NAK-Vorobyev-Laczynski
Kase-

Morin-Myers
Hogberg-

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Going to round out our prospect top four with Friedman (which was where I was expecting to vote next anyway).

Reactions: Curufinwe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I got to go with Lycksell.
At 18, he was ppg in Superelit, which is probably similar to CHL/USHL. Good but not outstanding.
Then he gets promoted to the SHL and puts up 5 goals, 7 points, in 26 games. Holds his own with men.
Just looking at him, he's physically a late bloomer (should really fill out the next couple years) yet is already playing a regular SHL shift.
What jumps out is how he's steadily improved the last two years, jumping three levels in Sweden.
So I'd have to think in terms of upside he's above anyone left.
And Appleyard likes him.

Reactions: flyersfan187

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
My problem with Kalynuk is he turned 21 in April, so while he may have been a freshman, he had a "junior body."
That is, he's not a kid holding his own against players 2-3 years older than him, or against men.
A lot of mediocre college players put up good numbers in their junior and senior years when they're older than most of their peers.
So I discount his performance on those grounds and expect him to not merely hold his own this season but dominate.

In fact, Friedman was about the same age as a junior in college a season ago.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Went Noah Cates. Solid year in USHL as a “rookie”, got bigger and stronger which allowed him to finish fantastically. Going to the defending NCAA champs, not some Joe Schmo team.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
Not exactly a sexy pick but I'm confident that the Flyers will get a solid player in Adam Ginning. Might take up to 5 years until he arrives, but he will get there.

Reactions: Pantokrator

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
I went with Cates. Most of us probably aren't informed enough to be voting at this point haha.

That's why I went with Strome. I haven't seen Ginning, Cates or Lycksell in person. I've only seen Kalynuk once.

I like Friedman, and think he's got a higher floor than Strome, but if I think Strome might have a higher ceiling if he can work on his skating, which we all know is horrible.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
My problem with Kalynuk is he turned 21 in April, so while he may have been a freshman, he had a "junior body."
That is, he's not a kid holding his own against players 2-3 years older than him, or against men.
A lot of mediocre college players put up good numbers in their junior and senior years when they're older than most of their peers.
So I discount his performance on those grounds and expect him to not merely hold his own this season but dominate.

In fact, Friedman was about the same age as a junior in college a season ago.

Not all players follow the same development curve. Some take longer to adapt to physical changes and Kalynuk could be one of those guys. I could be wrong, but I'm fairly confident you haven't seen much of him. And to say he only "held his own" makes me discount your opinion. He was the best defenseman on Wisconsin and consistently improved throughout the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad