ECHL Affiliations

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Yep. Sometimes a primary (only), others primary and secondary.

They've never had two affiliations at the same time that I'm aware of.

Phoenix RoadRunners 2007-08 and 2008-09, Kalamazoo Wings 2009-10 (didn't last the full season), Stockton Thunder (really started with the remainder of 09-10 but there was no official affiliation) 2010-11 to 2011-12, SF Bulls 2012-13 to 2013-14 (Bulls folded midseason so SJ farmed out their players but never affiliated with any of those teams), Allen Americans 2014-15 to now.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Gotta go back before that.

Secondary ECHL affiliations: 00-01 New Orleans Jazz. 02-03 ECHL Cincinnati Cyclones. 03-04, 04-05 ECHL Johnstown Chiefs. ECHL Toledo Storm 05-06.

(And the primaries:

Primary ECHL affiliation: ECHL Allen Americans 14-15 to present
Primary ECHL affiliation: San Francisco Bulls 12-13 and 2013-Jan14 (until franchise folded)
Primary ECHL affiliation: Stockton Thunder 09-10 to 11-12 (started out as secondary affiliation for 2nd half of 09-10; full affiliation 10-11)
Primary ECHL affiliation: Kalamazoo Wings 09-10
Primary ECHL affiliation: Phoenix Roadrunners 07-08 to 09-10
Primary ECHL affiliation: Fresno Falcons 03-04, 04-05, 05-06, 06-07
Primary ECHL affiliation: Richmond Renegades 98-99, 99-00? unknown not listed in media guide; 00-01, 01-02, 02-03.
)

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Fort Wayne Komets might be affiliating with Las Vegas according to this news source. They also mention Nashville is going elsewhere.

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Stars announce two-year extension with ECHL affiliate Idaho Steelheads

cut.jpg

Source: Stars announce two-year extension with ECHL affiliate Idaho Steelheads

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
So in terms of the SJ Sharks and Allen Americans, other than musings from a blogger in May, do we know who left who? Is it Allen wanting another NHL affiliate or the Sharks wanting a different ECHL affiliate?

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
So in terms of the SJ Sharks and Allen Americans, other than musings from a blogger in May, do we know who left who? Is it Allen wanting another NHL affiliate or the Sharks wanting a different ECHL affiliate?

I know that the blogger you mentioned had at one point quoted Steve Martinson as saying he was disappointed in the affiliation last year. Which was surprising to me. It seemed like it was a very successful relationship. My guess is Martinson didn't get the results he wanted the last 2 years (championships) and is looking for something else.

Hurricane Ron

Jul 23, 2015
Tulsa
Yes, the folks in Allen act as if winning a championship is the norm, and anything else is not acceptable. Don't get me wrong. Every team in whatever league should be pursuing the championship. I think the folks in Allen got a bit spoiled though, and have yet to realize that its impossible to win it every year. I'm curious if this upcoming change isn't them biting off their nose to spite their face. Their relationship with San Jose has been spectacular. Time will tell if this is a case of be careful what you wish for.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
That's the thing, I wonder if this Allen done with the Sharks, not Sharks done with Allen. I've heard conflicting things.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Yes, the folks in Allen act as if winning a championship is the norm, and anything else is not acceptable. Don't get me wrong. Every team in whatever league should be pursuing the championship. I think the folks in Allen got a bit spoiled though, and have yet to realize that its impossible to win it every year. I'm curious if this upcoming change isn't them biting off their nose to spite their face. Their relationship with San Jose has been spectacular. Time will tell if this is a case of be careful what you wish for.

Eventually every city/team involved with San Jose's minor league hockey operations gets sick of them. This is just situation normal as far as I'm concerned.

Growler

May 16, 2018
Offhand that'd be Fort Wayne, Greenville, Orlando, and Rapid City.

And NHL teams without an ECHL affiliate are Anaheim, Columbus, Florida, Nashville, Ottawa, San Jose, Tampa Bay, and Vegas.
It's only a matter of time before there will be 31 (and 32 with Seattle) ECHL affiliates.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It's only a matter of time before there will be 31 (and 32 with Seattle) ECHL affiliates.

THE ECHL isn't there, Growler, again, it goes back to the philosophy of each organization and do you really want NHL franchises to infilitrate the ECHL ie ownership the way they have shifted the AHL TO where the POINT IS local ownership is in name only, not the affiliation, where's the balance between the two....

honestly where would you place the 4 or 5 markets that would balance the 3 leagues and knowing how hard it is on the ECHL level, as we saw with Deacon trying to establish the Growlers....

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
So what ECHL teams don't have an affiliate for the next season yet?

Fort Wayne, Greenville, Orlando, Rapid City and are the teams who don't have anything.

Brampton, Cincinnati, Kalamazoo, Manchester (assumed), Toledo and Wheeling all have expired affiliation agreements, but most of those will probably be renewed for next season.

Brampton is rumored to affiliate with Ottawa next season.

Reactions: slue

Growler

May 16, 2018
THE ECHL isn't there, Growler, again, it goes back to the philosophy of each organization and do you really want NHL franchises to infilitrate the ECHL ie ownership the way they have shifted the AHL TO where the POINT IS local ownership is in name only, not the affiliation, where's the balance between the two....

honestly where would you place the 4 or 5 markets that would balance the 3 leagues and knowing how hard it is on the ECHL level, as we saw with Deacon trying to establish the Growlers....

From ECHL commissioner Brian McKenna in 2016:

The league is at 27 teams now, and "the immediate goal" is to get to 30 during the next 12 to 18 months to match the current totals in the NHL and AHL.
"We want to get to that 30-team model and keep it there, but we have a lot of teams now that have been in existence for 15, 20, 25 years in their current markets," McKenna said. "Even smaller markets, places like Wheeling, West Virginia, have been in our league and have been valued members for many years. I think [team movement] is a function of minor league sports. … If better opportunities, newer facilities become available, then there will always be some movement at the margins, but certainly a lot less than we've seen in the last couple of decades." Regardless, the NHL and AHL clearly value the ECHL as a developmental league. ECHL teams have affiliations with 26 of the NHL's 30 teams and 26 of the AHL's 30 teams.

ECHL grows into starting point toward NHL

CHRDANHUTCH, I am getting a little tired of you responding to my posts with a patronizing, correcting tone. It is especially annoying when the majority of your "corrective" posts are wrong (other posters usually make sure of that) and often barely intelligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad