ECHL Affiliations

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
that's the contract signed when the Kings sold the franchise to local ownership, js, the affiliation remains there, where would they go if you only have 27 teams, that stipulation remains intact. you're mixing Florida up with LA, SINCE Springfield is the Panthers affiliate, just as they have been since 2015, before Arizona bought the Falcons....

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
that's the contract signed when the Kings sold the franchise to local ownership, js, the affiliation remains there, where would they go if you only have 27 teams, that stipulation remains intact. you're mixing Florida up with LA, SINCE Springfield is the Panthers affiliate, just as they have been since 2015, before Arizona bought the Falcons....

As we have all seen before, this situation could change TOMORROW. It doesn't matter what the contract says. It doesn't matter what you say. It doesn't matter what the teams say. Words like can't, wont and never do not apply in the ECHL. We have seen affiliation cancelled during the season just last year. We have seen teams break affiliation contracts nearly every year. We have seen teams break their leases nearly every other year. We have seen teams relocate or fold all the time. If you want to make an argument that something is not going to happen, that's fine. But telling people they are wrong based on these criteria is incorrect, as it has been proven time and time again.

Look, all you have to do is re-phrase your response. Add some "I think" and "In my opinion". Say something like "They have a 3 year contract, so UNLESS THEY BREAK IT, they probably won't be going anywhere". Otherwise people will keep calling you out on it. In my opinion.........

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Is there any reason to get anything in writing in the ECHL or could all the league business be conducted on a handshake basis with no real effect?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
i stand by what i said There are Clearly problems with Manchester it is a great hockey market but there attendance numbers are no where close to their AHL levels there closer to the Chicago Express which folded after one season
Chicago Express yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Last edited:

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
Reactions: Js96er

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
There's a lot more going on than just affiliate issues. While a change in an affiliate could help, it doesn't appear the "new" ownership has done much more to get people into the arena.
Boston might become available in the future they whould probably never choose Worcester because of providence so Manchester whould be the most likely option for a New England echl bruins affiliate

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Boston might become available in the future they whould probably never choose Worcester because of providence so Manchester whould be the most likely option for a New England echl bruins affiliate
Boston easily could choose Portland, like they attempted to pre 1977, and 1988-92, js, it depends on who acquires Atlanta, if the rumblings there expire as stated, and if the Gladiators stay, Nashville is there should Boston move north, after what Norfolk went through last December, and why Nashville landed the secondary affiliate nod.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
The Cleveland Monsters have sent three players to the ECHL this season, all to the Jacksonville IceMen.

TheAHL.com

Is this enough of a pattern to establish Columbus/Jacksonville as an unofficial "secondary" affiliation?

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
ESTERO, Fla. (May 24, 2019) — Florida Everblades President and General Manager Craig Brush announced today that the team has entered into an affiliation agreement with the NHL’s Nashville Predators.
The Everblades will serve as a developmental affiliate for the Predators and their primary developmental affiliate, the American Hockey League’s Milwaukee Admirals, starting with the 2019-20 season.
“We are thrilled to have the Nashville Predators as our new NHL affiliate,” Brush said. “Nashville’s President of Hockey Operations and General Manager David Poile has done a remarkable job developing an expansion franchise into one of the most prominent teams in the NHL. We are looking forward to becoming an integral part of the development of players for the Predators and Milwaukee Admirals.”
Founded in the same year as the Everblades in 1998, the Predators have become a strong force in the Western Conference over the last five seasons and have qualified for the postseason in each of those campaigns. After falling short of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in their first five seasons since joining the NHL as an expansion franchise, the Predators have now advanced to the postseason in 12 of the last 15 seasons.

Since joining the ECHL for the 1998-99 season, the Everblades have been the ECHL affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes, which are owned in part by Peter Karmanos Jr., the owner of the Everblades. In that time, 33 Everblades players have gone on to play in the NHL.

“We are incredibly grateful to the Hurricanes for their support over the past 21 seasons,” Brush said. “The stability and consistency of such a long-lasting, mutually beneficial relationship played a key role in our success, and we cannot thank the Hurricanes enough for being such a great partner with the Everblades.”
Like the Everblades, the Predators are coming off the best two-year stretch in team history. Poile, the winningest GM in NHL history, has helped direct Nashville to 100 combined wins over the last two seasons, a win total that is tied for the highest two-year win mark in team history.

Under the direction of fifth-year Head Coach Peter Laviolette, the Predators repeated as Central Division champions in the 2018-19 season. Nashville compiled a 47-29-6 record this year, posting at least 45 wins for the seventh time in team history. The division championship was the second in team history.

Last season, the Predators put together the best regular season in team history and set records for most wins (53) and points (117) in a season. Nashville went on to capture its first President’s Trophy, which is awarded to the NHL team with the most points in the regular season. That season came on the heels of the first Stanley Cup Finals appearance in team history in the 2016-17 season.
Nashville has been part of a development model that has seen a multitude of players advance to the NHL from the ECHL. In total, 661 ECHL alumni have gone on to play in the NHL. Of those players, 44 have played for Nashville. Three Everblades alumni have suited up for the Predators, a trio that includes Matt Hendricks, Shane Hnidy and Jason Morgan.
The connection between the two teams runs back several years. Nashville’s rookies have attended the NHL Prospects Showcase at Hertz Arena on several occasions. The Predators also hosted their main training camp at the venue in 2013.

The Everblades are coming off the third-highest regular season win total in team history after totaling a 50-16-5-1 mark in the 2018-19 campaign. Florida qualified for the playoffs for the 20th time in team history and advanced to the Eastern Conference Final for the second straight year and sixth time total in franchise history.

About the Florida Everblades
Since their inception in 1998, the Florida Everblades have established a reputation as one of the premier organizations in the ECHL. The ‘Blades have been a consistent force on the ice, advancing to the playoffs in 20 of their 21 seasons. Florida also has quite an impressive trophy case, claiming the Brabham Cup three times for the best regular season record in the ECHL, winning four conference titles and seven division titles, and capturing the 2012 Kelly Cup. Through 21 seasons, 33 Blades players have advanced to the NHL. In addition to building a winning tradition, the Everblades have also built a big following throughout Southwest Florida and have finished in the top five in the ECHL in attendance in 14 of their 21 seasons, including five seasons of leading the league in attendance. For more information about the Florida Everblades visit www.floridaeverblades.com.

Source: EVERBLADES ENTER AFFILIATION WITH NASHVILLE PREDATORS

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I'd like Cincinnati to finally hook up with Columbus and give them a 2-team farm system fully in-state.

This could open the doors for the owners of the Syracuse Crunch and Orlando Solar Bears to swap franchises which would mean the ECHL Solar Bears become the ECHL Crunch, and vice-versa in the AHL. The ECHL Crunch can become the new ECHL affiliate of Buffalo, making for a nice journey along I-90 towards the NHL.

Reactions: Lo97

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
I'd like Cincinnati to finally hook up with Columbus and give them a 2-team farm system fully in-state.

This could open the doors for the owners of the Syracuse Crunch and Orlando Solar Bears to swap franchises which would mean the ECHL Solar Bears become the ECHL Crunch, and vice-versa in the AHL. The ECHL Crunch can become the new ECHL affiliate of Buffalo, making for a nice journey along I-90 towards the NHL.
Syracuse would Be better off waiting for a ECHL expansion team or going dormant if the crunch leave. Instead of receiving the relocated echl solar bears.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
A Swap in markets between a echl and ahl team are usually heavily one sided in favor of the AHL Team, Syracuse would Be better off waiting for a ECHL expansion team or going dormant if the crunch leave. Instead of receiving the relocated echl solar bears.
Based on your grammar your opinion makes no sense. Can you clarify, please?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Based on your grammar your opinion makes no sense. Can you clarify, please?
What i meant to say was usually a long time AHL Fanbase is indifferent to a ECHL team unless Its built from the ground up like Worcester and Portland. Considering how Norfolk and Manchester reacted i doubt the reaction in Syracuse would be much different.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine

I don't see how this opens the door to the AHL going towards the south. Syracuse, Springfield, and Utica have all been praised by their respective NHL teams in Tampa, Florida, and Vancouver. Some of the listed benefits include easy travel in the AHL Eastern Conference and the prospect development advantages that provides. Every in-conference game except for Charlotte is a short to medium-length road trip. Prospects sleep in their own bed each night, spend more time at the gym and on the ice rather than on the bus or in an airport.

Having Tampa put their AHL team in Orlando would change their closest trip from a 1 hr Utica trip to an 8 hr bus trip to Charlotte. Even if Florida puts their AHL team in the south, which is unlikely considering the Thunderbirds are locally owned and have vocally claimed they'll never sell, it puts two teams on a geographic island. I think they'll take the improved prospect development over easy call-ups. This is increased considering how Tampa is reliant upon the development of players, given how Palat, Gourde, Connacher, Cirelli, Paquette, Vasilevsky and many other roster players have played respectable amounts of time in Syracuse. In addition, Springfield is 20 minutes away from Bradley International, which has all-day non-stop 3 hr flights to Fort Lauderdale and Miami, so callups aren't an issue there. I don't see it changing in the future.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
The AHL is never going south of the Mason/Dixon line beyond Carolina. The Carolina Monarchs (remember them?) and Charlotte Checkers are pretty much as far south as the AHL are willing to go in the league, so we'll never see the league in Florida or Georgia.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

If and when the Buffalo affiliation is ended, then it would be an appropriate time for the Cyclones to consider a CBJ affiliation. The Buffalo/Rochester affiliation is working quite well. The Cyclones won the Brabham Cup (best regular season record) and averaged over 5000 in the arena for the first time as an ECHL team in 16 years at US Bank Arena. From what I've seen, the CBJ haven't very focused on their ECHL affiliate in terms of player support over the past several years. That would be a huge negative for the Cyclones.

I think that a Columbus-Cincinnati affiliation would help the CBJ more than the Cyclones. Most Cyclones fans are out for a night of entertainment (on weekends) or beer drinking ($1 beer weekday games) and couldn't name 5 Cyclones players or their coaching staff. I doubt more than 20% of those in the building on any given night could name 5 CBJ players.

Perhaps a CBJ affiliation would give the Cyclones a bit more local media coverage and could open up some cross marketing opportunities for the team which would be beneficial. I think that the CBJ would benefit from added exposure which would help their merchandising sales in the Cincinnati area and give their television ratings in the area a boost as well. Given what I know about the Cyclones, I don't even know if they'd welcome CBJ apparel being sold in US Bank Arena. I didn't see any Buffalo Sabres items or Nashville items over the past several years. The Cyclones have been pretty much focused on branding themselves and not their affiliate relations.

All that said, affiliations at the ECHL level are usually rapidly changing. At some point I'd think that a Cyclones/CBJ affiliation will come about.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad