2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Anybody has info on Geertsen and Shvyryov? How are they playing?

I see Geertsen has 7 pts in 22 games and is +8 while everybody else are minus players. +/- is not a very good stat but Is he finally starting to put it together or is he being sheltered? What are the D pairings normally?
Three of those seven points for Geertsen came in one game.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Anybody has info on Geertsen and Shvyryov? How are they playing?

I see Geertsen has 7 pts in 22 games and is +8 while everybody else are minus players. +/- is not a very good stat but Is he finally starting to put it together or is he being sheltered? What are the D pairings normally?
The D pairings have changed a lot in the last couple of months because guys have been in and out of the lineup. Also pairings are more fluid in the AHL. Warsofky has been out for a while, when he plays he was what you'd say was the top pair with Alt, who is obviously gone now too. They had the Justin Falk experience for a bit, which settled into a pair with Meloche. The last couple weeks it's been consistent with what's available:

Lindhom-Davis
Graves-Meloche
Geertsen-Boikov

Yes, that's AHL contracted Kevin Davis called up from the ECHL. He's been up for 5 games and has contributed on about 20% of their PP goals. Josh Anderson was called up too but he hasn't got in a game yet. Those pairs are about as sensible and balanced as its been. There was also a weekend they tried Lindhom on the point on the pp, not good.

On Geertsen, it's a bit of both. He's settled in but he still just looks like a third pair guy at best to me. Some points are luck, some are he's shooting and can make a half decent pass. I don't love his mobility or d zone coverage still but what he's got going is working for him. He was with Meloche for a bit too, they both had good +/- then.

Yeah Shvyrev has been on the 4th line with mostly grinders. The combo with Bass and Barron actually isn't bad and they get used as a shutdown line sometimes. But when he gets to play with skill guys like Lewis for one game and they create a goal you hope for more of that. This last week they finally figured out to put him on the pp but no goals yet, their pp is abysmal but it's a step in the right direction. I think Igor is coming along but he has to work on getting his shot more accurate. He gets a lot of good chances but aren't even close to going in and he loses possession too much. Otherwise I like his game. If you haven't seen the Eagles social media posts on Igor, boy is he a treasure.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The D pairings have changed a lot in the last couple of months because guys have been in and out of the lineup. Also pairings are more fluid in the AHL. Warsofky has been out for a while, when he plays he was what you'd say was the top pair with Alt, who is obviously gone now too. They had the Justin Falk experience for a bit, which settled into a pair with Meloche. The last couple weeks it's been consistent with what's available:

Lindhom-Davis
Graves-Meloche
Geertsen-Boikov

Yes, that's AHL contracted Kevin Davis called up from the ECHL. He's been up for 5 games and has contributed on about 20% of their PP goals. Josh Anderson was called up too but he hasn't got in a game yet. Those pairs are about as sensible and balanced as its been. There was also a weekend they tried Lindhom on the point on the pp, not good.

On Geertsen, it's a bit of both. He's settled in but he still just looks like a third pair guy at best to me. Some points are luck, some are he's shooting and can make a half decent pass. I don't love his mobility or d zone coverage still but what he's got going is working for him. He was with Meloche for a bit too, they both had good +/- then.

Yeah Shvyrev has been on the 4th line with mostly grinders. The combo with Bass and Barron actually isn't bad and they get used as a shutdown line sometimes. But when he gets to play with skill guys like Lewis for one game and they create a goal you hope for more of that. This last week they finally figured out to put him on the pp but no goals yet, their pp is abysmal but it's a step in the right direction. I think Igor is coming along but he has to work on getting his shot more accurate. He gets a lot of good chances but aren't even close to going in and he loses possession too much. Otherwise I like his game. If you haven't seen the Eagles social media posts on Igor, boy is he a treasure.

God I am glad you have decided to come around more.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Good God...Lindholm on the point with the man-advantage? Ugh.

On one hand, I can kinda see why. Dude was mobile enough and a decent-enough puckhandler that he was able to create some space and get shots through traffic the brief time he was in Colorado last season. I believe he even got a goal for his trouble. He also doesn't take forever to wind up a shot, but that goes both ways--he's unable to generate any real power behind it either.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
So Greer sent down after what 5 games w limited time in each. Does anyone know what his major flaws are? I don’t see him any worse that than the other roster tweeners and he seems to have a much much shorter leash.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So Greer sent down after what 5 games w limited time in each. Does anyone know what his major flaws are? I don’t see him any worse that than the other roster tweeners and he seems to have a much much shorter leash.

The only thing he failed at this last time was not being a center. Colin Wilson was failing miserably in the role and so they opted to call up Sheldon Dries instead. To his credit Bednar gave him props and admitted he didn't us him as much as he would've liked because the team has either had to play from behind or has been blowing leads.

As I said in another thread (or maybe this one, I don't know if he'll ever get a real look until they actually clear someone off the roster first. He can't just be a fill-in, they gotta give him a legit shot with legit minutes or they just need to send him somewhere else.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Jared really doesnt like him. I thought Greer looked good in the Dallas game and his reward was to get sat in favor of Guy Carboneau the second Bork.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

As others have said, Bednar doesn't like him as well as having little confidence in the NHL. He had a few nice shifts in the Dallas game and looked like he was finding his stride, but then he took a weak penalty and got benched.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The problem with Greer is simple. There is just no place for him. He needs to be in a 2nd line wing type. Unfortunately he isn't ready for that role in the NHL.

We can bring him up but unless coach is willing to break up the Soderberg line which he won't and play Greer in a 3rd line role to start, Greer is forced to line 4 because he isn't ready for line 2. And we already play line 4 minimally no matter who is on that line.

Greer is better than guys like Dries, Bourque, Nieto and possibly Calvert, but coach trusts them more than Greer. Is it fair? Not really but that is the reality and this situation happens all around the league.

So unless things go really south or we come across a rash of injuries Greer really isn't going to get much of a shot this year. It sucks and he's earned it IMO, but coaches are always going to play the guy they trust more.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Greer just needs to get an extended look on the 4th line with Kamenev and one of the skilled-smurfs; rather than with Cap’n average & grinder-smurf. Let AJ & Kam geo with a 3rd guy that has hands and Greer would carve out a spot.

Hopefully he comes into camp in better shape than anyone this summer, and Bednar rewards him by giving him that opportunity.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
It would be nice to have a skilled fourth line of Greer-Kamenev-Kaut even if they had to plug it up as a first line in the A for this year I think it would be good going into camp next year. If everyone was healthy I wouldn't mind seeing lines of:

Landy-MacK-Rants
Jost-Sodaberg-Compher
Wilson-Kerfoot-Andrighetto
Greer-Kamenev-Calvert(Unless Kaut is ready this year, but rather not rush him)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I like Greer and think he will find a way to carve out some sort of NHL career, but I think the there is a lot of false hope of it happening here. I just don't see it with Bednar around and Greer hitting waivers next season. I expect a change of scenery swap here in a couple months.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I like Greer and think he will find a way to carve out some sort of NHL career, but I think the there is a lot of false hope of it happening here. I just don't see it with Bednar around and Greer hitting waivers next season. I expect a change of scenery swap here in a couple months.

Those never work out for us tho..

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Greer was always a Roy pick/project. I like him, but I feel like he isn't part of Sakic's plan going forward.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Greer was always a Roy pick/project. I like him, but I feel like he isn't part of Sakic's plan going forward.

That shouldn't be held against him though...he's proven he's a very effective player at the professional level, I don't see why they can't try him in a 2nd/3rd line role. Not like what they have currently is doing terribly better.

Reactions: cgf and CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’m not optimistic about it happening here anymore, but you don’t think that if he maintains his AHL performances he will get one last chance to stake his claim to a regular spot in camp?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad