2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
The question then becomes how is he as a development coach? The coaching needed to win at lower levels is a bit different than what is needed to develop young players. They can coincide at times, but not always. Some coaches can do both, and maybe Schneekloth can do both. But if he is solely focused on winning, then I would rather they find more inclined to develop, even if it means they aren't champs. This is not to say that winning at lower levels is not important....it is. Losing all the time isn't great for development either. But "win at all costs" is too far for me, when the cost is development of young players. But I do think he has earned the chance to stick with the team as the move up to the AHL. And I think with the Cup wins, and the year+ that he played with/for Bednar on the Stingrays, he will be given that chance. (Unless of course he was shipped out of SC because JB did not like him...doubtful).

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The question then becomes how is he as a development coach? The coaching needed to win at lower levels is a bit different than what is needed to develop young players. They can coincide at times, but not always. Some coaches can do both, and maybe Schneekloth can do both. But if he is solely focused on winning, then I would rather they find more inclined to develop, even if it means they aren't champs. This is not to say that winning at lower levels is not important....it is. Losing all the time isn't great for development either. But "win at all costs" is too far for me, when the cost is development of young players. But I do think he has earned the chance to stick with the team as the move up to the AHL. And I think with the Cup wins, and the year+ that he played with/for Bednar on the Stingrays, he will be given that chance. (Unless of course he was shipped out of SC because JB did not like him...doubtful).
Considering all our players showed improvement after coming back from a short stay with the Eagles I think he would be ok as our main coach. But I do agree with your point. One league doesn't always transfer to the other.

Reactions: cgf

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Pumped for the AHL season to start. Going to try to get my football-and-baseball loving in-laws into hockey since they live in Loveland.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't know if they will be good, but at least there are a lot of players I will be interested following.

Francouz, Kaut, Beaudin, Timmins, Meloche, Shvyryov, Greer. I wonder if Morrison will stay in college.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Why? Is he thought of highly or just because he's an ex Av with a cool name?

Was more agreeing to keeping the incumbent around -- based on what's been said in this thread, seems like he's accomplished a decent amount already.

Don't have a problem with bringing Kono in as an assistant, though, if the org thinks he's good.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Guess I'm not buying a jersey then. Tchnically speaking I have an old Denver Grizzlies jersey laying around somewhere, so...

Makes sense geographically but I really would've loved the Swamp Rabbits, or even the Solar Bears.

I am quite disappointed to find out they technically aren't the same franchise. Denver Grizzlies were my 1st hockey team.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Utah Grizzlies it is then (apparently)...

Well done by the Avs. All thee franchises are in the same general geographic area. No massive travel involved in shipping players back and forth, and executives for all three teams can much more easily travel between home games to see every player in the organization. I don't care about the jersey personally, so I see no negatives here.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I am quite disappointed to find out they technically aren't the same franchise. Denver Grizzlies were my 1st hockey team.

I can still remember the Ft. Collins youth league going all in with a full rebrand and patterned their logos, names, and colors after the Grizzlies. Must've cost a pretty penny. Then they left the next year. :laugh: They had a nice rink, unfortunately I'll always remember it as the one I broke my collarbone in during a game.

I suppose in a very roundabout way it's the same franchise, they bought the rights at least.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Avs must be very happy to finally have two regional affiliates in such close proximity. With the unlikelihood of an AHL and ECHL team both in Colorado at the same time, this is best case scenario for them.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So far we have....

Andrew Agozzino - Vlad Kamenev - AJ Greer
XXX XXX - JC Beaudin - Martin Kaut
Ty Lewis - Igor Shvyryov - Julien Nantel
Travis Barron - Josh Dickinson - XXX XXX

David Warsofsky - Nicolas Meloche
Sergei Boikov - Ryan Graves
Mason Geertsen - Conor Timmins