2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Kaut-Agz-O'Connor has been a constant since Dries went up the second time (yes Kaut plays on the left side here). I'd call that one of the top 6 lines. Whatever line Greer is on is the other top 6 line. It's been Greer-Beaudin-Joly lately but has used Kosmachuk instead of Joly before. Toninato was out for about 3 weeks, when he returned they tried him as the center there instead of Beaudin but that didn't work so he's back to centering more the third line, which was given to Dickinson (who is now in Utah) while he was out. That "third line" usually is some variation of the leftovers like Lewis, Kosmachuk, Joly, now Dries since he's back, and used to be Kaut before he took Dries' spot. Shvyrev centers the fourth line and has had wings such as Bass, Barron, Nantel, plus Lewis on occasion. There were a couple weeks the Eagles had Herbert and Ully called up from Utah and used them in top 6 spots and that didn't work either.
Nice to see you posting! Miss your prospect updates around here.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don’t like Greer. I don’t think he has the skating ability to be a real effective NHL’er. But man is he having himself a season. Hope he keeps proving me wrong.

He deserves to be the next callup and deserves some ice time when that happens.

Is his skating actually significantly worse than Soda / Wilson / Kam? I haven’t watched the eagles, but his skating didn’t bother me when I still watched the rampage.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I don’t like Greer. I don’t think he has the skating ability to be a real effective NHL’er. But man is he having himself a season. Hope he keeps proving me wrong.

Hmm...I see no issue with his skating.

Reactions: LTC Pain

PBhockey

Jun 29, 2015
Blues fan just poking around. I've been kind of following AJ Greer for a few years. Surprised to see comments about his skating. Looked pretty good on the above video. So I'm guessing that he is not well loved with Avs fans. Is there a chance they'll cut him loose? Thanks and all the best for a good , long season.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
He hasn’t gotten much of a shake yet at the NHL level and is progressing nicely in the minors. Given all of the cash the Avs are going to have to start doling out I hope they give him a chance to replace some of their older 3rd or 4th liners next season or one after.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Blues fan just poking around. I've been kind of following AJ Greer for a few years. Surprised to see comments about his skating. Looked pretty good on the above video. So I'm guessing that he is not well loved with Avs fans. Is there a chance they'll cut him loose? Thanks and all the best for a good , long season.

He has his fans ;-)

And I doubt he’s let go this year, but I wouldn’t be shocked to see him get only a 1 year deal to prove himself.

If he can maintain his production this time around, there will be more talent for him to play with whenever he next gets a look...as Kamenev would be hands down the best center AJ has played with for the Avs.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017

Greer skates well actually

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
Kaut-Agz-O'Connor has been a constant since Dries went up the second time (yes Kaut plays on the left side here). I'd call that one of the top 6 lines. Whatever line Greer is on is the other top 6 line. It's been Greer-Beaudin-Joly lately but has used Kosmachuk instead of Joly before. Toninato was out for about 3 weeks, when he returned they tried him as the center there instead of Beaudin but that didn't work so he's back to centering more the third line, which was given to Dickinson (who is now in Utah) while he was out. That "third line" usually is some variation of the leftovers like Lewis, Kosmachuk, Joly, now Dries since he's back, and used to be Kaut before he took Dries' spot. Shvyrev centers the fourth line and has had wings such as Bass, Barron, Nantel, plus Lewis on occasion. There were a couple weeks the Eagles had Herbert and Ully called up from Utah and used them in top 6 spots and that didn't work either.
Hi TV Thanks for the info and nice to hear from you again.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Forgive me if I missed this, but isn't the Pacific division still using winning percentage as standings and not wins/points?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
What are Kaut’s biggest weaknesses? Does he have similar balance issues that Rantanen had at the same age? Would a trainer like Mikko’s be the most helpful or a trainer that focuses more on skills?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What are Kaut’s biggest weaknesses? Does he have similar balance issues that Rantanen had at the same age? Would a trainer like Mikko’s be the most helpful or a trainer that focuses more on skills?

