stats, but scoring is lower.

Only 10 Dmen in the league got over 0.50 PPG in 16-17. He was 7th overall, 5th amongst guys his age and younger

In terms of his stats in college this year.

PP: 2g, 12a
EV: 1g, 10a

Is what he put up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s not crazy but you can’t put too much stock into the WJC. He played for Belarus. He was playing 25 minutes a game which is absurd usage for a forward. And he got a bunch of points in the relegation round. I have Sushko in this tier of players, but I think his potential is a high end 4th liner (I’ve thought this since before the infamous Hextall comments).

Magua can chime in, but from what I saw he’s a big, well balanced skater, with good edgework as was mentioned. He’s just not quick twitch or particularly fast. The hope is that this is a kid that had a late growth spurt and maybe he’s doing some catch up in terms of his physical development.

Yeah, this is my line of thinking on Sushko as well. Pretty damn good prospect for where we are in our rankings though.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Kalynuk's stats in his final USHL year were pretty good given league scoring levels and him being a Dman.

People often just see USHL and think CHL level stats, but scoring is lower.

Only 10 Dmen in the league got over 0.50 PPG in 16-17. He was 7th overall, 5th amongst guys his age and younger

In terms of his stats in college this year.

PP: 2g, 12a
EV: 1g, 10a

Is what he put up.
That’s true, but he was still a 19 year old playing in the USHL. How many defensemen his age in the USHL in 16/17 are considered legit NHL prospects?

That said, his numbers for Wisconsin were good. Granted, he was a freshman at an age most are sophomores or juniors, but it was still encouraging for a 7th rd. pick. I don’t begrudge anyone for preferring one prospect over another in this tier of players who are likely to be role playing NHLers on the off chance they make it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, the fact that we're arguing how to rank #19-22, all of whom have legitimate shots at making the NHL, is a bit of an improvement over say five years ago, when we'd be arguing over #9-10, who were both marginal NHL prospects.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
Actually, the fact that we're arguing how to rank #19-22, all of whom have legitimate shots at making the NHL, is a bit of an improvement over say five years ago, when we'd be arguing over #9-10, who were both marginal NHL prospects.

Very true - It wasnt long ago that NAK was considered one of our very best prospects ...

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I think you're overrating Kalynuk because like a lot of people here, you overrate offensive skills in defense.
Kalynuk's USHL stats at 19 aren't very impressive, which makes a one year jump in college at 20 more suspect.
60g 6-25 31 +3
Friedman was more impressive in his last USHL season. 51g 10-30 40 +22 at 18 years old.
Friedman pretty much flatlined after a solid freshman year, so let's see what Kalynuk does.
Kalynuk freshman season: 37g 3-22 25 -11 v Friedman's sophomore year: 42g 6-17 23 +8
The difference in +/- could be a fluke, or a reflection of different roles, Kalynuk scoring more b/c he was being more aggressive.
Or because most of Kalynuk's scoring is assists, generous scorers, what were his P1 numbers?

Ginning is not going to put up big numbers, but at 18 he was starting 28 SHL and 7 SHL PO games, a level well above the NCAA.

If Kalynuk builds on his freshman year, I'll take him more seriously. But right now I see him more as a flash in the pan.

Have you watched 1 game of Kalynuk?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Have you watched 1 game of Kalynuk?

tenor.gif

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
There is someone who made the WJC in their draft+1 season AND played well there. And was a PPG in the OHL.

Meanwhile Bunny was worse statistically in his draft +2 season than his previous season.

He doesn't deserve top 20. He might be #23...
I hope for the best for us as fans go but really the young man does nothing for me. Prove me wrong bunny.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I like to work out watching the games, but I'm married, which means I'm subject to interruptions, plus I HATE commercials, so by watching with a time delay, I fast forward through commercials and between period inanities by homer commentators.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->