2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Happy to see Beaudin get some points. You need to at least be an average scorer in the AHL to be a bottom six forward in the NHL. It's very rare to be a black hole in the AHL and be able to play in the NHL.

Same goes for Greer. He needs to show offense in the AHL.

Reactions: cgf

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Shyvrev is feisty, quick, and skilled. Still raw and need to adjust to ahl. He should get this season and then be ready to carry the load with lewis, beaudin and kaut next year.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Happy to see Beaudin get some points. You need to at least be an average scorer in the AHL to be a bottom six forward in the NHL. It's very rare to be a black hole in the AHL and be able to play in the NHL.

Same goes for Greer. He needs to show offense in the AHL.
It is early but Greer is on pp/g pace

Reactions: klozge

TatteredTornNFrayed

ocelot spleens, ...
Jan 15, 2008
Greer made a really nice play on the 4th goal. I originally thought Kosmachuk forced and recovered the turnover, but it was all Greer on the turnover and then he dished a sweet assist for the Kosmachuk goal.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Greer made a really nice play on the 4th goal. I originally thought Kosmachuk forced and recovered the turnover, but it was all Greer on the turnover and then he dished a sweet assist for the Kosmachuk goal.
Greer has good speed and nice bow legged stride , not sure why some say his skating is bad , head great skater. He stands out in the AHL , he'll be called up at some point and the waiver fodder can be waived again.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

AJ tends to pull some impressive passes. His skill level has been long under-rated, but it was his shooting that i was more confident in translating.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Went to the Eagles game Saturday night and just wanted to share a few thoughts.

Lines were:
Dries - Agozzino - O'Conner
Greer - Beaudin - Kosmachuck
Lewis - Dickinson - Kaut
Barron - Shvyrev - Nantel

Warsofsky - Alt
Lindholm - Graves
Geertsen - Meloche

-Kaut was clearly the best player on the ice. He may not be putting up a lot of points yet, but he was very impressive to watch and always made the proper play. I thought Kaut's skating was really smooth for his size. He was on the right wing/point on the #1 power play and looked to be more of a distributor in that role since he's right-handed and isn't in a shooting spot in that part of the ice. Beaudin and Greer also had really nice games.

-Francouz is actually pronounced Fran-soo-z not Fran-coo-z like I though...huh. Anyway, I though Francouz was really impressive. Held a shutout through the first two periods and made some nice saves in doing so. The first goal he gave up was on Francouz. It was a shot that he should've gloved, but he couldn't hang on, and Ontario jumped on the rebound. Second goal wasn't his fault at all; centering pass through the crease got deflected in by Graves. Third goal was a cross-ice pass for a one-timer that he didn't have much chance on.

-Shvyrev didn't stand out, and he didn't get as much ice time as I had hoped. It'd be nice to see what he could do with better linemates or more power play time. He did play with a lot of energy and hustle which was good to see. Still a big "work in progress" though. He's listed as similar height/weight to Kaut and Beaudin, but he looks much smaller and plays much smaller than the other two.

-Geertsen may never make it to the NHL, but thank goodness he's on that team to protect the kids. Ontario really gooned it up in the second period. The Reign just aren't very good. Clague and Moulson are the only interesting names on that roster, and neither of those guys stood out at all.

It was a great atmosphere, and I'd recommend making the drive up from Denver if anyone is thinking about going to a game. That team has some talent, and they're fun to watch. I'll be going back.

edit: One more note on Francouz, he's really active and likes to play the puck. He flung it down the ice for a clear on the penalty kill.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not saying you're wrong Redhawk, but Shvyrev definitely plays a more physical style than Kaut and Beaudin. Actually, majority of people including myself think that Beaudin won't make it into the NHL until he starts showing some more physical toughness. An aspect which Shvyrev has displayed so far in the early goings of his NA career.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
JCB isn’t ever gunna be a big hitter, but I think as he grows into his body and gets fully settled in he’ll start to impose himself in battles. Sorta like Soda without the temper.

But this year I’m just looking to see him get settled in at this level from a skill perspective. We saw in junior that he needed a year to adjust his skills to the new level, so even if he’s still getting pushed around more than hoped I’ll be happy if his puck skills become a positive...even if there isn’t a ton of a production to go with it when all’s said and done.

He’s a bit of a forgotten man in our forward hierarchy but there’s still things I really like about Beaudin as a depth forward / top AHL call up.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
He is only on a 1 year contract so we would have to resign him to a longer term deal but I agree. Last year showed me that a legit SC contender needs 3 viable options in goal imo.

Francouz’s 1 year “show me” deal coupled with Varly’s expiring contract seems to be motivating both of them so far. Varly won’t go down easily and is looking for another payday, probably the last big one of his career.

Grubauer is safe, but I expect only one of Varlamov or Francouz with the organization next year.

When Varly’s groin falls apart in January or so, Frankie will get a real good audition in the big league.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO

Lines were:
Lewis - Dickinson - Kaut

Warsofsky - Alt
Lindholm - Graves
Geertsen - Meloche

-Kaut was clearly the best player on the ice. He may not be putting up a lot of points yet, but he was very impressive to watch and always made the proper play. I thought Kaut's skating was really smooth for his size. He was on the right wing/point on the #1 power play and looked to be more of a distributor in that role since he's right-handed and isn't in a shooting spot in that part of the ice. Beaudin and Greer also had really nice games.

-Francouz is actually pronounced Fran-soo-z not Fran-coo-z like I though...huh. Anyway, I though Francouz was really impressive. Held a shutout through the first two periods and made some nice saves in doing so. The first goal he gave up was on Francouz. It was a shot that he should've gloved, but he couldn't hang on, and Ontario jumped on the rebound. Second goal wasn't his fault at all; centering pass through the crease got deflected in by Graves. Third goal was a cross-ice pass for a one-timer that he didn't have much chance on.

-Shvyrev didn't stand out, and he didn't get as much ice time as I had hoped. It'd be nice to see what he could do with better linemates or more power play time. He did play with a lot of energy and hustle which was good to see. Still a big "work in progress" though. He's listed as similar height/weight to Kaut and Beaudin, but he looks much smaller and plays much smaller than the other two.

-Geertsen may never make it to the NHL, but thank goodness he's on that team to protect the kids. Ontario really gooned it up in the second period. The Reign just aren't very good. Clague and Moulson are the only interesting names on that roster, and neither of those guys stood out at all.

It was a great atmosphere, and I'd recommend making the drive up from Denver if anyone is thinking about going to a game. That team has some talent, and they're fun to watch. I'll be going back.

How about Frankensooz :) :) :)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Lines were:
Lewis - Dickinson - Kaut

Warsofsky - Alt
Lindholm - Graves
Geertsen - Meloche

Glad to hear that about Kaut.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Not saying you're wrong Redhawk, but Shvyrev definitely plays a more physical style than Kaut and Beaudin. Actually, majority of people including myself think that Beaudin won't make it into the NHL until he starts showing some more physical toughness. An aspect which Shvyrev has displayed so far in the early goings of his NA career.

Shvyrev is definitely feisty and has a high compete-level; I just found it odd that he looks so much smaller on the ice than the other two when he's listed at similar sizes (Shvyrev 6'1" 190, Beaudin 6'2" 187, Kaut 6'2" 180). Neither JCB nor Kaut played particularly physically, but one thing I really liked about Kaut's game was his ability to use his body to shield the puck when he had possession, similar to the way Rantanen uses his body to keep possession.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Francouz’s 1 year “show me” deal coupled with Varly’s expiring contract seems to be motivating both of them so far. Varly won’t go down easily and is looking for another payday, probably the last big one of his career.

Grubauer is safe, but I expect only one of Varlamov or Francouz with the organization next year.

When Varly’s groin falls apart in January or so, Frankie will get a real good audition in the big league.

If one of Varly/Francouz is coming back my bet is on Francouz. Sakic gave Varly a clear message in the summer when he traded for Grubauer: We've found our future starter. Right now this is just Varly showing he's capable of still being a no. 1 goalie in the NHL to teams who will need a starter next season.

Reactions: cgf
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->