He doesn't really have any big weaknesses, most are nitpicky, age and experience related. But he could work on his first step quickness and get Avs level conditioning over the summer. He's pretty good on his skates especially by the boards but could get stronger on the puck in open ice. He has a big frame and could use it a bit more but he doesn't shy away physically, he's comfortable with contact along the boards. Moving his feet sometimes and pace, he's used to surveying the ice first. Could stand to be more aggressive offensively, that's part of getting comfortable still but he does average about 2 shots per game. Otherwise his game is pretty well-rounded and consistent especially for his age.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He doesn't really have any big weaknesses, most are nitpicky, age and experience related. But he could work on his first step quickness and get Avs level conditioning over the summer. He's pretty good on his skates especially by the boards but could get stronger on the puck in open ice. He has a big frame and could use it a bit more but he doesn't shy away physically, he's comfortable with contact along the boards. Moving his feet sometimes and pace, he's used to surveying the ice first. Could stand to be more aggressive offensively, that's part of getting comfortable still but he does average about 2 shots per game. Otherwise his game is pretty well-rounded and consistent especially for his age.

Any observations about Greer this season that might make a difference in his shot at the NHL?

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta

Well that was a killer synopsis! Greatly appreciated, I think not missing almost an entire off season will help a lot too!

Reactions: tigervixxxen

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Any observations about Greer this season that might make a difference in his shot at the NHL?
I'm hoping they give him the same shot they were giving Kamenev, that might make the greatest difference. I wouldn't say Greer's game is all that different just more consistent and confident. They did have him killing penalties this year so he should be able to handle some of that in the NHL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
For Kaut he was always a player who didn't have a necessarily high ceiling, but has a high floor. Which is why you can say he was a boring pick, but it isn't due to a lack of talent because he clearly has the IQ, two-way, and the ability to read the play which I like.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think he has a bit more upside than he's given credit for most times. Here's his goal from Saturday, the Eagles Twitter gif does not do it justice. I saw that goal live and Kaut's shot is something else. He's scored that type of goal about 4-5 times now and in the third period on each one. I think he will be like Landeskog where his value is consistent in those smart two way abilities but he absolutely can provide some offense, which will be underrated.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I think he has a bit more upside than he's given credit for most times. Here's his goal from Saturday, the Eagles Twitter gif does not do it justice. I saw that goal live and Kaut's shot is something else. He's scored that type of goal about 4-5 times now and in the third period on each one. I think he will be like Landeskog where his value is consistent in those smart two way abilities but he absolutely can provide some offense, which will be underrated.

Yeah I mentioned the same aspect on one of the previous pages that I've noticed a trend in that he's absolutely sniping goals. Some thing he didn't really display during his draft year, but has blossomed with more viewings. In that way, I do buy the notion that he's more skilled than what scouts give him credit for. One aspect is that he isn't flashy, so that probably lost him a couple of draft selections and why people see him being safe to the NHL, but not a game-changer. Personally I see him as a more impactful version of PAP, but should post up the same numbers IMHO.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Thx for the info and I agree with you. I said a few days ago that I see Kaut as doing Landy's role on the second line. I think he will be avery important player for us starting next year. He might start on the 3rd line to get acclimated to the NHL but I see him eventually moving up to the 2nd line.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Anybody has info on Geertsen and Shvyryov? How are they playing?

I see Geertsen has 7 pts in 22 games and is +8 while everybody else are minus players. +/- is not a very good stat but Is he finally starting to put it together or is he being sheltered? What are the D pairings normally?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Others can correct me but I think he's just settling into his role as a top pairing AHL defender. Also helps he's getting good coaching for probably the first time in his pro career. Chynoweth really did suck, didn't he?

Side note: I was curious, so I checked the QMJHL standings. Eric Veilleux's Halifax Mooseheads are currently in 5th place (22-7-1-1) and Patrick Roy's Quebec Remparts are in 11th (14-12-3-3).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad