2018-19 Colorado Eagles (AHL) and Utah Grizzlies (ECHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah but what? Say all three goalies are playing well.

I have no idea. It's why I think it will be a very interesting situation to see unfold.

The Avs obviously value both Frankie and Grubauer a lot. I mean they gave up a pick to get Grubs and proceeded to sign him for 3 years. And they put a lot of effort in to get Frankie to come to North America and sign with us.

I cant see them wanting to move on from either of those guys anytime soon. But on the flip side, if Varly stays healthy and playing like he has, what do you do with him? He's been really good with us his entire tenure here when healthy. And if he's the one backstopping this team towards another playoff berth come January, can you really move on from him in favor of the other two? Especially if the other two really are playing very well themselves. Varly could have a lot of trade deadline value.

Could be quite the interesting situation to watch unfold over the next few months. It would be much easier if Francouz was an RFA and we knew for certain we would have him back next season. But as an impending UFA himself I think something will need to unfold between the three of them this year.

Reactions: McMetal

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Trade varlamov for a sweet package and run with francouz and grub.

Franc has made a joke out of the khl the past 2 seasons (led sv % both years), and now is doing It to the ahl(leading sv% and gaa). Its entirely possible he is currently the best goalie in the world outside of the nhl.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Francouz looking good early in the AHL should be no surprise, after all he has been the best goalie in the 2nd best league in the world. My projection for him is to become a mid level starter in the NHL.

Reactions: cgf

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
It really is. If he could stay healthy I'd want Varly back 100%, but that's such a question mark. And Grubauer has been good, not great but good. While Francouz is off to a fantastic start in the AHL.

I can't see them moving on from Grubauer after trading/signing him just this summer, and Varly is a UFA... but if he keeps playing the way he has how do you possibly let him go?

I kind of wish we didn't go after Grubauer and instead went for a 1 year stop gap backup and give Francouz that role next season/split with Varly.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Francouz looking good early in the AHL should be no surprise, after all he has been the best goalie in the 2nd best league in the world. My projection for him is to become a mid level starter in the NHL.

Yeah I think so as well. But I also wouldn't even rule out him being an elite quality starter in the NHL.

He's just such an unknown to North America. But you dont put up those kind of elite numbers in the KHL without being very good. And who knows how well he could translate that game to the NHL level. I mean he's clearly translating to the North American game and the AHL with ease. Maybe the same thing happens when he goes up to the highest level.

To me, Frankie might just be the most interesting non roster player the Avs have right now. His upside to me is completely unknown. But the one thing that becomes more clear with every passing game he plays, is that we could have a really, really good goalie in our system just waiting for his chance.

It really is. If he could stay healthy I'd want Varly back 100%, but that's such a question mark. And Grubauer has been good, not great but good. While Francouz is off to a fantastic start in the AHL.

I can't see them moving on from Grubauer after trading/signing him just this summer, and Varly is a UFA... but if he keeps playing the way he has how do you possibly let him go?

I kind of wish we didn't go after Grubauer and instead went for a 1 year stop gap backup and give Francouz that role next season/split with Varly.

Yeah, I mean with the benefit of hindsight especially, it would have been really nice to of used that 2nd round pick and a couple other minor assets to get Jeff Skinner instead. And just brought back Bernier for 1 more year behind Varly.

But at the time of the deal, the Grubauer acquisition turned goaltending from a real question mark for us into a major strength. Having one of the best backups(If not the best) on our team on top of a really good starter who's only real concern was health. And then also having added one of the best goalies in the world not in the NHL as well.

We made our goaltending a strength very, very quickly this summer. In hindsight just making the one move of adding Frankie might have been all that we needed to do. But now we're in a potential position to deal from a strength to help a weakness again in the near future.

Cant forget that we also drafted one of the better available goalies in the 2019 draft as well in Annunen. Depth in net is very true for us currently.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Or we could just sign Varly long term and have two awesome goalies in Grubs + Varly. Francouz gets a backup chance in the NHL somewhere else, but helps us compete for the AHL playoffs this year. Never bad going after a potential starter goalie and only give up a mid 2nd rounder.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Or we just wait for Varly's groin to act up again so we can give Frank a look in the NHL. If all three are getting it done in the NHL and Varly's back in action soon; then it becomes time for some risk/reward and cost/benefit analyses...while checking what the trade market has to offer for any of them.

For now, let Frank keep getting used to NA while starting to get some practices in with the NHL squad to get to know the guys before he's eventually called upon to step in.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I have no idea. It's why I think it will be a very interesting situation to see unfold.

The Avs obviously value both Frankie and Grubauer a lot. I mean they gave up a pick to get Grubs and proceeded to sign him for 3 years. And they put a lot of effort in to get Frankie to come to North America and sign with us.

I cant see them wanting to move on from either of those guys anytime soon. But on the flip side, if Varly stays healthy and playing like he has, what do you do with him? He's been really good with us his entire tenure here when healthy. And if he's the one backstopping this team towards another playoff berth come January, can you really move on from him in favor of the other two? Especially if the other two really are playing very well themselves. Varly could have a lot of trade deadline value.

Could be quite the interesting situation to watch unfold over the next few months. It would be much easier if Francouz was an RFA and we knew for certain we would have him back next season. But as an impending UFA himself I think something will need to unfold between the three of them this year.

I'm usually a glass half full person, but the fact that Varly and Frank are both UFAs scares me. Things could go from amazing to, "oh shit," in a hot minute.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I'm usually a glass half full person, but the fact that Varly and Frank are both UFAs scares me. Things could go from amazing to, "oh ****," in a hot minute.

It should be of some concern. It means the Avs have to make a decision sooner rather than later - i.e. this season - because Francouz isn't going to re-sign if he's not at least guaranteed the backup role next year, and probably not if he doesn't get some real NHL time this season as well. If Varly is re-signed Francouz is gone, and if you re-sign Francouz it's because he's gotten some decent playing time, looked good, and you're letting Varly go / already let him go.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I'm not really concerned. By the end of the season we'll have Grubs and one of Varly/Francouz, who it is depends on how the season unravels. If Varly gets hurt again long term, he's probably gone. If he stays healthy and Francouz never really gets NHL time, it's more likely that he's the one gone.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not really concerned. By the end of the season we'll have Grubs and one of Varly/Francouz, who it is depends on how the season unravels. If Varly gets hurt again long term, he's probably gone. If he stays healthy and Francouz never really gets NHL time, it's more likely that he's the one gone.

Yeah but it's a position in which Sakic will have zero leverage. Which can go the wrong way really quickly if a decisive decision isn't made. I don't know, I really don't want to be a downer about it. It's just in the back of my mind.

Keeping Varly and Grubs both would be an expensive allocation to the goal-tending position that's for sure.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah but it's a position in which Sakic will have zero leverage. Which can go the wrong way really quickly if a decisive decision isn't made. I don't know, I really don't want to be a downer about it. It's just in the back of my mind.

Keeping Varly and Grubs both would be an expensive allocation to the goal-tending position that's for sure.
I'd love to keep all three but I know that isn't possible. To be completely honest my preference would be re-sign Varly and have Francouz hit the market versus the other way around. Barring that he stays healthy.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Best-case scenario if all three goalies play ridiculously well and stay healthy, I think they keep all three past the deadline, let Varly walk in the offseason, and promote Franz. I don't really see the scenario where they deal one before then.

Yeah as much as I'd like an asset. I doubt they take the risk of one guy going down.

Reactions: Pokecheque

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
It depends on what sort of offers are coming in for varlamov. If you receive a significant offer (mid 1st), you take it. If you don't receive a half decent offer (only a 2nd+3rd or something), you keep him for the playoffs.

DanishAvsfan

Aug 27, 2007
5-3 win. It looks like we may finally have a good AHL team. Did aynone watch the game? Would very much appreciate some notes on our key prospects.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It depends on what sort of offers are coming in for varlamov. If you receive a significant offer (mid 1st), you take it. If you don't receive a half decent offer (only a 2nd+3rd or something), you keep him for the playoffs.

Right, if someone offers something big I could see Sakic doing it, but I just don't see a team making that move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->